Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > Looking for Books to Review

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joel (last edited Jul 30, 2013 05:49AM) (new)

Joel Bresler I'm looking for books to review. While my personal tastes tend to run to mystery/suspense, thriller and humorous fiction (Sounds like the SATs: "Which of these doesn't belong?"), I can appreciate good writing in most genres. Romance and novels where people get in touch with themselves and their emotions, however, will probably be like poetry to me: They may be brilliant, but I'd rather be doing something else. Also, I don't own any kind of ereader, so I'm afraid I'm limited to print copies for now.

message 2: by Elaine (new)

Elaine White Joel wrote: "I'm looking for books to review. While my personal tastes tend to run to mystery/suspense, thriller and humorous fiction (Sounds like the SATs: "Which of these doesn't belong?"), I can appreciate ..."

Hi Joel, I've just started reading this book - Poisoned Waters by Ermisenda Alvarez for the author's Blog Tour. Even if you don't have a blog, she appreciates all reviews. It might be worth giving her a PM through Goodreads, to get a free copy for review? It's a mystery/suspence, crime novel and I'm only a chapter in but I think it's really great.

Here's the info -
"Bloody mistakes, ugly scars, and beautiful lies. A tale of corruption.

Helen Gardener is murdered on a trans-Atlantic cruise. The Diamond Royale sails from Southampton to New York with her murderer aboard. Set in the 1950s, Poisoned Waters follows the stories of seven unfortunate characters and how they are affected by her death. Was it merely an accident? Mr Phillips, the owner of the ship, and sponsor of the cruise, rules with an iron fist, in search of something or someone.

Lies spiral out of control as the suspects try to survive the final days on board. Conflicted by their sense of morals, greed, and lust, they realise what kind of people they really are. Who will rise? Who will fall? Who was Helen's murderer?"

message 3: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 361 comments Mmm, you could look at SPEAK TO OUR DESIRES. It is actually a dark fantasy novel, but it has all the trappings of a private eye mystery. And after I finished writing it I discovered I had created the super-hero origin of Ronald Reagan...
Go here and look at the synopsis to see if you're interested.
http://bookviewcafe.com/bookstore/boo...

message 4: by C.M.J. (new)

C.M.J. Wallace | 193 comments Joel wrote: "I'm looking for books to review. While my personal tastes tend to run to mystery/suspense, thriller and humorous fiction (Sounds like the SATs: "Which of these doesn't belong?"), I can appreciate ..."

Hi, Joel,

If you'd be interested in reviewing my novel Sing the Midnight Stars, a murder mystery in epic fantasy clothing, let me know and I can give you a coupon for a free copy from Smashwords. You can read reviews there and download a sample chapter (see the link below).

C.M.J. Wallace
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

message 5: by Joel (new)

Joel Bresler Elaine wrote: "Joel wrote: "I'm looking for books to review. While my personal tastes tend to run to mystery/suspense, thriller and humorous fiction (Sounds like the SATs: "Which of these doesn't belong?"), I ca..."

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll check it out.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (technohippy) Faust 2.0 (Morton & Mitchell #1) by Michael Brookes

I'd like to offer my latest - Faust 2.0 for review.

message 7: by L.F. (last edited Jun 11, 2013 07:46AM) (new)

L.F. Falconer | 92 comments Hello Joel,

I can offer up EXIT STRATEGY, an adult, psychological/paranormal dark thriller. A terrifying journey across the North Atlantic inside a broken mind.
Exit Strategy by L.F. Falconer
Exit Strategy

L.F. Falconer

message 8: by Jenelle (new)

Jenelle If you like mystery and humor (and a dash of sci-fi) I'd recommend the Icarus Hunt by Timothy Zahn.

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Landmark (clandmark) | 242 comments Hi, Joel.

Not sure if you're into fantasy, but maybe my novel, Pool of Souls, might interest you. It's definitely not as complex or lengthy as Lord of the Rings or George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, but it's a good, entertaining read with quite a bit of humour in it. I can send you the epub, mobi or pdf version of it if you would like to give it a try. Thanks. :)

message 10: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Aronson | 2 comments Joel wrote: "I'm looking for books to review. While my personal tastes tend to run to mystery/suspense, thriller and humorous fiction (Sounds like the SATs: "Which of these doesn't belong?"), I can appreciate ..."
Hi Joel:

I got a kick out of your blog post regarding social networking. Gotta agree.

You might like the humor in Mickey J. Corrigan's books. Message me if you want review copies. Professional Grievers might be one you'd enjoy; it's about people who go to funerals for a living. Dark humor.

