Rated YA-MA discussion

Buddy Reads > Buddy Read Discussion Topic

Comments Showing 1-50 of 170 (170 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments This will be the discussion topic for all buddy reads which do not have a series topic of their own.

If your scheduled buddy read has a series topic in one of the genre folders, please use that topic instead to discuss your buddy read.

message 2: by Wendy F, biblioholic (last edited Jul 01, 2013 10:49AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments This thread is officially open.

Please see Stacia's post above regarding how this thread should work.

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 867 comments Can we meet here for adult books too? ;)

message 4: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments The mods are talking it over. We'll let you know. :)

message 5: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments That would be just fine Sandra. Having a few adult buddy reads would be fine in between the YA buddy reads. :)

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 867 comments Ok. I really don't know the mechanics of this thread so I'm improvising. Please mods, let me know if there's a better way to do it.

A Fall of Water (Elemental Mysteries #4) by Elizabeth Hunter : Adult buddy reading with Rachel.

This week I might read less than I'm used to and way less than you usually do. I'm sorry to be a crappy buddy reader once again.

Getting started at Chapter 4: What I'm liking so far is (view spoiler)

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 560 comments I'm on Chapter 13 but take your time! I've got other things I'm reading as well, I just got in a groove last night.

I also really enjoyed that scene! Actually, I loved the "Peeping Tim" scene that happened just before it. I laughed out loud! Tamzin is my favorite character by far. :)

(view spoiler)

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 867 comments I think so. I also have some idea about (view spoiler) but I'm not telling you because it's probably a bad guess and you might have a better idea so I'd kind of be spoilered, haha.

My favorite secondary has always been Carwyn but lately he hasn't been the same he used to be. This book I'm laughing so much at Dez's remarks! I love her. And I like Ben too (it's unusual because I usually don't have boys among my favorites). But he's funny.

Please feel free to read as much as you feel like. Don't hold back for me. I'll be checking and feed backing as soon as I can :)

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 560 comments As much as I hate to say it, I felt like B and Gio were a little too romantic in the last book. If I had to read about how he "pulled her into his lap" one more time I was going to scream.

I like that in the fourth book their relationships has moved beyond the "honeymoon" phase and while they're definitely still all over each other it's a little less in-your-face.

I like Ben and Dez, too!

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 867 comments Rachel wrote: "As much as I hate to say it, I felt like B and Gio were a little too romantic in the last book. If I had to read about how he "pulled her into his lap" one more time I was going to scream.

I li..."

By last book you meant the 3rd book? That was indeed my issue with it. I'm just at chapter 7 and he's pulling her into his lap a lot in this one too.
I realize that the author is trying to make them as funny, original, sexy and short rendezvous but I shouldn't be noticing she's trying to.

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 867 comments What a buddy I am! Sure thing you'll have already finished off. I'm closing chapter 9. What a twist (view spoiler).
I thought the book was becoming an OK when suddenly I got at 33% the bend I'd expected for the final. I hope this keeps on like this.

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 560 comments I stopped reading it for a little bit while I waited for you to catch up. :) I'm working on trying to finish Shadowfever which I'm finding to be a bit of a slog.

I was also really surprised (view spoiler)

message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 867 comments Haha thank you for waiting for me. I seems that I'll be reading half the time this month than I normally do because my bf takes me up to work so I'm not reading in the tube, just at home. I'm still 4 chapter behind you, and you stopped for two days. That's almost embarrassing but I appreciate ^_^ Go to bed to read ;)

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 867 comments Finally I'm getting to Chapter 14!
My mouth reached the floor when (view spoiler)

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 560 comments I didn't like that either and I thought Paulo's reaction was kinda strange (in that there was no reaction).

I'm just starting Chapter 16 and (view spoiler)

message 16: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 867 comments Haha, it's 7 am here and I was so sleepy that I clicked on that spoiler. Fortunately I recalled I was at chapter 14 just in time.

message 17: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 867 comments About your question:(view spoiler).
I'm at chapter 19:(view spoiler)

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 560 comments Yes! That's who he was! I thought he was one of Carwyn's "children." Okay then, that makes that scene so much cooler now. :)

message 19: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 867 comments Boo. So sorry. This month I'm even worse buddy reader than I used to. Where are you at? Did you finish yet?

I've just finished chapter 22. I specially liked this one (view spoiler).

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 560 comments I just finished it! We'll chat about the ending when you get there. :)

In book four I've liked the interactions between the side characters more than the interactions between B and Gio. The Gio/Carwyn scene you mentioned and the scenes between Tamzin and Ben especially. I've even liked Ben and Dez together. (view spoiler)

I think Elizabeth Hunter does a really good job of writing dialogue

message 21: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 867 comments I'm at the end but work interposes with it, boo.
I liked Ben and Dez too.

message 22: by Kdbrand (last edited Mar 01, 2014 08:05AM) (new)

Kdbrand | 353 comments Buddy read for Unravel by Calia Read

I just started, and feel like this is going to be a thrilling read!

message 23: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1228 comments I have read 1 chapter between parent conferences and really love the use of metaphor. It seems to be beautifully written so far and has me intrigued.

message 24: by Rachel (last edited Feb 28, 2014 11:52AM) (new)

Rachel | 560 comments I had a few moments so I thought "I'll just read the first chapter and then pick it up again tonight." An hour later I had to force myself to turn off my Kindle!

