Authors & Reviewers discussion

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews, Head MOD!! (new)

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) | 589 comments Mod
Authors, how do you feel when you get a bad review. Do you take it in stride, or do you get upset? You ask for a honest review, and honest is what you get right?

message 2: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Stewart (authorjmstewart) This one depends. For me a really bad review are the unkind ones. I can handle criticism. I mean, we're all different, we all have different tastes. I particular enjoy and am grateful for the ones where the reviewer takes the time to tell me what they didn't like about the book. I can't grow if nobody tells me what I'm doing wrong, you know?

But I've seen reviews that were out and out mean and disrespectful to the author. Where the reviewer calls the author names, and whatnot. Some people are just nasty. These just hurt and they're harder to let go of, but everybody's entitled to their opinion, so I try to let them roll off.

message 3: by Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews, Head MOD!! (last edited Jun 10, 2013 07:30PM) (new)

I agree, it is all about your oppinion on the book. I hate reading reviews where the reader is bashing the author. If you don't like the book, state that. Don't bash the author, it is mean and disrespectful.

message 4: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Oldham (marisaoldham) | 554 comments Mod
I agree with both of you. I know how much hard work and time goes into creating a novel, even a short story, and some people are just plain rude.

If I don't like a book that I read for review exchange, I won't post it. I will tell the author what I liked and didn't like. The sandwich method always works best. It's what we use in art school when we critique. A compliment, there's always SOMETHING, your critique, then another closing compliment. :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I can honestly say that I appreciate negative reviews that are constructive, come from someone who read the book, and tell me how the book could have been better. I have been on the receiving end of reviews that were not about the book but me and it's really disappointing and upsetting to see that. I am not afraid to write a bad review if I think that the book deserved it and I am not afraid to get a bad review.

message 6: by Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews, Head MOD!! (new)

I read a review about your book that someone wrote, and it kind of made me mad, and I commented on it.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Just saw that. I think that all authors appreciate when someone stands up for them. If we were to say anything then we'd get even more, similar reviews.