Professional Grievers by Mickey J. Corrigan

message 11: by Nyla (last edited Jun 11, 2013 11:32AM) (new)

Nyla Naseer (nylanaseer) Hi Joel, I'd be happy for you to review 'The Pavement Gardener'(contemporary realistic London based adventure) or 'Being Franklin Zebb' (humorous quirky). Have a bit of a browse...take your pick and get in touch!

Nyla
http://nylanaseer.comNyla Naseer

The Pavement Gardener

Being Franklin Zebb

message 12: by Loretta (last edited Jun 11, 2013 11:32AM) (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 134 comments Lol, you won't like mine - all poetry. Sorry! But this one's for you!

Reviewing your poetry? Why,
I really cannot tell a lie
Like the books of romance
It just isn't my dance
I would rather stick pins in my eye!

I do apologise. Like Oscar Wilde, I can resist anything except temptation.

message 13: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Hartwell | 40 comments Hi Joel, you might want to check out my book, Harem Slave. It's only been on Amazon for 5 weeks but is already the #1 best-seller in its category. Recounts the harrowing life of a girl next door who, to her consternation, is abducted and sold into the harem of an 81-year-old sheikh. No, they do not fall in love. No, it's not wall-to-wall passion. Amazon classified the book as Drama. It is based on true stories of victims of human trafficking. June 14 and 15 it will be available for download FREE. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...

message 14: by Joel (new)

Joel Bresler Loretta wrote: "Lol, you won't like mine - all poetry. Sorry! But this one's for you!

It just isn't my dance
I would rather stick p..."

Interestingly, I have been thinking of doing something of a tribute to Ogden Nash some day. But, as I say in my book, "Letters to be Read in a Heavily British Accent", my writing would have to get better before it begets verse.

message 15: by Joel (new)

Joel Bresler Virginia wrote: "Joel wrote: "I'm looking for books to review. While my personal tastes tend to run to mystery/suspense, thriller and humorous fiction (Sounds like the SATs: "Which of these doesn't belong?"), I ca..."

Friend of yours?

message 16: by Loretta (last edited Jun 11, 2013 12:00PM) (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 134 comments Joel wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Lol, you won't like mine - all poetry. Sorry! But this one's for you!

It just isn't my dance
I woul..."

Haha, good one! Nice to meet you.

message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeldiack) | 56 comments I can offer you my book Joel: walking, talking crisp packets with a sense of humour and adventures.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

Please see the reviews if you think this is something you'd fancy. Just send me a message :)

message 18: by Joel (new)

Joel Bresler Michael wrote: "I can offer you my book Joel: walking, talking crisp packets with a sense of humour and adventures.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

Please see the reviews if yo..."

Crisp packets walking and talking? I mean, one or the other, sure - but both? Now, that would be something.
As mentioned, I don't have an ereader of any sort. So, if you have both a sense of adventure and the readies* to mail a print copy to the colonies, let me know and I'll send you an address.

*note the subtle use of British slang.

message 19: by Mandana (new)

Mandana (mandanatowhidy) | 9 comments whoa...looks like you have a trainload of books here. but i'll suggest one that i love and i don't see enough about plus i'll also mention my own...which is funny if you're in that headspace...

have you read morvern callar? awesome awesome book...
Morvern Callar by Alan Warner
Morvern Callar

my book is below...it has good reviews and one very good/big write up on vice.com...

Arcadia by Mandana Towhidy
Arcadia

the ebooks are almost ready. but i have a pdf if you want to review it now. i might have a paperback soon. waiting for a new box.

happy reading! \m/

message 20: by Joel (new)

Joel Bresler Thanks for the info. I'm being difficult regarding print copies only, since spending that much time staring at a computer screen could lead to more side-effects than the average pharmaceutical.

message 21: by Gail (new)

Gail Gurley | 2 comments Joel, I have a historical fiction book entitled FEARLESS HEART. It is the story of a young family trapped in the slums of New York City during The Great Depression of 1929. It has gentle, believable characters and is suitable for all ages. A young family struggles to survive during America’s Great Depression while a mysterious benefactor relentlessly searches for them. They move from the slums of New York to a mansion in upstate New York on a journey that will forever change their lives and their destinies. I would be honored to send you a copy for your review. Thank you for your consideration. Gail Cauble Gurley

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Joel wrote: "I'm looking for books to review. While my personal tastes tend to run to mystery/suspense, thriller and humorous fiction (Sounds like the SATs: "Which of these doesn't belong?"), I can appreciate ..."

