The Dusty Bookshelf discussion

For Fun > Comics

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hayley (last edited Jun 10, 2013 11:30PM) (new)

Hayley Stewart (haybop) | 491 comments Mod
Recently I've found a new comic shop opened up near me with a very helpful guy to let me know what's what (and keep my Deadpool behind the counter for when I can come in ;D) as well as help sell the local independent comics.

With this love for something new I've also noticed the amount of children who buy and have to hide their purchases from their parents (mattresses seem to be great, as well as textbooks for when they get home) as their parents would rather they read actual books. With more conversation it would appear that, whilst they're fine reading certain books, they still find Marvel, DC etc to be far more interesting for a quick read.

So, tell me about your comics. Maybe just your thoughts on comics? Are you for them or not a fan? Which are your favourites?

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 63 comments Originally I was not a fan of comics for kids, but I came around to the reading is reading viewpoint. My son loves the Bone series, and now at 14, he still rereads them. He's not likely to do that with a chapter book.
Personally I love comics for the reliable laughs. Both my son and I read Garfield. I am addicted to Calvin and Hobbes and Baby Blues. Neither of us reads any of the Marvel comics.
Question: what's the difference between graphic novels and comics?

C.  (friends, please call me by name) (riedel) Except for collectors, comics are often a kid's stepping stone to books. I too believe comics, or the right material gets us going for life. How many of you know author Eric Wilson? He was a Canadian school teacher who observed the interest problem.

He said kids need modern books like the "Hardy Boys", to runaway from the first page. His series, featuring all the provinces of my country, continues from 1978 to today. :) So far "The Ghost Of Lunenburg Manor" is my favourite. Carolyn.

message 4: by Hayley (new)

Barbara - I'm still new to the whole comics & graphic novels things but I have found that comics look like just that - comics: paper, relatively thin, regularly released in episodic form. Graphic novels seem to be thick and some in semi-hardback form and cost a hell of a lot more ;P

I love reading books... books are amazing. Comics, however, have that certain something to them. they're quick, easy to read (unless you have unknowingly picked up manga and are reading it backwards by accident ;D) and the artwork in some of these is something to look at in itself(seriously, I've picked up 1 or 2 independents lately that have been masterpieces :O) The Mice by Roger Mason is one of those.

I do also like the get away, escapism of a comic full of superheroes in their weird costumes with the epic backdrops. Yes, I could imagine it, but I'm not reading a comic for that reason ;)

message 5: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments I read a lot of comics when I was a kid, like Casper, Woody Woodpecker, Richie Rich, etc., but I haven't read comics since then. I do, however, like a lot of the action movies based on them.

message 6: by Hayley (new)

I was a definite Beano and The Dandy kid when I was little.

The more 'advanced' (I'm not sure what to call them to set them apart...) ones that belong to DC and Marvel were not in my kiddy-scope, which is a shame cos I would've loved them!

message 7: by Ampa (new)

Ampa (maniacmidget) | 8 comments My boyfriend is the avid comic book collector. We go to the comic book shop weekly to pick up at least 3 comics at a time. He's subscribed to mostly DC comics but got Spider-man for me :)

I've found that comics can be very well written and their stories and plot twists rival some popular novels. It's true that comics are a quick read so to pull your reader in with so few pages, words, and pictures is quite a feat.

I respect comic book writers and artists for what they do and find comics to be a nice supplement to my regular reading.

message 8: by Ampa (new)

Ampa (maniacmidget) | 8 comments Hayley wrote: "I was a definite Beano and The Dandy kid when I was little.

The more 'advanced' (I'm not sure what to call them to set them apart...) ones that belong to DC and Marvel were not in my kiddy-scope,..."

I would separate them by maybe saying comic books (Marvel, DC, Darkhorse, etc) vs. comic strips (Garfield, Family Circus, etc). But I'm sure as soon as you mentioned the name of the comic anyone would understand what you meant.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (gxeninjo) | 53 comments I love comics, both newspaper comics, graphic novels, and manga.

To answer the question about the difference between comics and graphic novels-there isn't any. Graphic novels are a subset of comics. The word comic refers to the format of mixing pictures and words deliberately to create meaning and an aesthetic experience. Graphic novels are usually seen to be either a complete story in one book, such as Watchmen, though some people include trades. Trades are a collection of issues of a comic series into a book, or many volumes of books. This is more along the lines of a book series, like Harry Potter. Good examples of Trades are Sandman, Fables, and many DC and Marvel series become trades. Trades are also often labeled as graphic novels. Issues of comics are those little thin booklets that contain a chapter of a series. Newspaper comics are also often collected into books, and it seems like no one quite knows how to label these, as even when they are collected into book form they don't often have an overarching plot.

Sorry to be so verbose, I'm a bit of a comics scholar.

message 10: by Hayley (new)

Thank you for that Jennifer, glad to have a comic afficionado help out :)

I'm still waiting on my Deadpool :( It's been forever (well, about 2 weeks, but still!)