A Song of Ice & Fire Fans discussion

The Winds of Winter (A Song of Ice and Fire, #6)
This topic is about The Winds of Winter
Just curious, who is excited for The Winds of Winter?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan (pacing_the_direwolf) | 3 comments so i finished all of the books so far and i just can NOT wait for The Winds of Winter. I wonder who will prevail.......and who will fail.

message 2: by Kaeri (new) - added it

Kaeri | 20 comments Excited as well... but I think it'll be a while before it gets published (knowing GRRM).

Excited to see more of The Others/white walkers.

message 3: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 113 comments I'm excited for it, but bracing myself for a long wait.

message 4: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 156 comments I think excited is not the right word.

As mentioned, when the publication date will be announced, then excitement can ensue but, until then, a more accurate description of my state is...

(one sec, browsing through a thesaurus)

Ants in pants.

@Marina,
What series did you discover?

message 5: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 156 comments I heard good things about that series. Looking forward to it.

If I remember correctly, GRRM recommended that author on his (not a) blog.

message 6: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Why of course, we are ALL very excited about book VI!!:) The only question is.. when will we have it??

Michael Lavin | 197 comments Marina........ Heard great things but i Picked up a book by him Called Hereos. Read that and then looked into the Author. Before i was on goodreads or had a computer.... and realized that i read the Last Book Of a series without reading the series. I believe its all the same characters in Hereos. So is it worth still reading. EXTREMELY EXCITED FOR NEW BOOK but because of the wait of DWD I wont start thinking about it until its release date

message 8: by Paige (new) - added it

Paige Hollinger  (babygirls1980) | 7 comments January 2015 is when the book is supposed to be for sale. It needs to be tomorrow. Lord only knows when book 7 will be published.

message 9: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Paige wrote: "January 2015 is when the book is supposed to be for sale. It needs to be tomorrow. Lord only knows when book 7 will be published."

Thank you, Paige.

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen | 48 comments @Paige, amazing! Where'd you hear that?!

message 11: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments Yes Paige, Link Please!?

message 12: by Abe (new) - added it

Abe Reese | 9 comments Can't wait for the new book...too bad it's coming out in another 2 years!!!

Michael Lavin | 197 comments Im sorry to "Rain" on everyones parade but we are talking way too far in the future with the date of January 2015. He posted and released the same type release dates for DWD. its kinda the same way he writes his novels...... he strings you along and keeps dangling bits of info only to throw a loop in there. So basically what i'm saying is i'm not gonna get to excited for WOW until there are books made and ready to order. DWD took years after his many diff. push back dates. Maybe the HBO show will help Martins writing along so the books stay a Decent distance from where the show is. I enjoy how the show is a few books behind the Actual book. I don't think i would want the two meeting over the show foreshadowing the book. I don't think GRRM would let that happen. Be wary off release dates and excitement, I and i'm sure many off you have learned that the hard way. DWD is all i have to say.

message 14: by Nermin (new) - added it

Nermin  (narminstaley) | 280 comments I went and Googled it, there's no confirmed publication date for the Winds of Winter. the only thing Martin ever said about the sixth books was that it could be ready in three years if he could manage to write 500 hundred pages of manuscript each year. And he wasn't very firm about that date.

message 15: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments Yah, thats all I saw when I googled it too.

I'll cross my fingers for within 5 years. If he hits that mark I'll be happy. Really don't care if that won't work for the show.

I loved him on Conan the other day when he was like...they would have known if they read the books. I could have kissed him.

message 16: by Nermin (new) - added it

Nermin  (narminstaley) | 280 comments Ah, I loved that moment too, Amber! :))) He is such a mean, cute bastard:D

message 17: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments I know. You can tell he's an uber-nerd and loves his book community.

I just have to say, I sorta loved his vest he was wearing on the show too...that thing was epically awesome.

Except it did kinda remind of something Ramsay Bolton would wear.

