The Novella Club discussion

Just for fun > Peirene Novellas

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) | 85 comments I thought i would mention this series as I think it will appeal to novella lovers. As yet I have only read Next World Novella in this series but there are a good number of very interesting sounding novellas that are being published in this series and I have already picked up a few as well as having several samples of others downloaded onto my e-reader.

They are high quality European contemporary novellas by authors that are perhaps not that well known. I really enjoyed the one I have read in this series and perhaps others might too.

One of the books in this series The Murder of Halland is currently longlisted for the Independent Foreign Fiction Prize.

The books are all lovely jacketed paperbacks. I would be interested if anyone else has tried some of the books in this series and if so if there are any that they would particularly recommend.

message 2: by Mmars (new)

Mmars | 588 comments I was unfamiliar with these so here's a link. Hope it works. http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/p...

message 3: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
Looks interesting. Thanks for posting this.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Next World Novella received outstanding reviews on Amazon.com. This is a great new find. Thanks Ben and Mmars for the series information and the link.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for sharing this. I just ordered the two recent 2013 titles.

message 6: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) | 85 comments hope you enjoy them - I was looking at the 4 books in the series that we have at home and they looked so pretty and all the ones I don't have sound so interesting that I may end up with a full collection before too long.

message 7: by John (new)

John Riley | 4 comments I'm a big fan of Peirene Press. I read both Next World Novella and Portrait of a Mother as a Young Woman in one sitting. The short stories Maybe Next Time by Alois Hotschnig are excellent as well. I have three more of their novellas to read. I ration them so I won't gobble them up at one time.

message 8: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) | 85 comments I just read Stone in a Landslide which I thought was superb. My wife loved Portrait of a Mother as a Young Woman - I am a bit hesitant about it as i sometimes struggle with books without chapters (and it is all one sentence) but I might give it a try anyway.

Still to get Maybe Next Time but probably will soon