Books of Blood: Volumes One to Three (Books of Blood, #1-3) Books of Blood discussion

Which short stories would you recommend?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cory (new)

Cory Hey there
Which short stories from this book would you recommend? I don't think I'd be reading all three volumes so I'd appreciate your recommendation. Thank you!

Bane Kyamko i'd recommend The Yattering and Jack, Pig Blood Blues and Dread. I haven't read volume 3 yet.

Harvey Click "Midnight Meat Train" is a good one.

message 4: by Francis (new)

Francis Graham Pennywinkle: The 'Short' Road to Success. Quite comical. It's available on Amazon I think.

message 5: by Emma (last edited May 14, 2014 08:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma In the Hills, the Cities has some of the most striking images Barker has ever written. If nothing else, you should definitely read that one. Maybe afterward, you'll want to read the rest after all :)

Feliks ^^^ i agree

Courtney Skelton Midnight Meat Train and the yattering and the Jack.

message 8: by Rob (new)

Rob Santana Maggie wrote: "In the Hills, the Cities has some of the most striking images Barker has ever written. If nothing else, you should definitely read that one. Maybe afterward, you'll want to read the rest after all :)"
You are so right, Maggie. The images are so powerful they deserve a big-screen treatment.
I've read it 15 times already. I'm glad someone out there appreciates it. An amazing story.

message 9: by Rob (new)

Rob Santana Maggie wrote: "In the Hills, the Cities has some of the most striking images Barker has ever written. If nothing else, you should definitely read that one. Maybe afterward, you'll want to read the rest after all :)"
You are so right, Maggie. The images are so powerful they deserve a big-screen treatment.
I've read it 15 times already. I'm glad someone out there appreciates it. An amazing story.

Mosquitha I loved Jaqueline Esse, because of the melancholic tone of the story, and The Yattering and Jack, because it is so grotesque and charged with black humour! The skins of the fathers is also very creative.

Carlos Maggie wrote: "In the Hills, the Cities has some of the most striking images Barker has ever written. If nothing else, you should definitely read that one. Maybe afterward, you'll want to read the rest after all :)"

+1 for "In The Hills, the Cities".... amazing. still have images of the "cities" flash though my mind sometimes when a weird structure catches my eyes...

message 12: by Carlos (last edited Feb 26, 2017 04:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carlos The amazing aspect of this series, to me, was the absolute variety in styles, settings, voices, viewpoints, etc of the stories. Unparalleled as far as I can tell. Jaqueline Esse vs In the Hills vs Yattering and Jack vs Skins of the Fathers vs (name any).... a staggering parade of variety.

You can put any Stephen King story by any other and most people would say "same author" (and often, "same socio-economic background" of characters (I love King, but still...). Clive Barker's collection is a "whole nuther thing".

This is the series that made me want to be an author.

Terry Chess "Rawhead Rex". Barker's description of this creature, and the things he does to his unfortunate victims makes this one of my favorite Barker short stories.
Even the title gives me goosebumps.

Terry