Better Than Starbucks discussion

How to pick your next book

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela (asheck) | 17 comments I currently have just shy of 400 books on my kindle (and a few on reserve at the library that I am impatiently waiting for.) I just finished reading Shutter Island and am having a hard time deciding what I want to read next! I could start with Mystic River, but that seems too easy.

How does everyone choose their next book? Do you just pick something up and start reading? Do you have a stack waiting in the wings? (I usually do, but this time I don't have a ready stack.) Do you browse a few before diving in?

message 2: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Stewart (haybop) I first decide whether I want to go paper book or eBook... then I look at them and just filter through what sort of read I want and then which ones sound appealing and then eeny, meeny, miney, moe - not very logical but it works for me ;)

message 3: by Ruth (new)

Ruth I look at my To Read list and see what strikes my fancy.

message 4: by Seamus (new)

Seamus Duggan (SeamusDuggan) | 69 comments I walk into my room of books which is lined with bookshelves and follow wherever my nose leads me. I often group books I intend reading soon on one shelf but often pick outside of this. With (far) over 1000 unread books on my shelves organisation seems futile.

message 5: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Reilly (tracyreilly) Very little organization for me except the stack of books on my nightstand, more or less stacked with the topmost being the one that will be next.
But too often, I will hear about something, sometimes on this website, or from a friend, and impulse always wins out uber alles. Certain friends' recommendations always hit me right.

Some things are just an ongoing process, particularly books to do with languages I'm trying to learn. Some on my nightstand are rereads, some from a bookclub I belong to...( I do try to prioritize those, unless I can't get into the book at all).

message 6: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) I have to agree w/ Tracy, "impulse always wins" -- I'll often resort my unread books and have maybe 10 to 20 nearby that are at the so-called "top of my priority list"... As soon as I do that, I end up reading something from the library first or something someone mentioned online. I have found that while I enjoy nonfiction, I really am not happy unless the reading ratio is tilted in favor of fiction by about 3 or 4 to 1--anybody else feel this way? Any time I hear of an interesting book, I add it to the future reading list.

message 7: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Wow. I'm floored by the number of unread books some of you have around the house. I never have more than 4 or 5 and they're usually stacked on the piano bench.

message 8: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) No more than 4 or 5, Ruth?!! I don't even remember the last time I could say that... Maybe 20 years ago. I'm not sure. You must be either a very disciplined book buyer or disciplined reader.

message 9: by Ruth (new)

Ruth I have a huge TBR list. But don't generally buy more books until th bottom of the barrel is showing.

message 10: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee (new)

Anthony Watkins (anthonyuplandpoetwatkins) | 495 comments Mod
wow Ruth, we have somewhere in excess of 3000 books shelved in our house. i have read about 1000, my wife nearly 2000, some of our reading, maybe 500 overlap, there must be at least 500 books i might someday read that are on my shelves. at my rate of a dozen or so reads per year, and my habit of picking up at least that many books each year, the back log is likely only to grow until my death....

message 11: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) Ruth, you are killing the publishing industry--I hope you're at least buying books as gifts ; )

message 12: by Seamus (new)

Seamus Duggan (SeamusDuggan) | 69 comments Well, Marc, I have thousands of books but am not helping the publishing industry as they are almost all bought second hand.

message 13: by Ruth (new)

Ruth I buy books all the time. I read about 100 a year, mostly not counting poetry. We had about 3000 books until 6 years ago when we culled about half of them in order to fit into a smaller house.

message 14: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) I think about half the books I acquire each year are second-hand. I'm sure no one on Goodreads is damaging the publishing industry! If I only bought new, there's no way, I'd have as many unread books.

message 15: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Reilly (tracyreilly) I'm thinking of making a wall---or better yet, an addition with mine. I couldn't even say I had 5 books when I was 5 and just learned to read---I had 10 Dr. Suesses at least.

message 16: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Reilly (tracyreilly) I'm thinking of making a wall---or better yet, an addition, with mine. I couldn't even say I had 5 books when I was 5 and just learned to read---I had 10 Dr. Suesses at least.

message 17: by Angela (new)

Angela (asheck) | 17 comments I just looked at my reading progress for the year. I'm 18% behind schedule! I said I'd read 45 this year and I've only read 15 so far. This is attributable to two factors: my new job really interferes with my reading time, and I've picked some not so fast reads. I'm currently reading Life of Pi and it's a fairly slow read so far. I'm hoping it speeds up. I have not seen the movie yet. I guess when choosing my next book, I'll have to pick a few quick and easy reads so I can get caught up.

message 18: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Draffin (tarsier) This is my first posting here and having just read the pop-up group rules, I am now completely petrified. (Silence with intermittent chirps.)

".....can not be boring or stupid and must generate light, hurl stones at fools, and make a small fire."

Well, in the middle of unsettled nights, Sox (my pathetically tasteless feline who I believe to be a Twighlight, and Shades of Grey fan) pounces on sloppy book piles and pulls down stuffed overflow from bookshelves all over the house. While I restore the volumes to their gravity defying emplacements, I will often choose the most evocative title or beautiful cover to sit at my reading table. If it is winter, I make a small fire, and a cup of espresso while I download a random selection from my extensive Audible.com Wishlist, then pick up my Nook and find whatever best promises the answer to a question I hadn't thought to ask. To whom does an embedded diplomat owe his loyalties?

message 19: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee (new)

Anthony Watkins (anthonyuplandpoetwatkins) | 495 comments Mod
Have no fear, you have run the gauntlet splendidly! If you felt no lash this time, it is safe to assume you are safely past the dark corridor:)

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I select my next read by perusing my shelves for a spine design that catches my eye, then I read the blurb on the back or inside cover. If I am intrigued, I read the first couple pages of the potential book, and if I find that I don't want to stop reading, I plow through it!