(Still pissed they haven't shown him in a pink doublet on the show! LOL)

message 18: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 156 comments Did you see GRRM's spoilers vid?

message 19: by Paige (new) - added it

Paige Hollinger  (babygirls1980) | 7 comments Ok. If you look on the Good Reads web site it will tell you when the book will be published. Don't check it on the mobile app. I swear it says Jan. 2015. If that information is wrong, then the fault lies with the creators of the site.

message 20: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments uh no...link please?

pretty pretty please?

message 21: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments @Paige, thanks for the info.

They must have changed it because now it says Expected Release Date: 2015

No confirmation.

:(

Something similar happened to Rothfuss and he had to change his too, sometimes Goodreads Librarians get a little to enthusiastic LOL.

message 22: by Nermin (new) - added it

Nermin  (narminstaley) | 280 comments Every Librarian can actually change the publication date, I'm thinking of going and changing it into 2013 just to give fellow ASOIAF fans a thrill :D

message 23: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Michael wrote: "Im sorry to "Rain" on everyones parade but we are talking way too far in the future with the date of January 2015. He posted and released the same type release dates for DWD. its kinda the same way..."

Excellent point, Micheal! I remember all the "publication dates" for Dragons, only to have it pushed father and farther back..

message 24: by Victor (new)

Victor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind...

This gives a lot of information. Tells you the POV's in The Winds of Winter, too.

message 25: by yeoman (new)

yeoman I only started the series a few years ago after a trip to Powells in Portland. I'm so engrossed in Martins world in my mind that I don't dare watch the series, it would wreck my version.

This is Not a series for readers who want their stories to wrap up in the end. It is not for those who want instant gratification but rather for a few who want reading to be a ride. Readers who do not possess enough imagination to allow a story to develop visually will not appreciate Martins desire to write his stories like a screenplay.

If you're a skimmer and a speed reader you may not appreciate this series. Let Martin write. He does a beautiful job taking me out of my day and I for one look forward to the next release with patient anticipation.

message 26: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Ms. wrote: "I only started the series a few years ago after a trip to Powells in Portland. I'm so engrossed in Martins world in my mind that I don't dare watch the series, it would wreck my version.

This i..."

I've never seen the show, either, though I am interested is seeing what they've done with it. The main reason I haven't seen is simple: we don't have HBO. I know the seasons are now on DVD, I just haven't looked into them. And besides, I'd rather buy other books than spend the money on the show. I'd much rather be reading GRRM's brilliance!!

I'm certainly not a skim/speed reader. I'm rather slow, in fact, as I tend to absorb everything and appreciate the written word.

message 27: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Victor wrote: "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind...

This gives a lot of information. Tells you the POV's in The Winds of Winter, too."

Thank you, Victor!

message 28: by Victor (new)

Victor You're welcome, Dustin:)

message 29: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Victor wrote: "You're welcome, Dustin:)"

:)

message 30: by Karen (new)

Karen Azinger | 256 comments Sad to say, when it comes to GRRM, book publications dates are words in the wind. I'm resigned to a five or six year wait.

message 31: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments I've never seen the show, either, though I am interested is seeing what they've done with it. The main reason I haven't seen is simple: we don't have HBO. I know the seasons are now on DVD, I just haven't looked into them. And besides, I'd rather buy other books than spend the money on the show. I'd much rather be reading GRRM's brilliance!!

I might be the only one with this opinion, but honestly, you aren't missing anything by not watching the show.
What I like about the show is, it introduced to me to the books.
The first season was good, but season two started derailing and season three was like...WTF?

I think my favorite part of Season 3 was literally the Facebook recaps on HappyPlace.
But thats because I'm a purist. What I'd like to see is a 17 hour verbatim rendition of 5 chapters a year. LOL!

message 32: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Amber wrote: "I've never seen the show, either, though I am interested is seeing what they've done with it. The main reason I haven't seen is simple: we don't have HBO. I know the seasons are now on DVD, I just ..."

