The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Help me pick a dystopian!

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Isabella (new)

Isabella (bellavinter) Hey people!
I have really felt like reading a dystopian YA book lately, and I have quite a lot... so my question is; which one should I read? My favorite books are Divergent 1-2, the Delirium trilogy, Shatter Me 1-2 (incl. Destroy Me) and The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden.
So here's the list:
The Program - Suzanne Young
Eve and Adam - Michael Grant
What's Left of Me - Kat Zhang
Uglies - Scott Westerfeld
The 5th Wave - Rick Yancey
The Hunt - Andrew Fukuda
Black City - Elizabeth Richards
Legend - Marie Lu
The Maze Runner - James Dashner
Reached - Ally Condie (I have read Matched & Crossed)
Poison Princess - Kresley Cole
Darkness Breaks - Jessica Sorensen

Which one do you prefer? And with my taste in books, which one do you think I'll like?
Please help!
//Bella
(Written on cellphone)

message 2: by Christian (new)

Christian Maria Morgan I have a whole shelf of dystopian books. If you visit my profile, you can check out my dystopian shelf.

I'm too lazy to write all their titles. Sorry!

message 3: by Rameela (Star) (new)

Rameela (Star) (starshynebrite) I recently read Uglies and I thought it was really good!!!
I think you may like Legend since the main character is pretty awesome girl! XD hehe. The sequel's really good also!
I haven't read any of teh others, but now would be a greta time to say; READ HUNGER GAMES IF YOU HAVEN'T (Even though I think most everyone has).

message 4: by Yesenia (new)

Yesenia Maqueda (annechase) | 140 comments I would recommend Uglies. That was a really good book. Loyalties are tested and truths are revealed.

message 5: by Isabella (new)

Isabella (bellavinter) Thanks guys! I think I have pretty much narrowed it down to Legend, Uglies or The Maze Runner! I have read The Hunger Games of course ^^

message 6: by Yesenia (new)

Yesenia Maqueda (annechase) | 140 comments Who hasn't read the hunger games, honestly?

message 7: by Isabella (new)

Isabella (bellavinter) Exactly! You kind of have to... It's what got me interested in dystopian ^^

message 8: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 3558 comments If you want to add some more Dystopian to your to-read list for later on, then consider the following two. Personally, I really liked those.

We  by Yevgeny Zamyatin and The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

message 9: by Vivienne (new)

Vivienne | 8 comments I read Uglies years ago and remember liking it however i heard thr sequels aren't great. For true dystopian novels I would recommend 1984 and Brave New World. Both are great!

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary Acuña (maryecaa) | 24 comments Read Legend! It's gooood!

message 11: by Isabella (new)

Isabella (bellavinter) I am reading Legend first!
Thanks everyone!

message 12: by Rameela (Star) (new)

Rameela (Star) (starshynebrite) HG is what got me into dystopia also!

here are some other YA dystopia:
-Gone series
-Matched
-Delirium
-The Selection
-Divergent
-The always war
-Ender's Games

message 13: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Perry | 229 comments okay I love dystopia novels. Maybe you should check out the classic ones like 1984 by George Orwell and The Giver series by Louis Lowry. I highly recommend those and they have boys as the heroes instead of girls. I think its funny that all the heroes have been ladies lately.

message 14: by Alverta (new)

Alverta Shackelford | 4 comments Legend is amazing!

message 15: by Isabella (new)

Isabella (bellavinter) Star Shyne Brite (Stargirl) wrote: "HG is what got me into dystopia also!

here are some other YA dystopia:
-Gone series
-Matched
-Delirium
-The Selection
-Divergent
-The always war
-Ender's Games"

I have read Matched, Delirium, The Selection, Divergent + Shatter Me, Fade and so on. But thanks for the Gone series, The Always War, Ender's Games.

Brittany wrote: "okay I love dystopia novels. Maybe you should check out the classic ones like 1984 by George Orwell and The Giver series by Louis Lowry. I highly recommend those and they have boys as the heroes in..."
¨
Thanks! Yeah, it is kind of funny. I must admit I find it more relatable to read about girls/women, because I am a girl myself. But I think it has something to do with the fact that most dystopia writers lately has been women, while many was men 10-30 years ago. :)

message 16: by Rameela (Star) (new)

Rameela (Star) (starshynebrite) COOLIO! XD

message 17: by Beverley (new)

Beverley Jones | 9 comments I'm just getting into YA dystopian and really enjoyed Blood Red Road by Moira Young. It's sort of Hunger Games meets Gladiator with a sassy (surprise) female heroine. Technically it's 'post apocalyptic/dystopian' but is a bit grittier and better written than some of the YA stuff.

I also enjoyed the first two in the Gone series.

message 18: by Priscillia (new)

Priscillia (prickylia) | 7 comments apart from the classic dystopian texts like 1984, clockwork orange, the handmaid's tale or Fahrenheit 451, i would recommend The Testing. it has just been published recently on 4th june, and it is very similar to The Hunger Games since I see that you like that alot. It's quite a special book I would say.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Our whole 7th grade Honors English class was based on utopia/ dystopia so I know quite a few books. Try Animal Farm and The Lord of the Flies. Also The Giver series, they're making it into a movie!

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahjean76) | 2 comments What about the life as we knew it, loved that one. Currently reading shatter me and it is really quite boring, more about the relationship between two main characters and how they can't keep their hands off each other. YAWN!

✿.Ⓐⓟⓞⓞⓡⓥⓐ.✿ (apoorvak) Divergent. Divergent, Divergent... Oh and Divergent.

✿.Ⓐⓟⓞⓞⓡⓥⓐ.✿ (apoorvak) UGLIES!!!!!!!!! But they get worse after the amazing first book...

✿.Ⓐⓟⓞⓞⓡⓥⓐ.✿ (apoorvak) OMG READ REACHED!

message 24: by Rain (new)

Rain (suddenlies) | 66 comments either the maze runner or legend!

message 25: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) So the best dystopian I've read and high=ly recommend is Battle Royale by Koushun Takami . This is a must read.

message 26: by Cassey (new)

Cassey Zagala | 6 comments Fahrenheit 451 and The Giver were both good reads

message 27: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Monette Both the matched and maze runner trilogies are amazing. The matched trilogy is my favorite dystopian series ever

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 1571 comments The Giver trilogy is really good!

message 29: by Brittany Leigh (new)

Brittany Leigh (tark_leigh) What got me in on the Dystopian genre was 2001: A Space Odyssey and Fahrenheit 451. But Legend is very similar to Divergent (which you said you enjoyed), so I would recommend that.

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah 1984 by George Orwell is a classic not a young adult book, but is amazing. An eye opener too. Highly recommend it, the book will make you paranoid.

message 31: by Maggie (new)

Maggie The Life as We Knew It trilogy is very good.

message 32: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 42 comments I haven't read through all the comments, so I apologize if it's already been suggested: Fahrenheit 451? It's one of my favorites, and unlike so many dystopic novels, it ends with hope.

message 33: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 82 comments Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) is interesting. They live in an underground silo and whenever someone needs to be punished they send him outside :-o

message 34: by Claire (new)

Claire (porpoiseful) | 7 comments Well, there are quite a few of these I don't know, but I do know "Matched" and "Uglies", and unfortunately, I didn't enjoy them very much. But if you liked the Delirium series, you'll probably like "Matched". It's based on a similar idea.

Have you read the "Gone" series? It's pretty good :)