Shut Up & Read discussion

The Color Purple
This topic is about The Color Purple
Archives > The Color Purple by Alice Walker

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca (becca16) | 157 comments We will hopefully be starting this book Monday 6/17.

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 33 comments I have read this book a few times. LOVE it!

Carina | 262 comments Becca wrote: "We will hopefully be starting this book Monday 6/17."

Sounds good Becca. I am actually out of town until the afternoon/evening but should be able to read a few chapters of it.... then again if it is like some of the Pick-It-For-Me Challenge ones I have read the chosen book in about two hours!

Are we going to go with the format you suggested in the other thread regarding a set amount of chapters each day?

message 4: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca (becca16) | 157 comments I'm not sure, it's up to everyone, I'm a slow reader so no matter what we choose I'll do my best to keep up!

Carina | 262 comments Becca wrote: "I'm not sure, it's up to everyone, I'm a slow reader so no matter what we choose I'll do my best to keep up!"

I was having a think - shall we go for a couple of chapters a day so it is a bit fairer? Also might allow for better discussion?

message 6: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca (becca16) | 157 comments Looked at it and it doesn't really have chapters, it's all a series of letters to god but none of them are dated so it'll be a little harder to split it up unless we count the sections ourselves...I don't have a problem penciling in the numbers like chapters in my book for the read just so I can know where we are tho...

Carina | 262 comments Ahh... Hmm, we could go by pages but I will be reading on the Kindle....

Perhaps we could count the letters as chapters?

message 8: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca (becca16) | 157 comments Yea, that's what I was thinking...they're all short, a couple pages each...about how many pages did you want to do a day? We could do maybe 10 letters a day? That would be anywhere between 20 and 30 pages I think...or we could do 15 or 20? I'm not sure how quickly you want to go, but I think the way it's written will make it pretty quick as is haha

Carina | 262 comments How about we stick with 10 a day? We can always bump it up a bit if need be after a couple of days if need be.

message 10: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca (becca16) | 157 comments Ok!

message 11: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca (becca16) | 157 comments Did you want to start Monday or sooner?

Carina | 262 comments I haven't bought it yet and tbh Monday would suit me better as I am away from home until then - hope that doesn't cause you any issues?

message 13: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca (becca16) | 157 comments Not a problem! I just wanted to make sure you didn't want to start sooner since I was the one who said I had to try to get the book haha :) I have a few other books to finish in the meantime so no worries :)

Carina | 262 comments Coolio!

Carina | 262 comments So I've read 10 chapters (it might be 11.. I lost count a bit on the Kindle!).

I think the author has a good tone of voice, it puts the character across very easily. Also, unlike another book I have read in the same style (Finding Cassie Crazy) I think this is easier to read - perhaps because it is only one character writing as opposed to three.

I cannot say that I *want* to read more considering the subject matter, but I do want to continue it.

Becca - what are your thoughts so far?

message 16: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca (becca16) | 157 comments I have a really hard time reading something in bad grammar. I get that the author wants to make it more realistic but I hate bad grammar! Haha :) I like it so far tho...the first page it took me a little while to realize she was talking about her dad/stepdad raping her when her mom was sick and I had to read it a few times before it sunk in and I was horrified. I also felt super bad when she had to marry her sisters man, and I feel bad for her sister being left alone with the guy. Lastly I thought it was sad when she saw the little girl that was presumably her daughter. I don't have any kids myself but I'm pretty sure if I did and I thought I'd lost one years ago and suddenly saw them again I'd lose it. I'm pretty interested to find out where this book is going to go.

Carina | 262 comments I know what you mean about the bad grammar - I had a really hard time reading (I think it was this book anyway) Uncle Toms Cabin as the author tried to write how the characters would speak - like in The Colour Purple - but Uncle Toms Cabin was a *lot* worse almost.

I think the only reason I wasn't horrified at the opening of this book is because I knew the subject matter from the 'blurby' bit on here, and also because it is a work of fiction. My Mother rather likes (totally the wrong word but you know what I mean) the true story books you see so often about children who were abused/brought up in appalling situations etcetera and how it effects their lives. I read one once and the things the children went through were so horrific I almost 'don't mind' reading about that kind of thing in fiction now as I have never come across in fiction some of the things that happened in these non-fiction books.

