Dan Brown discussion

Inferno (Robert Langdon, #4)
This topic is about Inferno
Getting tired of obvious cliches

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Imtiaz Ahmed (theratulz) | 7 comments Is it just me, or is it the fact that his cliches are getting rather too obvious? I mean, I still love his books, I really liked Inferno as it had a great plot, an astounding philosophy and quite the climax. But there was a part of me that was really annoyed to find out cliches like him being the center of attention (obviously he's going to be the center of attention, but not like this....not always like this), having female accomplices, people like The Provost, The Teacher etc, and the squads like Consortium, Delta Force etc, facing people who evidently look bad, and turns out to be the holiest of holy people...I understand that's a maximum requirement for a mystery novel, but he could at least change the styles to introduce something new, right? I think he just reached the limit of cliches, and having similar cliches on his next book would just be an overkill of great Robert Langdon series.

Fernando | 21 comments Agree

Mike Sawson | 29 comments Not sure what you're driving at, but I doubt it has much to do with cliches. If there is no conflict, there is no story. Every good tale needs an antagonist and to me Brown was very creative with how he kept us guessing on who/what was Landgon's antagonist.

Perhaps it is Langdon who is the source of your troubled thoughts? Thanks to Hollywood, we now see Tom Hanks as the good doctor. It was difficult for me to block that image as I read these past 2 novels. Like a fly buzzing around my head, it won't go away..

Imtiaz Ahmed (theratulz) | 7 comments As I've mentioned earlier...what Dan Brown has been portraying in his novels are essential elements of a mystery thriller. However, even though you think he's being creative, I think he can bring in much more in the table for us in a very different way. Reading through all of his books made me realize how predictable his work has become and that's what concerns me the most.

I have seen Tom Hanks in action as Robert Langdon, but I don't think that made much of an impact on me as I'm one of the guys who think the movies were complete bullshit as Da Vinci Code alone should've been in 5 parts if they had to cover all the details Dan mentioned in the book. I'm judging the cliches and predictabilities solely based on the books and where you're thinking is Dan is being really creative about things, I think he just ran out of them in Inferno. My point was, up till this book, it was good...but if he is to keep Langdon alive, he needs to come up with something different in the coming books.

Mike Sawson | 29 comments Short term amnesia was new. Lost his clothes and coveted watch. I think you have the bar set way too high..

Imtiaz Ahmed (theratulz) | 7 comments ...can't help it. He did create something epic called "The Da Vinci Code" :/

Samantha (samswindle) | 6 comments I know Dan Brown uses a similar/same plot type in his books, but I am such a history nut that I enjoy his ramblings that explain about symbols, places, religions, extinct enemies of Catholocism(SP), etc. I've learn a good bit of history from his books--although I'll admit that I have do my own research after I read his books to see what is 'real' and how much is a figment of Dan Brown's imagination. The fact that he is always the center of attention and the younger women like him doesn't bother me. That's just part of the story line and I tend to expect it from most authors male or female.
Dan Brown does a good job of making me think and pushing me to do my own research which I love. I'm looking forward to reading Inferno!!

Imtiaz Ahmed (theratulz) | 7 comments I'm not arguing about the fact that he's a great writer, great details in his writing or the fact that things like these. I wouldn't have been a fan if I criticized these aspects...I'm looking forward to him bringing in some fresh aspects to his books. The cliches can also be de-cliched if they are portrayed in different manner. That's all I'm looking for really.

Samantha (samswindle) | 6 comments Oh I agree with you totally Imtiaz!! I would love to see some growth and maturity to the story lines. I just get so hung up on the historical references that I can't help but love his books!!! LOL!! Yes, I'm a nerd!!! Although The Lost Symbol was hard for me to get into. Once I got into it though, I couldn't put it down. Those poor Masons get blamed for everything!! LOL!!
I just wish people would read the books before seeing the movies and putting down the stories. I'm not sure how anyone could even follow the movies without having read the books and even then so many of the historical references are left out of the movies. My husband is not a reader, but he watches the movies with me. He says he gets them, but I think he says that because he knows I'll try to explain it all to him if he doesn't just agree with me !! LOL!!!! And of course I still point out all the errors!!!

Imtiaz Ahmed (theratulz) | 7 comments No one should ever watch movies before reading the books. I made similar mistakes by watching Bourne and Kite Runner and I decided not to do that again. The Langdon movies suck, considering the books are way faster and more detailed. I think you'll really like Inferno, it's a significant improvement from Lost Symbol.

Samantha (samswindle) | 6 comments I'm excited to read it. I'm expecting an Amazon gift card for my bday in August so I'm waiting to get Inferno on my Kindle!! I'm just cheap!!!

message 12: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike Sawson | 29 comments Maybe it's a semantics issue, but I don't think cliche is being used properly in describing your point.

Samantha (samswindle) | 6 comments Well a cliche is technically an overused opinion or phrase that shows a lack of original thought. While DB's books have often followed a similar action plot, I definitely think that his ideas for the underlying storylines are original and unusual for popular fiction. They are also researched well and make you think and learn about things you may not have known before.
So maybe 'cliche' is not the best word to use to use, but I understand what both of you are trying to say-Mike and Imtiaz.

Imtiaz Ahmed (theratulz) | 7 comments Well, I had to use it for lack of any other words. I understand it might have came down a bit harsh on Dan, but I had to pick a word nonetheless.

Samantha (samswindle) | 6 comments I get it!! I do that all the time!! I understand what you're saying

Faten (faten_dova) | 5 comments maybe u r right
although the style is always the same, the plots are always original.
and u can't ask from a writer to change his style; that's what makes him a writer special; his own style.
i know u mean the people surrounding him, and those he faces, but the thrill is always there.
A mystery is never abvious with him. :D

message 17: by Bri Leyva (last edited Aug 19, 2013 04:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bri Leyva | 2 comments Samantha wrote: "I know Dan Brown uses a similar/same plot type in his books, but I am such a history nut that I enjoy his ramblings that explain about symbols, places, religions, extinct enemies of Catholocism(SP)..."

I completely agree with you! After every book I read I find myself doing my own research, and I was surprised how much of Inferno is true. Everyone is talking Inferno down, when in reality it is the most thought worthy since it focuses on the future instead of the past.

Iliyan (iltrifonov) | 3 comments Yea, same here. In fact, I believe that thanks to Dan Brown a lot of paintnings/ places/ symbols have got quite popular to most people who weren't that interested in art/ culture.