B-5 GoodReads Challenge 2013 discussion

Share your favorite picture book with us & why it's so memorable.

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dr. Laura (last edited Jun 10, 2013 05:53PM) (new)

Dr. Laura Meyers | 10 comments Mod
It's difficult for me to choose just one favorite! One picture book that I just love reading aloud with my nephews is "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus" - I love how interactive the text is! James & Thadd love to shout out "NO!!" And, they just giggle their way through to the end. :) I also enjoy the illustrations - seemingly simplistic & very child-like.

message 2: by Kai (new)

Kai Palmer | 7 comments My favorite is "Love You, Forever"! I like that babies grow up and will always be babies to their parents. It also shows the stages and phases children go through as they become adults.

message 3: by Katlin (new)

Katlin Sims | 5 comments I have so many favorites that it is really difficult to pick just one! One of my favorites is the book "The Dot" by Peter H. Reynolds because it encourages children to try new things, even if it's difficult. It also teaches children and reminds adults that each person is an individual and have their own special beauty to bring into the world, sometimes all they need is someone to encourage and believe in them.

message 4: by Hope (new)

Hope | 6 comments 'Oh, the Places You'll Go!' is one of my all time favorites!! It is such an uplifting & encouraging book, for children of all ages. I LOVE so many other children's books as well, I have even started my own library full of them.

message 5: by Rhaynes5 (new)

Rhaynes5 | 4 comments My favorite picture book has to be "Miss Spider's Wedding" by David Kirk. I LOVE the Miss Spider series!! But, this one is my particular favorite because it's a sweet love story. I enjoy the beautiful colors and the pictures that pop off of every page! This is one of my favorite books from childhood that I share with others when ever I get the chance!

message 6: by Carly (new)

Carly Gates | 4 comments I have read so many at this point in my life that its almost impossible to choose a favorite. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is definitely one of my all time favorites. I read it as a child and loved the repetitiveness and how silly it was, and as I got older I loved the message. I definitely plan to read it to my own kids as well! It's a classic.

message 7: by Antonia (new)

Antonia (toneeags) | 9 comments For me, I am a fan of any book that offers cultural connection and pictures that represent that culture. My favorite book of all time is Sosu's Call. I love this book because it pictures the life of Sosu a boy that is disabled and living in a village. The pictures capture the essence of the village, the people and the realistic atmosphere surrounding this small town. It can easily take our students to a new place. It can be used to identify likes and differences between the children in the book and those in the classroom. Books like Sosu's Call are a great cultural tool to add to your classroom library.

message 8: by Rehema (new)

Rehema Payne | 5 comments My most memorable picture book would have to be Anansi the Spider and the Seven Yam Hills. I loved this book because I can remember my 3rd grade teacher reading it to us very animated like. I remember how engaging it was for me to listen to her read it in the accent that Anansi would have. I loved it so much that I bought it for my first born niece and read it to her the same way that my teacher did for me. She loved it also!

message 9: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylawisner) | 15 comments I like to read the Dr.Seuss books to my nephew. He likes all the crazy drawings and the rhyming. He also likes the Mickey Mouse books because that is what he watches on TV

message 10: by Lakeira (new)

Lakeira King | 8 comments My favorite picture book is Love you Forever! It is soooo sweet and completely warms my heart every time! I am so ashamed to say that I have not purchased this book for my son. As a matter of fact, I am going to order it right now!!

message 11: by Carla (new)

Carla Raymer | 6 comments Mine was always "The Night Before Christmas". It was my favorite book! I could count on my mum to read that to me every Christmas Eve! Maybe something about it being my favorite season and knowing that the next morning Santa would come made it the most memorable book for me.

message 12: by Ginna (new)

Ginna (princesa76) | 4 comments Its so hard to pick one, but I will say one of my favorite picture books is "Is your Mama a Llama?" This is probably the firs bilingual book I read to my own children and they loved it so much, I had to read it 2 or 3 times every night, and when I was not there, my Mom would read it to them. My kids are 9 and 10 years old now, and they still have the book on their shelf of favorites...and once in a while, they ask me to read it at night. It brings us all good memories.

message 13: by Robyn (new)

