What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > In a rut! Need Help!

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (drizztthedragonfaerie) | 85 comments Hey guys, and gals. I seem to be in a rut. I know that that probably sounds weird but it's just how it is. You see, I read quite a lot and right now I have no clue what to read at all. If you could suggest books to read that are preferably in a series I would greatly appreciate it.
Some of the things that I like to read are anything Paranormal (romance and the like), anything Romance usually I don't mind if it's really exotic stuff like BDSM, or menage, or same sex except for ladies together, action, Military, young adult, science fiction, fantasy.
As you can see, I really like to read and usually don't mind what i'm reading as long as I like it, and it's something that is not boring.
Thanks in advance for all your help!

Samantha The Escapist (greatescapist) | 39 comments Okay, so to clarify - you don't want fantasy and young adult? Or you only want those types of unique sexual scenarios if they're PART of those other genres you listed? If the first - that does kinda cut out a lot of my recommendations :P

This is a charming little steampunk read http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/97... with at least one sequel. I expect there will be more, but none yet announced.

And based on what books we have in common (and your ratings) I would say The Demon Trapper's Daughter isn't a bad one. It's YA though, but it's Urban Fantasy/Paranormal. Similar in many ways to The Mortal Instruments. Quick reads, 4 books. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/87...

Get back to me about those other genres, because I have many more to suggest!

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4075 comments Mod
I'd recommend two series by Mercedes Lackey:

The Elemental Masters series, which begins with The Fire Rose. This series has paranormal, romance, and a retelling of fairy tales set in early 20th century.

The Diana Tregarde series, which begins with Burning Water. This series is a modern setting involving a powerful witch and a psychic police detective. Alas, there are only three in this series.

message 4: by Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, (last edited Jun 11, 2013 12:32AM) (new)

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 258 comments Do you like heavy or light reading? Do you only want recs of YA? Here are series I've enjoyed:

YA, fantasy, sci-fi, horror: Abhorsen series, it was a trilogy but another book is coming out that's set in this world. The first book has my favorite heroine and the second and third book have a different heroine from the first, Lirael. There is a world with a wall and on one side there is a non-magical country called Ancelstierre. The other side of the heavily guarded wall is the country called the Old Kingdom where the dead thrive and magic exists. Sabriel is the heroine who has just graduated from her boarding school. I think she's 17 or 18. She is a necromancer but a special kind. Necromancers are people who control the dead and bring them out of the afterlife to do their bidding whereas the Abhorsen, the special kind of necromancer Sabriel was born to be, is the one who forces the dead who walk among the living back into death where they belong. Sabriel's father has disappeared and Sabriel takes on the role as the new Abhorsen. She crosses the Wall to the Old Kingdom to find her father and that's the beginning of the Abhorsen Trilogy/Series/ or the Old Kingdom series.
Sabriel (Abhorsen, #1) by Garth Nix

The Forest of Hands and Teeth series is by Carrie Ryan. It's about zombies and it's YA. The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1) by Carrie Ryan

Gena Showalter's Alien Huntress is action sci-fi and adult paranormal romance.
Awaken Me Darkly (Alien Huntress, #1) by Gena Showalter

I read City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare , Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1) by Melissa Marr and Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz around the same time back when I was in high school. They're all YA, fantasy and paranormal. The first one has demon hunters, here they're called Shadowhunters. The second has fae (The Summer King is seeking his Summer Queen and Ash/Aislinn/the heroine just happens to be a candidate for the Summer Queen's role. I only love the first book though and it was a surprising imaginative read). The third one is complex as heck and I don't know if you'll like it since I have mixed feelings about it but it might be more your cup of tea. Reincarnated vampire-like beings. Actually, all three have given me headaches with its complexity.

The Uglies Trilogy by Scott Westerfeld. This is the blurb for the first book:
Tally Youngblood is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait for the operation that turns everyone from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to party. But new friend Shay would rather hoverboard to "the Smoke" and be free. Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world and it isn't very pretty. The "Special Circumstances" authority Dr Cable offers Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever. It does this book no justice. This is YA and Sci-fi. It appears to be a utopian world but it's more dystopian than it seems. Running away from the government, I really like this kind of theme.
Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld

My cousin loves Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White . I thought it was just ok. Maybe you can take a whack at it? YA, Paranomal, they're an agency monitoring paranormals.

Alice in Zombieland (The White Rabbit Chronicles, #1) by Gena Showalter sounds intriguing. Its written by one of my favorite adult romance authors (Lords of the Underworld): Gena Showalter.

After reading a few of the books from these YA books: The Devouring (The Devouring, #1) by Simon Holt and The Body Finder (The Body Finder, #1) by Kimberly Derting (they're sort-of paranormal), I loved them so much (esp. The Devouring) that I want to try Wake (Dream Catcher, #1) by Lisa McMann which looks promising.

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Thompson | 3 comments If you like the epic fantasies, the Sword of Truth series is great! The first book is Wizard's First Rule. It's about a young man who finds out that he is the Seeker, a powerful Mage born in another world. The whole series follows him and his journey to explore his power and become the savior of the land

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Thompson | 3 comments Catherine Cookson's books are good too. The Dwelling Place and the Rag Nymph are my favorites! These are historical fiction/romance and mostly stand alones, but I think she might have some series out there

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6990 comments Mod
Have you tried any of Andre Norton's books? She has a really LARGE semi-series--the books are all set on the same world, generically called Witch World. Surprisingly enough (hear the sarcasm?) the first book is called Witch World. She does tend to kind of "clump" them together in smaller series--usually 2 or 3 or really rarely 4 books. And some of the "longer" series are following families or characters that you met in the first book or two. These are only kind of romance--there IS some, but it's not the main focus of the books.