I have heard that seasons 2 and 3 (particularly 3,) deviate from the books. I appreciate feedback, thank you, Amber.

message 33: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 113 comments Amber, I agree with you. I'd like to see a 17 hour verbatim rendition of 5 chapters as well!! I too am a purist. I think the 3rd season has just been.... GRRRRRR. It's my favorite book out of the series and I feel cheated.

message 34: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments Aly - Same here.

I wasn't very impressed with this season at all. It was very meh

I feel a bit guilty because a lot of fans are totally stoked out about it and I especially feel guilty when people start listing there favorite scenes and I hate them all. *sigh*

My favorite scenes are when they quote an exact line from the novel....LOL Sad, but True. I've pretty much given up on TV and Movies altogether to be perfectly honest.

(and I swear I'm not a regularly negative person!)

Eyehavenofilter | 764 comments Excited.......
Hmmm, putting it mildly.......I've been sitting here, grinding my teeth( hence the mouth guard) thrashing about( Now in a lovely padded room) fussing with the buckles on my jacket( which is a real pain because they are all done the back and my arm holes are sewn in sewn in, wrapped around me and I can't bloody well reach them), so how's your #%€£in' 4 year wait been?

Eyehavenofilter | 764 comments Oh and my helmet is too damned tight!

message 37: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Eyehavenofilter wrote: "Oh and my helmet is too damned tight!"

:) ROFL

message 38: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol (mynameiscarol) | 12 comments I'm really looking forward to it.

message 39: by Jeanette (new) - added it

Jeanette Thomas | 7 comments I am can't wait!

message 40: by N (new)

N | 234 comments I'm actually not 'excited' I'm resigned to a long wait and will be excited when there is a release date.........

message 41: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin N wrote: "I'm actually not 'excited' I'm resigned to a long wait and will be excited when there is a release date........."

Good point!

message 42: by Pupu830 (new)

Pupu830 | 5 comments I hope the Stark will back in power again. Maybe Rickon will finally have his story.

message 43: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Pupu830 wrote: "I hope the Stark will back in power again. Maybe Rickon will finally have his story."

message 44: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol (mynameiscarol) | 12 comments Pupu830 wrote: "I hope the Stark will back in power again. Maybe Rickon will finally have his story."

Dustin wrote: "Pupu830 wrote: "I hope the Stark will back in power again. Maybe Rickon will finally have his story."

:)"

Perhaps. I read somewhere that says GRRM said he didn't really focus too much on Rickon because he's 4 years old at the beginning of the series and he would have a hard time writing from a 4 year old's perspective. He does get older, though, so maybe GRRM will feel more comfortable writing from his perspective soon.

message 45: by Amber (last edited Jun 26, 2013 09:33AM) (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments I heard Martin wasn't going to add anymore POV's but I haven't confirmed it.

My guess is we will experience Rickon through Davos POV and possibly others if he agrees to come back to mainland Westeros.

Eyehavenofilter | 764 comments Amber wrote: "I heard Martin wasn't going to add anymore POV's but I haven't confirmed it.

My guess is we will experience Rickon through Davos POV and possibly others if he agrees to come back to mainland Weste..."

No no no no......
Face palm!
No more suppositions...
No more guessing....
Just give me the blasted book already!

message 47: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments Time to call The Doctor.
Make a wish!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments hahaha, I will be excited when the book is out in the bookstore.

message 49: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Eyehavenofilter wrote: "Amber wrote: "I heard Martin wasn't going to add anymore POV's but I haven't confirmed it.

My guess is we will experience Rickon through Davos POV and possibly others if he agrees to come back to ..."

Eyehavenofilter | 764 comments EXCITED isn't quite what I feel.... It's more like....

Rnfuehgritugeirhifumghosiefughbolksdjfiijeroipoerithgoeruyduhovokmepdokoquheiuh!!!!!!!!!!!
Where is the blasted book already???????

« previous 1