Authors & Reviewers discussion

Tips & Tricks For Reviewers > What makes a good review?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews, Head MOD!! (new)

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) | 589 comments Mod
Reviews are all about your honest oppinion on a book. When I write a review, I try to think about what made me like, or not like the book. However, sometimes I read these amazing reviews, and I think wow...that is an awesome review. So my question is, in your oppinion, what makes a good review. Do you tell a little about the book, or do you just get right to the point?

message 2: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Oldham (marisaoldham) | 554 comments Mod
I'm not a fan of the synopsis review. The author or publisher takes a lot of care and time to create a synopsis of the book. Just writing your own synopsis is not a review in the sense that is intended. We are rating books with stars and then supposed to tell how we felt about the review. I'll take any review (as long as it's constructive and a good one lol) but I want to know how my books make people feel. Not what happens in the book, I know what happens, I wrote it. So to me a good review is honest, constructive if it needs to be, and tells whether you would or would not recommend the book to friends. That's my two cents for what it's worth.

message 3: by María (new)

María | 30 comments My opinion: get right to the point. For me is hard write a review whitout spoilers because you are talking about the best parts of the books, the things you love or hate...

message 4: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Oldham (marisaoldham) | 554 comments Mod
María wrote: "My opinion: get right to the point. For me is hard write a review whitout spoilers because you are talking about the best parts of the books, the things you love or hate..."

This is true Maria. That's why groups are good because everyone should be done with a book at the same time or they can avoid posts if they know there is a discussion going on.

I agree with you, it is hard. I look to reviews to help me choose a book. Had I read the reviews on 50 Shades of Grey I may not have read it at all. :)