No one has suggested Tanya Huff to you--she actually has several different series, all finished. Her oldest series, the Victory Nelson series was made into a TV series that unfortunately didn't last long enough. It is set in Canada and features a former policewoman (Vicky "Victory" Nelson) who has RP and was forced into an early retirement. Vicky is assisted by her ex-partner on the Force AND by Henry Fitzroy--aka Henry, Duke of Richmond and Somerset, second (and illegitimate) child of Henry VIII. And did I mention--vampire? There are I THINK 6 books in the series (could be 5, I don't remember after all this time) but Huff tells a good story. NO romance in this series. Her next series is humourous. It's the Keeper series. She has a "high fantasy" series, as well as the more "urban fantasy" ones. She has a series that she's started, but there are only 2 books in it, thus far. Plus she's done a bunch of short stories and things.

Patricia Briggs has 2 series that interlap to a certain degree. The first one is the Mercy Thompson series and is straight UF, with very little romance. The second series, which is actually a spin-off of the Mercy series is the Alpha and Omega series. She also has some "high fantasy" series, and a stand-alone called The Hob's Bargain which, again, is "high fantasy".

I'm going to second a few previous suggestions also. Mercedes Lackey is an excellent writer--and not just the 2 series suggested below. I like almost all of her books. I like some of Cookson's books as well.

Now, for a few that are maybe a little bit out of your "comfort zone" without being totally out there. Glen Cook has several series that are excellent. Some that are set in fantasy worlds, but "read" more like UF than straight fantasy. The Black CompanySweet Silver Blues are the first books in the 2 series that he has that I liked.

From what your wrote, I can't figure if you DO want military or not, but, I'm going to go with a sci-fi military writer John Ringo. A couple of good series by him.

Chloe Neill has Chicagoland Vampires series. It's not finished yet, but there are 6?7? (sorry I've lost count) books out in it already.

Karen Marie Moning has several series out--word of warning with her however--if the series is NOT finished DO NOT START IT. The shouting in this case was warranted, since she has the horrible habit of ending a book with a cliffhanger. And she's not a really fast writer--so it will be at least a year before the next book comes out. (I learned this the hard way with the Darkfever series.) Still it is an excellent series, and, since it IS finished, I'd recommend it.

message 8: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (alyciac) | 47 comments You and I appear to have a pretty good number of books in common ... some that I have not yet seen suggested that I would consider for you are

Merry Gentry or (early) Anita Blake books by Laurell K. Hamilton
Jim Butcher's Dresden Files
the October Daye series by Seanan McGuire
Nalini Singh has several interesting series
Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Underworld

message 9: by Kaitlyn (last edited Jun 12, 2013 05:16PM) (new)

Kaitlyn (drizztthedragonfaerie) | 85 comments Samantha The Escapist wrote: "Okay, so to clarify - you don't want fantasy and young adult? Or you only want those types of unique sexual scenarios if they're PART of those other genres you listed? If the first - that does kind..."

I don't really care what you give me. I can take fantasy and young adult and anything that you care to give me I am just really desperate for something new!

Alycia, I would say that we do have a lot in common. I have read all the Merry Gentry and Anita Blake series that is available and quite enjoyed them. I tried the Dresden files and October Daye series but just couldn't get into them I kind of found them lacking something. Nalini Singh Guild Hunter series was the bomb! I haven't read Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Underworld because I just couldn't get into them, there was no ping there you know?

Goge, I read the Abhorsen Series when I was in Jr. High and again in High school multiple times I really liked that series, it was fun. Actually, I have read most of the books that you have suggested, just not all of them.

As to the rest of you Thank You for all the suggestions, I hope that I get to them all. As to the military aspect the ones that I have read has been some sort of romance attached to it. Take Rita Henuber's Under Fire for instance.

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 604 comments a couple of books/series

Grave Mercy - historical fiction with a touch of fantasy - assassin nuns

The Privilege of the Sword - this is actually middle of a series - but it can be read alone (per the author) - its what's called mannerpunk - so a satirical take on historical society - also fantasy - does have some GLBT themes

message 11: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 861 comments I've got quite a few books in common with you, so I'll list a couple that I enjoyed.

If you've nothing against Harlequins, the shapechanger series that starts with Jaguar Night (Sentinels, #1) is pretty good.

Virals is also all right.

message 12: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Bush-townsend | 21 comments The girl in the box its a ten part series 6 books are out now the first one is alone.

message 13: by Jai (new)

Jai | 61 comments My five-star favorites that you might not have heard of:

The Second Greatest Story Ever Told

Anything by Cassandra Gannon

Pamela Dean's The Secret Country trilogy

Fool on the Hill

Sewer, Gas and Electric: The Public Works Trilogy

Leader of the Pack

The Secret History of the Pink Carnation series

Amy Lane's Little Goddess quartet, starting with Vulnerable

MaryJanice Davidson's Alaska Royals trilogy, starting with The Royal Treatment

Wen Spencer's Tinker trilogy and its accompanying short stories, including the free one on Baen's website right now

Robin McKinley's The Blue Sword and The Hero and the Crown