The Sword and Laser discussion

Sarcasm marks

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1840 comments Have you ever read something sarcastic on the internet and taken and responded to it literally? Yes, of course you have. Everyone has. The need for sarcasm marks has long been known. There is even a Wikipedia article written about it, so it must be true. :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_pu...

Well, I'm tired of wishing for one, none of the suggestions on that wiki seem quite right, and, because it was the first random mark I came across, I have decided that ^ shall be the sarcasm mark. I mean, what the hell else do we use it for other than smileys anyway? ^_^ (that is a very sarcastic line)

I see them used like quotations, like this:

^Yes, I would love to be punched in the face.^

Sarcasm marks; problem solved. Glad you all agree with me.

message 2: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 27 comments Sorry Ruth, there is no sarcasm on the internet.

Nonetheless, the following link is required reading:
http://www.collegehumor.com/article/6...

message 3: by Ty (new)

Ty Wilson (ShatterStar66) | 165 comments Jon wrote: "Sorry Ruth, there is no sarcasm on the internet.

Nonetheless, the following link is required reading:
http://www.collegehumor.com/article/6..."

That's awesome. I really want them added to my keyboard, just so I can use the Morgan Freemark.

message 4: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I accept your sarcasm marks, Ruth. +1.

message 5: by Thane (new)

Thane | 476 comments ^Great idea, Ruth.^

^I'm sure EVERYONE will use them.^

Hm. Not sure I'm using them correctly...

message 6: by Darren (new)

Darren People would just use the marks ironically, Ruth. Remember when "lol" actually meant you were laughing, instead of an extra dig to mock someone?

message 7: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 27 comments ^lol^

message 8: by Björn (new)

Björn | 6 comments Darren wrote: "Remember when "lol" actually meant you were laughing, instead of an extra dig to mock someone?"

Remember when people were saying "lol" instead of really laughing out loud when hearing a joke? Oh, wait, sadly that's the present. Damn...

Nonetheless, I'm in favour of those marks too

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

well, most people mark their sarcasm by a /sarcasm which i think speaks for itself. so before taking something seriously take a step away from the keyboard and ask yourself if it's worth getting upset over.

message 10: by Richard (new)

Richard WWSD -- What Would Sheldon Do?

message 11: by Neil (new)

Neil | 165 comments A sarcasm detector? ^That's a really useful invention.^

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Richard wrote: "WWSD -- What Would Sheldon Do?"

he'd depend on Leonard holding up his sarcasm sign

message 13: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2432 comments Sounds like another attempt to try and understand British humor to me.

message 14: by Darren (new)

Darren Björn wrote: "Remember when people were saying "lol" instead of really laughing out loud when hearing a joke? Oh, wait, sadly that's the present. Damn..."

Luddite. ^;)^

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1840 comments Thane wrote: "^Great idea, Ruth.^

^I'm sure EVERYONE will use them.^

Hm. Not sure I'm using them correctly..."

Haha, using sarcasm marks to be sarcastic about the idea of sarcasm marks! I love it!

You guys are funny. :D