Carina | 262 comments Finished todays 10 chapters. TBH I don't think they were as ... 'interesting' as the first ones. I'm thinking the book will pick up though and is still setting the scenes as it were.

message 19: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca (becca16) | 157 comments So I'm only at the beginning of today's reading and I'm already angry at Celie....I really wish she would stand up for herself instead of letting Nettie and Kate do it for her. I loved how Kate helped her by getting her a new dress and telling the boy to get the water, but when she mentioned Nettie leaving and her being dead I got confused....when did Nettie die?

message 20: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca (becca16) | 157 comments Wow hahahahaha I had to laugh for the last part when harpo and Sofia were fighting hahaha serves him right for trying to change an obviously good relationship :) why would he ever want to be more like his dad? His dad treats him like crap! Stupid boy

Carina | 262 comments I think she will learn to stand up for herself. Coming from the background she has there is no way she would be able to realise how badly she is being treated all of a sudden... I mean even when her father took her children from her I didn't really get a sense of outrage more a matter of fact, that is the way of the world statement.

I have a feeling a lot of this book is going to be about slow realisations as opposed to sudden ones - the different between Harpo and Sofia will have an effect I imagine.

message 22: by Carina (last edited Jun 20, 2013 09:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carina | 262 comments Finished todays 10 chapters.

I think we might be beginning to see a bit of a change with our leading lady here, at least in her perception of herself and her situation (basing this off her conversation with Sofia and also the fact that her 'icon' Shug is now staying).

TBH though I am not too sure what I think of this book, it isn't what I expected I can say that much.

message 23: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca (becca16) | 157 comments How do I read the spoilers removed part?

Carina | 262 comments Click on where it says "view spoiler" - I only put it like that as it kind of spoils these chapters!

message 25: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca (becca16) | 157 comments Ok haha I guess I'll have to wait til I'm at my computer for that...still haven't had a chance to read it today cuz I'm working a double but as soon as I get home I'll get to it :)

message 26: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca (becca16) | 157 comments Sorry, yesterday was crazy busy! I jut finished yesterday's reading and wow...I can't believe that she's ok with shug staying with them, but then again she doesn't love her husband so I guess it makes some sense. I really don't have that much to say about this section tho...hope that harpo gets his stuff together tho

message 27: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca (becca16) | 157 comments Can you remove the spoilers thing? I can't get to my pc and I can't see them on my phone :/

Carina | 262 comments Done my dear!

I haven't read todays yet but I hope some more 'stuff' happens in them, yesterdays just seemed a bit... dull almost.

message 29: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca (becca16) | 157 comments O! It also makes me really mad that she wants to give shug the blanket if it's perfect but keep it for herself otherwise and that she almost seems in love with shug...ugh stupid woman

Carina | 262 comments Yeah, but it shows a lot about how she sees herself and her self worth.

message 31: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca (becca16) | 157 comments Dont read this until you read todays because its full of spoilers!

Harpo is so stupid!!! It makes me sad that Sofia left :( loved how shug said the song about the man doing her wrong was fr Celie! I felt so bad that she was sitting there feeling sorry for herself again and then the song seemed perfect for her! Go shug! I laughed a little when shug told Celie about her body, it's like Celie is just a kid and I guess in a lot of ways she is. Wish she knew what she wanted so that she could stop being so upset for random things tho. Also love how squeak, who Celie compared to herself stood up for herself when it came to harpo and Sofia! And then of course Sofia knocks her teeth out haha that made me laugh. But then when she knocks the mayor down and ends up in jail I felt so bad for her but I guess she had it coming...like how she compared Celie to a prisoner tho.

Carina | 262 comments Glad you put the warning up!

Yeah, but I'm not a fan of Harpo, I keep kind of wanting him to redeem himself but don't think he can. It is such a shame about Sofia though, I really hoped that she would help Celie come out of her shell some more - turns out the reverse happened.

I agree with you comparing Celie to a child, she never had a 'normal' childhood and the chance to experience those kind of things in the right manner - so of course she knows little about it.

I think todays 10 chapters are a lot better than yesterdays.

Carina | 262 comments Just read todays 10. Nothing much to say though I did get a teeny tiny glimpse of tomorrows (only issue with the way Kindle works on Windows 8 computers is it is two pages on the one screen). I have a feeling it is going to get very interesting from tomorrow.