Robyn Watt | 6 comments My favorite book would be CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS!! i loved that book as a child and i still do,i love food and eating is a favorite hobby and past time of mine so food falling from the sky in huge amounts really got me excited, did not like the movie so much, the book was wonderfully illustrated and i do like how the plot thickened and so did the crazy food weather.

message 14: by Jennifer (last edited Jun 23, 2013 02:02PM) (new)

Jennifer | 6 comments I like reading "Chickens to the Rescue" by John Himmelman, to my granddaughter. She likes it too, but not at bedtime because it gets her so excited! The chickens help Farmer Greenstalk and his wife with all the problems on their farm. This is a great story to read to preschool students. They enjoy looking at the pictures and it sparks some lively discussion!

message 15: by Alysia (new)

Alysia | 5 comments My favorite picture book, has to be and probably always will be "Green Eggs and Ham". I love the whole conversation, how the main character is so adamant about not liking green eggs and ham, and refuses to try them anyway they are presented to him. Then finally he tries them and they are not so bad after all, he thinks they are actually good. This story taught a lesson a long time ago that you can't say you don't like things until you actually try them. That would also be a good lesson to be taught to my students using this very same book.

message 16: by Julie (new)

Julie | 5 comments I think I really like the books which has some kinds of moral/lesson for readers, so children(readers) can think and learn from the reading of the book. My favorit book would be "The Lion and the Mouse" and "The Dot". Of course both of the books includ great illustrations and teach friendship/loyalty and possibility of encouragement by increasing the child's self-esteem. Those were the best books that I've read during the summer.

message 17: by Lakeira (new)

Lakeira King | 8 comments Robyn wrote: "My favorite book would be CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS!! i loved that book as a child and i still do,i love food and eating is a favorite hobby and past time of mine so food falling from the s..."

I remember this book! I remember the pictures too! They were amazing. Did you see the movie? It was good.

message 18: by Lakeira (new)

Lakeira King | 8 comments Carly wrote: "I have read so many at this point in my life that its almost impossible to choose a favorite. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is definitely one of my all time favorites...."

I really want to read this book. Dr. Meyers had this book out but i didn't get to it.

message 19: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylawisner) | 15 comments I am not sure that I am able to pick out just one picture book that I think would be my fav......I really like books that let the kids interact with the story. I did enjoy the read aloud in class about the Dot.

message 20: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylawisner) | 15 comments Lakeira wrote: "Carly wrote: "I have read so many at this point in my life that its almost impossible to choose a favorite. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is definitely one of my all t..."

I remember that book it was so good. It's been awhile since I read it but i know it was good.

message 21: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylawisner) | 15 comments Carla wrote: "Mine was always "The Night Before Christmas". It was my favorite book! I could count on my mum to read that to me every Christmas Eve! Maybe something about it being my favorite season and knowing ..."

My dad read this to me when I was a kid. I enjoyed it and when I have my own kids I plan on reading it to them Christmas eve to get them to sleep.

message 22: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Long | 4 comments I wouldn't say I really have a favorite picture book, but if I had to choose one that stands out to me I would have to say the Eric Carle books (e.g. The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See?, etc.). I love his illustrations, and I enjoy the layered pages he uses in so many of his works.

message 23: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylawisner) | 15 comments I remember brown bear I taught my cousin how to reAd that book then my mom realized he memorized it when he was holding it upside down.

message 24: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Douthat | 4 comments One of my favorite picture books was “The Talking Eggs” growing up. I had forgotten about the book until I saw it in this class but I remember listening to the story just waiting to see what would happen next! It was magical and of course the ending was perfect with the mean sister and mom getting what they deserve! But my favorite books to read are usually Dr. Seuss books, like “Fox in Sock” it’s a fun tongue twister!

message 25: by Rehema (new)

Rehema Payne | 5 comments My favorite picture books by far are by Dr. Seuss. I loved "One Fish, Two Fish." The illustrations in his books are always funky, colorful and evoked creativity in my own imagination. I will enjoy reading them to my students in the future. My nieces loved when I would read these books to them and would always ask to read it again!

message 26: by Dr. Laura (new)

Dr. Laura Meyers | 10 comments Mod
Such great titles! I hope you're all recording these recommendations on your shelves ... and just keep adding! :)