XOJane Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marissa (new)

Marissa | 15 comments Hello All,
I know there are a lot of people who just joined the group because of the Summer Reading list posted by Hannah. I was just wondering if anyone else would be interested in reading one of the books she listed. Her list includes:

Play it as it Lays by Joan Didion
Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann
Summer at Tiffany by Marjorie Hart
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffery Eugenides

link to article : http://www.xojane.com/entertainment/e...

I personally have not read any of these and would love to start discussing one on June 25th. That is if anyone else is up to it ;) Should we just read them in order? Is that lame? I love doing things in order.

message 2: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Schulman | 10 comments I would like to so "Valley of the Dolls" next month. I'd love to hear the XOJane opinion.

message 3: by Casey (new)

Casey King | 8 comments I second Valley of the Dolls. I've read The Virgin Suicides.

message 4: by Janine (new)

Janine Annett | 12 comments I agree, Valley of the Dolls!

message 5: by Marissa (new)

Marissa | 15 comments Ok, I'll check and see if my trusty ol' public library has it this weekend. So excited. Do you all think you would be ready to discuss July 1?

I feel that I just bombarded this book club and insisted that we read these books. Hope no one minds :)

message 6: by Faye (last edited Jun 13, 2013 08:22PM) (new)

Faye | 17 comments Yo! I would read Valley of the Dolls? Also interested in Joan Didion. And I think any way to get more people involved and reading the same books the better. With The Interestings there was a jillion people on board and only a few of us ended up talking about it.

P.S. I've actually taught a few classes on the Virgin Suicides!

message 7: by Aja (new)

Aja (etoilee8) | 5 comments I was thinking maybe people didn't finish it on time and that's why the discussion was so small.

message 8: by Fem (new)

Fem | 47 comments I don't think you had to have it finished, but maybe that does work better for the discussion.

Anyway, it's going to be Valley of the Dolls now, isn't it? I'll try to get a copy and hope I'll have it in time.

message 9: by Marissa (new)

Marissa | 15 comments Turns out the closest library copy is 30miles away from me. So I'm ordering mine off amazon.

Also I didn't even know about this group until I searched for it after the Summer Reading post. If I had known I would have read and discussed The Interestings with all of you.

message 10: by Fem (new)

Fem | 47 comments My local libraries don't have it either, but I don't have amazon, so I need to have imported. I might propose Dutch books in the future to solve this for me ;)

message 11: by Faye (new)

Faye | 17 comments Fem, that's sucks. Are there other used book sites you have access to?

Also, I swear I commented this somewhere, but apparently not...I think it might be good to do chapter goals to keep everyone on the same page?

message 12: by Fem (new)

Fem | 47 comments I was looking into ebooks, but the Dutch market is fenced for some reason (that is also why the fastest way to get German books -which I needed when I studied German - is to hop on the train to Germany), so I can't even access non-Dutch ebook stores.

Anyway, I'll get it, just not overnight.

message 13: by Casey (new)

Casey King | 8 comments Faye, I like that idea, then we don't have to worry about spoilers and what not. That leaves much more room for discussion.

message 14: by Marissa (new)

Marissa | 15 comments I'm totally up for chapter goals, that's genius Faye. I don't have the book yet, so I have no idea how long the chapters are/how many there are. Does someone who has it want to set a goal for us?

message 15: by Alexis (new)

Alexis | 3 comments Hi y'all, I am down to read Valley of the Dolls for our next book. I just couldn't get into The Interestings and wound up not finishing it. I think chapter goals are a really good idea, keeping everyone on the same page will really help the discussion. Also, I would be remiss if I didn't recommend my favorite book of all time, Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.

message 16: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen I agree with either chapter goals, or just chapter based threads. That way you can move into whatever chapter you're on when you get to it. Maybe even chapter clump threads.

message 17: by Marissa (new)

Marissa | 15 comments Oh, chapter threads, I like that idea as well! When I get into a book I tend to speed through it pretty quickly. That would make things easy for everyone to move at their own pace.

message 18: by Fem (new)

Fem | 47 comments The book has arrived, just in time. Do we have a first chapter goal yet?

message 19: by Marissa (new)

Marissa | 15 comments Ah, I'm really hoping that my book arrives by tomorrow. How many people already have the book?