Hi Joel,

I`m happy to announce my thriller novel, Killer Rumors. The reason why I decided to write this book was to inform the public that priests will always be under the microscope. There have been numerous cases where priests have been falsely accused. Killer Rumors has a touch of James Patterson and Dan Brown. I have always enjoyed reading thriller and mystery novels. I also have a Bachelor`s Degree in Theology and Religion, so I decided to mix my passions into one.

I will be more than happy sending you a copy in PDF format. Hope to hear from you soon.

Antonello Fiore
Author of, Killer Rumors Killer Rumors (Frank Rinelli, #1) by Antonello Fiore

message 23: by Maryann (new)

Maryann (maryannwrites) | 50 comments Joel wrote: "I'm looking for books to review. While my personal tastes tend to run to mystery/suspense, thriller and humorous fiction (Sounds like the SATs: "Which of these doesn't belong?"), I can appreciate ..."

There are lots of good books already mentioned, but I wanted to suggest two of mine. Open Season is a police procedural mystery set in Dallas. Think "Lethal Weapon" with female leads. My latest, Boxes for Beds, is an historical mystery set in AK when the mob ruled Hot Springs. I would be happy to gift you with one or both for a possible review. Just let me know if you are interested. In the meantime, I will check out some of the books folks have posted here. I, too, love a good mystery.

message 24: by Lee (new)

Lee Cushing | 77 comments The Trust Casefiles by Lee Cushing

If interested in doing a review for my last book, it can be downloaded for free at http://www.autharium.com/Ebook/Lee%20... until Sunday using the code: Hunters

Available Formats: eBooks - mobi, epub, pdf
Devices: iPad, Sony Readers(all), Kindle Editions, Be Book, Nook, PC, Laptop, Mac, iPhone, Android phones and table PCs

message 25: by Joel (new)

Joel Bresler Thanks, Lee. Unfortunately, I do not own an ereader of any kind, and look at reading an entire novel at my computer as something just slightly less appealing than plummeting out of an airborn 737. I'm limiting this to print copies only, at least for now.

message 26: by Lee (new)

Lee Cushing | 77 comments Joel wrote: "Thanks, Lee. Unfortunately, I do not own an ereader of any kind, and look at reading an entire novel at my computer as something just slightly less appealing than plummeting out of an airborn 737...."

Neither do I to be honest. There will be a printed edition within a few months. But there are my previous three books that are available printed.

message 27: by K.S. (new)

K.S. Daniels (ksdaniels) | 22 comments Hey Joel!

If you're interested in Science Fiction, I'm sending out copies for review of my novel, The Valkyrie Profiles, for the duration of the summer to ramp up for the second book in the series that'll be released in the fall. Here's the link if you'd like to check it out and if it sounds like your kind of book, just message me and I'll send it your way =)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17...

message 28: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Boutros | 115 comments Hello Joel, My novel, The Guilty, is a crime/courtroom thriller, which may be something you'd enjoy reading, as well as reviewing. If you'd like I can send you an electronic copy. (PDF or epub). I look forward to hearing from you, Gabriel

message 29: by Joel (new)

Joel Bresler Gabriel wrote: "Hello Joel, My novel, The Guilty, is a crime/courtroom thriller, which may be something you'd enjoy reading, as well as reviewing. If you'd like I can send you an electronic copy. (PDF or epub). I ..."

Hi, Gabriel. Sounds like something I would enjoy reading. Unfortunately, I do not own an ereader of any kind, and would not relish your work nearly as much if I was tied to my computer in order to read it. If you have a print copy, however, let me know.

message 30: by Paul (new)

Paul Bartusiak (infernoz13) | 21 comments Loretta wrote: "Lol, you won't like mine - all poetry. Sorry! But this one's for you! ...

Loretta, Great response. I was waiting for someone from the Poetry crowd to weight in.
-Paul

message 31: by Joel (last edited Jun 22, 2013 11:47AM) (new)

Joel Bresler Paul wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Lol, you won't like mine - all poetry. Sorry! But this one's for you! ...

Loretta, Great response. I was waiting for someone from the Poetry crowd to weight in.
-Paul"

They were just waiting for the meter to run out.

message 32: by Joel (new)

Joel Bresler Joel wrote: "I'm looking for books to review. While my personal tastes tend to run to mystery/suspense, thriller and humorous fiction (Sounds like the SATs: "Which of these doesn't belong?"), I can appreciate ..."