I'm dying to know what is up with these characters! If it weren't for this buddy read I would probably devour this book in a night. Thanks to you ladies I'm forced to savor it bit by bit. :)

ETA: I read chapters 1-3

(view spoiler)

message 25: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1228 comments I have now read chapters 1-4 and am going to stop for the night and resume tomorrow, I think. I have a get together tonight so I will be occupied. Over all I am intrigued and curious about what is going on. I didn't get into chapter 4 as much as the first couple but it is not like it is bad or anything.

message 26: by Kdbrand (new)

Kdbrand | 353 comments Diane wrote: "I have read 1 chapter between parent conferences and really love the use of metaphor. It seems to be beautifully written so far and has me intrigued."

I agree, the writing style is powerful. Just finished Chapter 5 and had to force myself to stop. My brain is whirling with all kinds of questions, and I hope that this is one of those books that keeps me guessing until the end.

message 27: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (tostyleandgrace) | 9 comments Currently on Chapter 6 and I have major anxiety. I need answers! And I totally agree - the writing is amazing!

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 560 comments Hey Stephanie! Welcome to the group!

message 29: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (tostyleandgrace) | 9 comments Hi Rachel - thank you! :)

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 560 comments I'm on Chapter 6 and I'm loving the writing style.

So, anybody have any theories yet?

message 31: by Robin (new)

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) I only had time to get through a few chapters last night and today. But I'm totally getting the someone did a bad bad thing vibe from it.

Max does seem to good to be true and (view spoiler)

message 32: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (tostyleandgrace) | 9 comments Getting good vibes from Max, but that's all I got. I have no idea where the story is going!

message 33: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (tostyleandgrace) | 9 comments On another note: are you guys pronouncing Lana's name "La-nuh" or "Lay-nah".

message 34: by Rachel (last edited Mar 01, 2014 04:43PM) (new)

Rachel | 560 comments Haha good question! I'm going with La-nuh, like from American Horror Story

I keep thinking about Naomi as an unreliable narrator... is it possible that some of these characters (view spoiler)

message 35: by Robin (last edited Mar 01, 2014 04:48PM) (new)

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) Rachel that is exactly what I was thinking.

message 36: by Robin (new)

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) so just finished up with chapters 5-8 so far I really like the chemistry with max and then chapter 6 happened and it was the first big wtf moment.

I have a theory and I'm going to be pissed if I figured it out this early but we will see how it goes.

This just took a very different turn though. But I have family time going on so not sure if I'll get more in today.

message 37: by Kdbrand (new)

Kdbrand | 353 comments Just made it through Chapter 13, and I'm really getting a wtf vibe from this book.

message 38: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (tostyleandgrace) | 9 comments I have a theory too. I'm interested to see how close I am.

message 39: by Robin (new)

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) So just finished chapter 13 um...wow

I have a theory I'm pretty confident in at the moment and I'm just going to spoiler tag it here. I'll look at again when I'm finished, don't look unless you want my theory to infect your reading.

(view spoiler)

message 40: by Robin (new)

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) At chapter 23 sooo the second half of my theory probably doesn't hold water but I'm sticking by my thoughts about Naomi. I'm just probably wrong about Max and Lachlan very wrong.

message 41: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 560 comments Robin, I'm so tempted to click on your spoiler! I'm on Chapter 8 and I agree, Chapter 6 was a shocker! A big contrast to the previous chapter and Max and Naomi's interactions. I think that made Chapter 6 even more powerful and disturbing to me.

message 42: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (tostyleandgrace) | 9 comments Beginning chapter 13 now!

message 43: by Kdbrand (new)

Kdbrand | 353 comments Almost to chapter 29, and I have finally started to form a theory.

message 44: by Robin (new)

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) A few chapters later and only one of my three theories even has a chance of being true. But I have formed one new one to go along with it.

I'm sure I'll finish this today since it was really hard to put down last night after my hubby fell asleep.

message 45: by Robin (new)

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) oh oh. It is all coming together pretty nicely. As soon as there were more flashbacks to Lachlan I had a some new suspicions.

message 46: by Kdbrand (new)

Kdbrand | 353 comments Just finished...wow!

message 47: by Robin (new)

Robin (Bridge Four) (fionafixit) I liked it too. I will say that the entire book was different than I expected and the only I was slightly disappointed in was the explanation of (view spoiler)

message 48: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1228 comments Robin wrote: "So just finished chapter 13 um...wow

I have a theory I'm pretty confident in at the moment and I'm just going to spoiler tag it here. I'll look at again when I'm finished, don't look unless you w..."I am on chapter 22 and that is basically what I was thinking. As the story goes on I see more and more that point to that theory.

message 49: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (tostyleandgrace) | 9 comments Finished, and my theory was correct!

message 50: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 560 comments I have a few chapters to go and my theory keeps changing. Can't wait to finish so I can "debrief" with you ladies

« previous 1 3 4