Science and Inquiry discussion

Additional Book Discussions > New York Times Science Bestsellers

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Betsy | 1607 comments Mod
Bestsellers for March 2013:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/11/sci...

message 2: by Kenny (new)

Kenny Chaffin (kennychaffin) Woo-Hoo! Thanks for that Betsy!

message 3: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 334 comments Thanks, Betsy.

message 4: by Ksz (new)

Ksz | 5 comments Both the books at the top are just PERFECT. I mean, have you ever had that moment when you're reading a book and you start to think "this makes so much sense that I will talk about it incessantly from now on"? I had such reactions roughly every 20 pages or so. Thankfully, I managed to refrain myself from going through with the "incessantly" part, but I did mention them to almost all the people I know.

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking - An absolute must read for any self-respecting introvert, so probably 80-90% of this website? Even if you are an avid book reader with an E in your Myers-Briggs (a person I'd greatly love to meet), you might still learn quite a lot

Thinking, Fast and Slow - My topic #1 is probably how we make decisions and after this one I'll never look at the process the same way again. There are just so many shortcuts that our brains take... Here such shortcuts are described as being the involuntary responses of the most basic of our two "systems", coming into play when the more advanced one gets overloaded. And he has years and years of research to back it all up.

Numbers 9 and 10 are pretty great as well, but that's a topic for another post :)

message 5: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Betsy | 1607 comments Mod
Here is an updated list for March 2015:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/14/sci...

Interesting how many are repeats from last year. Also, there are several that I'm not sure I'd consider science, like Future Crimes: Everything Is Connected, Everyone Is Vulnerable, and What We Can Do About It or Beneath the Surface: Killer Whales, SeaWorld, and the Truth Beyond Blackfish, but they all look interesting.