I'm putting the call out again for books to review. As before, they must be print copies. Virtually any genre, except as noted in the original post. What have you got?

message 33: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Gelsheimer (gelsheimerkeats) | 79 comments If you need a review or are looking for books to review, check out the Book Review Depot! www.facebook.com/bookreviewdepot! Where authors meet to trade reviews for reviews with accountability!

message 34: by Joel (new)

Joel Bresler Ginger wrote: "If you need a review or are looking for books to review, check out the Book Review Depot! www.facebook.com/bookreviewdepot! Where authors meet to trade reviews for reviews with accountability!"

Thanks! I'll check that out!

message 35: by Hero (last edited Jul 21, 2013 12:12PM) (new)

Hero Jenkins (HeroJenkins) | 8 comments My book is Historical fiction named "A Storm in Memphis".

It focuses on Will Compton, a burned out, time traveling cop whose job has put his sanity on life support and he’s not sure he cared anymore. He desperately needs time to sort things out instead he gets dispatched to the most difficult case of his career. He is sent back to April 3rd 1968, the day before the assassination of Martin Luther King. Now Will has set aside his personal problems long enough to stop a group of illegal time travelers before they can destroy the timeline?

The book is due to be released next month. If interested message me with an eMail address. I have ePub and Kindle available.

message 36: by Aya (new)

Aya Walksfar (goodreadscomaya_walksfar) | 23 comments Joel,
Dead Men and Cats is a murder mystery novella. Would love to have you review it.
The day that Megan Albright and Janie Sampson discovered a dead man and a live calico kitten in an old rowboat they never dreamed that the murderer was a young man they considered a friend.
My email is ayawalksfar@gmail.com If you send your email, I will send you a reviewer's copy of Dead Men and Cats. Send the email address, remind me you do reviews on your blog and when you think you might be able to post a review of my novella. (I love going and reading folks thoughts. It is helpful to my work.) Would love to have you post it on Goodreads as well as your blog. Thanks for considering my work.
Aya Walksfar
http://www.ayawalksfar.com (blog)
http://www.facebook.com/ayawalksfar

message 37: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2160 comments Hey Joel,
My second book is a Western Horror entitled, A Bloody Bloody Mess In The Wild Wild West. Does that sound like something youd be interested in reading and reviewing?

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I have two books in a trilogy completed. Would love to get your reviews. Let me know if you are interested and I will provide a free ebook of both. Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Fade-Black-preq...

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Night-seq...

message 39: by Russell (new)

Russell Brooks (russellbrooks) | 47 comments Joel wrote: "I'm looking for books to review. While my personal tastes tend to run to mystery/suspense, thriller and humorous fiction (Sounds like the SATs: "Which of these doesn't belong?"), I can appreciate ..."

Hello, Joel,

I have three thrillers. I'm always looking for reviews on all the major sites, especially on the Facebook pages. If you're interested, please IM me.
Pandora's Succession by Russell Brooks Unsavory Delicacies by Russell Brooks Chill Run  by Russell Brooks

message 40: by Joel (new)

Joel Bresler M.C. wrote: "I have two books in a trilogy completed. Would love to get your reviews. Let me know if you are interested and I will provide a free ebook of both. Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Fade-Black-prequel..."

Sounds awesome. Unfortunately, I don't own any kind of ereader, and don't relish the prospect of staring at my computer to read novels. If you have a print review copy available, let me know.

message 41: by Wendi (new)

Wendi Bear (httpwwwelectrikkiss) | 2 comments Joel,
More than happy to mail you a print version if you are interested. Email me at AlsoIHateDonuts@gmail.com with a shipping address.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18...

message 42: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Maher (kathleenmaher) | 4 comments Joel wrote: "I'm looking for books to review. While my personal tastes tend to run to mystery/suspense, thriller and humorous fiction (Sounds like the SATs: "Which of these doesn't belong?"), I can appreciate ..."

Joel, If you have a Kindle, my book is having a free promotion today (monday, July 29). Available on Amazon here: http://amzn.to/14ZqmFb .
It's not genre, but it's got humor. One reviewer titled their review, "Food, sex, money & religion," which is pretty apt. Thanks for the offer! KathleenDiary of a Heretic

message 43: by Joel (new)

Joel Bresler Kathleen wrote: "Joel wrote: "I'm looking for books to review. While my personal tastes tend to run to mystery/suspense, thriller and humorous fiction (Sounds like the SATs: "Which of these doesn't belong?"), I ca..."

Sounds like college, except the religion part. Unfortunately, I don't own a Kindle or any other type of ereader, so I'm limited to print copies only, I'm afraid.