Bookworm Buddies discussion

The Stand
This topic is about The Stand
Buddy Reads > The Stand

Comments Showing 1-50 of 152 (152 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

Victor Who would like to read The Stand with me? I'd like to read sometime in July, but if anyone wants to read it at a different date I'm fine with it:)

GeneralTHC I might be interested in a re-read. IIRC, Janie's been wanting to re-read this as well. How fast are you wanting to read it, Victor?

Victor Sometime in July. If you meant how long I want to spend time reading it I'd say about roughly one week for the three books in The Stand.

Victor *roughly one week for each book:)

message 5: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janie Johnson | 13984 comments Mod
Yea I would like to get in on this. It has been a long time since I have read this, and I mean a lonnnnnng time. I have several reads coming up, but always willing to throw in another.

message 6: by Lee (new) - added it

Lee (leeshirk) | 556 comments I have not yet read The Stand - it is on my list - so I am up for it!

Victor When would you like to read it Janie? I was thinking first week in July. I know June is pretty packed for you and it's pretty full for me, too.

message 8: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yay Lee, I think we both have been wanting to get to this one for awhile.

message 9: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hey Victor how about like the 2nd week of July?

Victor Okay again:)

Rachel the stand was the first king book I ever read and that was a very long time ago- it's a great book- hope you enjoy it

message 12: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

LOL Victor sorry, I thought here would be good to post it as well for everyone involved.

Diane | 31 comments I read this about fifteen years ago and liked it. It was republished with about 200+ pages that were not in the earlier printing and I decided to do a re-read. I have been working on this for weeks. I still have 300 pages left and am trying real hard to get through it.

message 14: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

Are you enjoying it Diane?

Diane | 31 comments Not as much as I did the first time. I am thinking the additional pages in this edition are adding nothing to the story
I am anxious to see what you all think because sometimes I am just let down when I read something a second time.

message 16: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

It can go ways for me. Most of the time though I really enjoy to reread because things become more clear than the first time.

message 17: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin | 2695 comments I thoroughly enjoy re-reads because there's almost always those little details that you forget, or completely miss the first time around. As much as I loved it the first time, I found my re-read of the unabridged version to be very rewarding!

Diane | 31 comments I would like to be invited to the discussion when you do the buddy reads discussion.

message 19: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree Dustin, more times than not I enjoy my rereads. I tend to forget past books easily so it is always great for me to revisit a book of the past.

Diane the discussion will be right here in this thread.

message 20: by Julia (new) - added it

Julia Ce (juliace) I have not yet read The Stand. I've tried several times, but everytime I start it - I get a cold and wind up putting the book down until a later date.

I would love to read this, but am going to pass this time around as I have a couple of other reads for July and don't want to spread myself too thin.

Cheryl Hall | 516 comments I love this book!

My favourite King work.

However I have a lot of books to read as it is, so I'll pass on a re-read, I'd love to discuss it with you all though.

Enjoy it!

Bojana (bpop) + 1

message 23: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin | 2695 comments Julia wrote: "I have not yet read The Stand. I've tried several times, but everytime I start it - I get a cold and wind up putting the book down until a later date.

I would love to read this, but am going to..."

A cold while trying to read The Stand! Oh no, how horrible!!!

message 24: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin | 2695 comments Janie wrote: "I agree Dustin, more times than not I enjoy my rereads. I tend to forget past books easily so it is always great for me to revisit a book of the past.

Diane the discussion will be right here in th..."

:)

Michelle (shelld79) | 92 comments I'd love to join in on reading this but I'm currently trying to get through Under the Dome and The Passage so don't think I could go another huge chunker again so soon.
I think some small light reads will be in the cards for me after I finish these ones for a little while to give my poor brain a rest....

message 26: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments I've read this book a few times. I would join in. But was in a group read for The Stand a year ago. I will read everyone's comment to see how everyone likes it.

message 27: by Julia (new) - added it

Julia Ce (juliace) Dustin wrote: "Julia wrote: "I have not yet read The Stand. I've tried several times, but everytime I start it - I get a cold and wind up putting the book down until a later date.