Carina | 262 comments Just finished todays 10 as well. I was right that things are starting to get interesting.

message 35: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca (becca16) | 157 comments Sorry I didn't get a chance to post yesterday, I was helping a friend move :) you're right, not too much going on but glad to see Sophia out of jail...liked her story about teaching her to drive and really surprised that shug is married! I wish I could say I'm surprised about the scene with shug and Celie but I definitely saw it coming...I'm kind of happy for Celie that she finally found someone to love her even if it was only for a night. I was also super glad to find out Nettie isn't dead! I bet she'll be reappearing soon! And I love shug! I'm so glad that she continues to stand up for Celie :)

Carina | 262 comments Becca wrote: "Sorry I didn't get a chance to post yesterday, I was helping a friend move :) you're right, not too much going on but glad to see Sophia out of jail...liked her story about teaching her to drive an..."

No worries :)

Yeah, I found the Shug and Celie bit to be very predictable, though Shug getting married was a surprise. I didn't particularly like or care about her character at first but have warmed to her over the last few bits - first stopping Mr from beating Celie and now getting her her sisters letters. She is acting like a good friend.

message 37: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca (becca16) | 157 comments So excited to finally hear about what has been going on with Nettie this whole time!!! Actually, reading about her in Africa has me looking into joining the peace corps when I finish school...it always been a distant thought in the back of my mind but now I'm really thinking about it :)

message 38: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca (becca16) | 157 comments I felt the same way about shug at first but she might be my favorite character now

Carina | 262 comments Becca wrote: "So excited to finally hear about what has been going on with Nettie this whole time!!! Actually, reading about her in Africa has me looking into joining the peace corps when I finish school...it al..."

Wow, that's really good that this book has made you think about it more!

Carina | 262 comments Todays 10 chapters down, some of them are quite long but not a lot really happens with Celie, but I think it is all adding up so pretty soon she is going to get a proper back bone (at least I hope!).

I'm glad the revelation re Celie's father happens - it doesn't take away from the nastyness but it lessens it in a way (if that makes any sense!).

Carina | 262 comments Todays 10 done as well. I'm glad we see some movement on Celies part, but for the latter chapters things slow down again. I am hoping this book ends well but I have a sinking suspicion it might be bittersweet...

Carina | 262 comments Todays 10 done too - think tomorrow will finish it off. Biblical overtones became really obvious in these, but won't say much more as I don't know where you are in reading this.

message 43: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca (becca16) | 157 comments Sorry I'm behind...a lot going on but today and tomorrow off so I'll catch up today :)

Carina | 262 comments Becca wrote: "Sorry I'm behind...a lot going on but today and tomorrow off so I'll catch up today :)"

Don't worry about it :) Hope you enjoy your mammoth session on it!

Carina | 262 comments Well, I was right and I finished the book today:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

I'll be interested to see what you think of it Becca once you have caught up as I kind of feel myself disappointed at it.

message 46: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca (becca16) | 157 comments I finally finished!!! :)

message 47: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca (becca16) | 157 comments I actually really liked it a lot more than I thought I would :) I was really happy that she started her own business and that she found out the house and store were hers. I was really proud when she finally stood up for herself when she decided to leave with shug and was sad when shug met the kid. I loved the letters from Nettie about Africa and had to skip to the last entry to make sure they weren't really dead when I read about the telegram. I was also really touched that mr ____ finally changed and became a better man and laughed when she taught him to sew and he made shirts to go with the pants

Carina | 262 comments I was glad that she was able to start her own business - I think that definitely helped her our a lot. I was glad that Mr changed but still think he was 'forgiven' way too easily.

message 49: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca (becca16) | 157 comments I think at that point she was old and maybe just tired and didn't want to hate him. She knew shug saw good in him and she could see he'd changed. I think she was just being the better person.

Carina | 262 comments Becca wrote: "I think at that point she was old and maybe just tired and didn't want to hate him. She knew shug saw good in him and she could see he'd changed. I think she was just being the better person."

That is very very true.... Celie is a better person than I could be - I'd have been more aloof and would have had a lot more trouble in just being near him.

I did like how Shug was such a catalyst of change for so many in the book, considering how when she was introduced she was really unlikeable.

« previous 1