Hydra Publications discussion

New to Social Media? > Social media for authors

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tasha (last edited Jun 11, 2013 07:50AM) (new)

Tasha Turner (tashaturner) | 30 comments I suggested to Dianne that we set up a separate area to discuss social media/promoting yourself/books so that I'd stop hijacking threads.

There is so much to learn both technical stuff as well as concepts. I do coach for a living but I also like to help newbie authors out in general.

Here is where to ask questions or check in to see what you can learn to promote yourself/your books better.

message 2: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Turner (tashaturner) | 30 comments So can all of you tell me how much experience you have on Goodreads?

How long have you been on GR?

Do you post reviews?

Are you a member of groups?

Have you claimed your author profile?

Are all your books and editions showing up on your author profile?

If you have a blog have you set it up to feed into GR?

Is everything above sounding like Greek and scaring you?

message 3: by Tony (new)

Tony Acree (tonyacree) | 10 comments I've been on about a year, I post reviews, am a member of several groups, claimed my author profile, post to my blog and I feel no fear when a keyboard is near. (see, I rhymed, cute eh?)

message 4: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Turner (tashaturner) | 30 comments Looks like you are in pretty good shape Tony.

All you need to do is add the kindle version (& ebook if for sale on more than Amazon). To do this go to your book, click other editions button upper right, click green text "add other editions" upper right, use the ASIN #, fill in data, save, then go to http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1... and ask the librarians to combine editions, let them know the cover & descriptions are the same... They usually combine within 24 hours... Remember to thank them. There is no way for you to combine editions but by adding new addition the process goes a bit smoother.

You may also want to review the metadata for your book and beef it up to improve searches and SEO. To do this: go to book, under description and publication information is little grey text "edit data", you'll be asked some questions and then I think it moves on to another screen. I've only done this once helping someone so I know you get questions but not exactly what happens after that.

message 5: by Dianne (new)

Dianne (dlgardner) | 40 comments Mod
Wow, Tasha, that is cool. It's way late right now, and I think Kriss Morton fixed my books so all the editions are there but I'll check back by in the morning to make sure.

message 6: by Tony (new)

Tony Acree (tonyacree) | 10 comments Tasha wrote: "Looks like you are in pretty good shape Tony.

All you need to do is add the kindle version (& ebook if for sale on more than Amazon). To do this go to your book, click other editions button upper..."

My thanks for the suggtestions, Tasha!

message 7: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Turner (tashaturner) | 30 comments I hope more Hydra authors will join us. It's so important to get this stuff right to get book sales.

message 8: by Dianne (new)

I agree, Tasha! We're working on it!

message 9: by Dianne (new)

Tasha, can you explain what the value of combining the editions is? Also, there's an option that says "combine editions" and a menu that comes up to check the editions I want to combine. Do I need to do something else?

message 10: by Dianne (new)

Now that I combined all my editions I can answer yes except to the last question. Good, RS!

message 11: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Turner (tashaturner) | 30 comments If combine editions works Dianne then yay they've finally fixed it! That didn't work for me a couple months ago when I last tried to use it.

The advantage to having them combined is that when I'm looking at your book I can see if its available in a format I want. My house has over 5k in paper books so we rarely buy anything but ebooks. If I'm sent directly to a book link and all I see is paper I might not go through the effort to see if its available for my kindle app. Or vice versa if I'm a paper book person and all I see is an ebook I'm likely to walk/click away.

Buyers are lazy. They also make quick assumptions. The more information you give them and the easier you make it to buy a book in their preferred format the more likely they are to make an impulse buy. They want to know at a quick glance if the book is available in their preferred format (paper or whatever ereader they are using).

This also makes sure all reviews for the book show up together for all editions. If the editions are not combined you might have 10 reviews for the paperback, 100 reviews for the kindle version, 20 reviews for the ebook. If the books are combined you'd have 130 reviews for the book.

Did that help?

message 12: by Dianne (new)

Yes it did! I do know that the less 'looking' anyone has to do online the better for both the reader and the author. I just now found out where the 'other editions' shows up here. This is great. I knew I wasn't getting the full advantage out of Goodreads. I wonder how many more secret panels are concealed behind these walls!

message 13: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Turner (tashaturner) | 30 comments R.S. wrote: "Yes to all those questions."

Your author page looks really good. Looks like you've joined a few groups but aren't participating much. If possible try to read the books of the month or find some other threads to participate on so members see you as a reader and active member not a drive-by promoter.

The only suggestion I might make to improve your author profile is to add a few quotes. If you think you have any particularly good lines in your books add them as quotes. You can check out my profile to see some examples from my not yet finished book... I've had it suggested that I warn people not to have anything in their mouths while reading my vamp quotes... http://www.goodreads.com/author/quote...

message 14: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Turner (tashaturner) | 30 comments Dianne wrote: "Yes it did! I do know that the less 'looking' anyone has to do online the better for both the reader and the author. I just now found out where the 'other editions' shows up here. This is great. I ..."

My biggest problem is that I know there are things that can be done but because I don't have any published books yet I don't know how to do things. GR help does work sometimes.

On the author page, if you have series, adding the series sections and including series order really helps readers. I live by this feature to help make sure I'm reading series in order.

Metadata is another underused feature that I can tell you is important but can't tell you anything beyond hit edit data when looking at the book, go through all the questions, and fill in as much info as you can. Some of the data helps search engines and some of it helps readers.