I would love to read this, b.but am going to..."

A cold while trying to read The Stand! Oh no, how horrible!!!.."

Everyone I know who has read this book has nothing but good things to say about it, so it's frustrating b/c I really do want to read it.

message 28: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (last edited Jun 14, 2013 04:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

No pressure Julia....hehehe

message 29: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin | 2695 comments Julia wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Julia wrote: "I have not yet read The Stand. I've tried several times, but everytime I start it - I get a cold and wind up putting the book down until a later date.

I would love ..."

Well you can only try your hardest to read it, Julia. I just hope that it doesn't become like a chore to you, because that's never any fun!

message 30: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yea I agree with that Dustin. Reading something that you struggle with never makes for a good read.

message 31: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin | 2695 comments Janie wrote: "Yea I agree with that Dustin. Reading something that you struggle with never makes for a good read."

Exactly!

message 32: by Sean (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sean Brennan | 183 comments I could never get into Lord of the Rings, no matter how many times I've tried.

message 33: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sean I know I could probably not read LOTR myself, but as I was just talking to Dustin about, I am trying to experience different genres of books. I can probably read light fantasy lol but I think LOTR is hard core fantasy that I would struggle with.

message 34: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin | 2695 comments I don't view The Lord of the Rings as being all hardcore fantasy, actually. It's a classic, no doubt, but it's quite simply, IMO.

message 35: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly | 2971 comments I'd be up for this. I was planning on doing a re-read of it sometime soon. I'm excited!!

message 36: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin | 2695 comments Janie wrote: "Sean I know I could probably not read LOTR myself, but as I was just talking to Dustin about, I am trying to experience different genres of books. I can probably read light fantasy lol but I think ..."

Janie- you probably didn't see it, but I responded to our discussion regarding branching out to different genres.:)

message 37: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin | 2695 comments Holly wrote: "I'd be up for this. I was planning on doing a re-read of it sometime soon. I'm excited!!"

This would be a fantastic re-read for you, Holly, and the perfect opportunity, too!

message 38: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (last edited Jun 22, 2013 05:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

LOL You are right Dustin, I didn't see it, but I will go look. Thanks for letting me know.

Holly that would be awesome to have you join us on this read! I am really looking forward to it.

message 39: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (last edited Jun 22, 2013 05:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dustin wrote: "I don't view The Lord of the Rings as being all hardcore fantasy, actually. It's a classic, no doubt, but it's quite simply, IMO."

Let me better rephrase that lol. I think it has far more fantasy than I could handle. Like in comparison to Black. Black I could take because there was a mix of present day and past. I don't know how better to explain what I am trying to say.

message 40: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dustin which review was it that our discussion was going on? LOL I can't remember and of course there was no notification.

Summer (paradisecity) I've read The Stand several times and I've been listening to the audiobook for a while now. The audiobook is harder to read steadily, in part because the narrator isn't great. And as much as I love this book, I think it's harder to get through the older I get because the horror of it all somehow feels more intense.

message 42: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin | 2695 comments Janie wrote: "Dustin which review was it that our discussion was going on? LOL I can't remember and of course there was no notification."

Yeah, I figured you weren't notified.. Here's the link:

http://www.goodreads.com/user_status/...

Bojana (bpop) Ok, so... when are we starting? :)

message 44: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly | 2971 comments I'm planning on joining Janie! I'm looking forward to it too. It's been awhile since I read this one. When are we starting?

message 45: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

I think we are starting this around the middle of July. Around the 20th.

Holly I am glad to hear you will be joining us. This will be fun. I am looking forward to reading this again, it has been awhile.

Squire (srboone) | 503 comments Is this the 1978 or 1990 version?

message 47: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

I m reading the Complete and Uncut version. (1990) I guess everyone can choose which edition they wanna read.

Victor I thought you said we were starting it second week of July, Janie?

message 49: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

LOL Victor you are right, I am thinking of another read I have planned with someone else. I think I have too many planned for July. So Yes the 2nd week of July. I guess I could have looked at this thread and figured that out.

Victor Haha okay Janie:)

« previous 1 3 4