YA New York Times Bestsellers List discussion

Divergent (Divergent, #1)
This topic is about Divergent
Archieved Monthly Read > Divergent {June 2013}

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Air (new) - rated it 5 stars

Air (air-bear967) I am so excited to read this! I received it as a gift in January and I haven't had a chance to read it, so I am really looking forward to it!

Cherene I have started listening to it through audiobook. What do you think so far?

message 3: by Air (new) - rated it 5 stars

Air (air-bear967) Honestly? I have only read chapter one so far, lol. I don't know if I am far enough into it to actually have an opinion yet. I am hoping to get a good chunk of it finished over the weekend (Friday-Tuesday, when I work at the Drive-in);have you gotten very far into it yet?

Tiffany Cooper (tiffanycooper) I've read it. It's really good :)

message 5: by Air (new) - rated it 5 stars

Air (air-bear967) It sounds amazing!

Cherene I'm on Chapter 11. It's good so far, but I'm going to switch to paperback. This girl reading it is very... monotone. This is why I don't usually do audiobooks.

Tiffany Cooper (tiffanycooper) It's kind of like hunger games, but I thought it was written a lot better. It's a real page turner once it gets going. My moms even read it lol.

message 8: by Air (new) - rated it 5 stars

Air (air-bear967) I am afraid I won't finish it before the end of the month, it's been a crazy one. I am taking it to work with me tonight in hopes of getting father along.

I really enjoy what I have read so far; I really like the idea of the different factions, each with their own specific value of life and their own symbols (in the glass bowl) and color scheme (which I hope they keep in the movie!!!!)

message 9: by Cherene (last edited Jun 29, 2013 08:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cherene We can keep discussing it. lol It's been a busy couple months, so I'll be finishing both of them late.

Someone said that people are not organized by virtues - in one of the reviews, - but I feel that is exactly what religion and friendship is. So, it's interesting to read her take on how it would play in Government.

Although, I'm not sure I would agree that anyone would let one fraction run the government. Even if they were known for a selfless virtue.

Tiffany - What did your Mom think?

message 10: by Air (new) - rated it 5 stars

Air (air-bear967) I loved it! I think that people would let one faction rule the government for a while if they stepped up in a crisis, Napoleon is a great example.

Cherene I actually really enjoyed it. I just can't get past how much it bothered me that (view spoiler) She was a really action based writer, which was cool. Even Hunger Games seemed slow compared to Divergent. lol

message 12: by Air (new) - rated it 5 stars

Air (air-bear967) I actually liked that Four said she wasn't beautiful. Even when you are in love, you aren't blind. It was honest and I liked that, I also liked that the female lead wasn't perfect for a change. She wasn't the smartest, prettiest, strongest, etc, like so many writers tend to do. Nobody is perfect and I think that is honestly what I enjoyed most about this series is that none of the characters are perfect, they are human.

Cherene I have never actually met anyone that was attracted to someone emotionally that found them physically unattractive. Not that I found she should have been pretty, just that a potential mate would usually find you so, even if you're not by society standards. Per example, a woman has a baby and has 40 extra pounds. The rest of the world might just see the extra weight, but the new Father finds her more beautiful than ever/