Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Is a motion comic a book?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tzippy (new)

Tzippy (trempnvt) | 2 comments A motion comic is kind of a combination of an audiobook and an e-comic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_c...

For example, Spider-Woman: Origin was released in motion comic format. Would it be correct of me to add a new edition to represent this?

message 2: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) A comic is a book, we also add audiobooks so I would think it is ok. Does it have ASIN/ISBN?

message 3: by Tzippy (new)

Tzippy (trempnvt) | 2 comments I don't think so. Maybe it has some other type of identifier...

The thing is, it's like a comic and like an audiobook, but it's also kind of like a cartoon. Hard to say which side of the fence it falls on.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Jun 11, 2013 06:05AM) (new)

rivka | 43570 comments Mod
We generally frown on adding individual comics, but it sounds like you're talking about the equivalent of a trade length issue, yes?

However, having just watched snippets of a few of these, they seem more like movies (which are not books by GR standards) than like audiobooks.

Whatever the group consensus ends up being, these are definitely going to be on the edge, one way or the other.

message 5: by lafon حمزة (last edited Jun 11, 2013 06:13AM) (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments I'm really on the fence about this. That page you linked to compares them to visual novels (and however shallow a comparison it may be), visual novels are definitely not books in my opinion. I think if they're published and sold without ISBNs that would automatically discount them, but otherwise....

ETA: After having watched one such, while highly entertaining, isn't really a book. I'm gonna say that my opinion is no.

message 6: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments I have also reviewed, I agree with lafon, I would say no also

message 7: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments It seems to me that the motion comic is more like a film adaptation of a novel than an audiobook recording.

I'm going to have to go with no.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 93 comments Vicky wrote: "It seems to me that the motion comic is more like a film adaptation of a novel than an audiobook recording.

I'm going to have to go with no."

Exactly. I'd go with no as well for this reason (although I do think comics should be included on GR)

message 9: by Empress (last edited Jun 14, 2013 07:31AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Maybe that should be updated in the librarian FAQ? This was the first time I've heard about this media type, so it will be good to have it there ("black on white")