City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Bones discussion

Do you have to be a Muslim in order to enjoy these books?

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 10, 2013 01:25PM) (new)

There were several Quran references that I didn't understand, so can someone please explain?

Thanks.

Britney Dillon I think you must have misunderstood some references. This book is not about Islam in any way, shape, or form.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 10, 2013 01:31PM) (new)

Britney wrote: "I think you must have misunderstood some references. This book is not about Islam in any way, shape, or form."

Then why are there several quotes out of the Hadiths inside of it?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

The Bible is a Muslim book too.

Britney Dillon Yes, but there are distinctive "Christian" contexts in which the Bible is used, and distinctive "Muslim" contexts in which the Bible is used. And though there may be references to the Q'uran in the series, the books are not written from an Islamic perspective, or with Islamic tradition in the foreground.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 10, 2013 01:39PM) (new)

Britney wrote: "Yes, but there are distinctive "Christian" contexts in which the Bible is used, and distinctive "Muslim" contexts in which the Bible is used. And though there may be references to the Q'uran in th..."

Define "Christian perspective."
This novel definitely had Islamic undertones.

Muslims believe in Peace - Shadowhunters keep peace.
Muslims believe in God - Shadowhunters believe in God.
Muslims believe in tradition - Shadowhunters believe in tradition.
Muslims give to the poor/weak - Shadowhunters protect the weak.
Muslims are required to venture to Mecca - Shadowhunters are required to venture to their Shadowhunter city.

Coincidence, I think not!

Britney Dillon I suppose you can read into it whatever you want to be there.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Britney wrote: "I suppose you can read into it whatever you want to be there."

I think you are ignoring Ms. Cassie Clare's true intentions.

message 9: by Sam (last edited Jun 10, 2013 01:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam No offense but it sounds like you are pushing something that is not necessarily meant to be. Cassandra in no way has stated anything dealing with the Islamic religion.

~Many religions, not just the Muslims believe in Peace. I believe Buddhism and Hinduism are among the top of peaceful religions.
~Christians, Jews, and Muslims alike believe in a God, as I'm sure many other religions do.
~Same with the traditions --> Christians and Jews especially. I can name you several of them if you would like.
~Anyone with a good soul gives to the poor. Even Atheists.
~Many Christians and Jews dream of venturing to the Holy Land - Jerusalem. Other religions have practices similar.

Your Comment to Britney shows ignorance. Literature can be interpreted differently to each person and you are pushing your own interpretations on her. Believe what you would like; doesn't mean it is right. For all you know, Cassandra could have designed this all on her own 'religion' for the shadow hunters.

Until you get Cassandra to specifically say that this series is based of the Islamic religion, don't make such blunt comments, please.

Wren ☢ Catherine ☯ the Psychotic Comedian wrote: "Britney wrote: "Yes, but there are distinctive "Christian" contexts in which the Bible is used, and distinctive "Muslim" contexts in which the Bible is used. And though there may be references to ..."

Lots of a non Muslim people have those great traits.
Christians believe in god peace and tradition, they give to the poor and week, and they are required to journey through life in these ways.

I dont think the author meant anything but to make her characters good people.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 10, 2013 02:58PM) (new)

Sam wrote: "No offense but it sounds like you are pushing something that is not necessarily meant to be. Cassandra in no way has stated anything dealing with the Islamic religion.
~Many religions, not just ..."

Well, here's my rebuttal:

~ Islam is the most peaceful religion that has ever existed. 96.2% of all people in Japan are Buddhist and Japan is the sole cause of WWI and WWII. But there have never been any wars in Saudi Arabia.
~ There is only One God, so believing in anything other than it is irrelevant and therefore demon-worship.
~ Well, no one adheres to traditions as strongly as Muslims do.
~ Atheists have no souls, so they can't in any way be considered "good" or "acceptable."
~ You're just nitpicking.

Britney Dillon Re:There were several Quran references that I didn't understand, so can someone please explain?

You read the books, right? And you seem to consider yourself an Islamic and religious "expert." Yet you didn't understand the Q'uran references. Obviously you don't have to be Muslim to read the books.

message 13: by Sam (last edited Jun 10, 2013 03:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam ☢ Catherine ☯ the Psychotic Comedian wrote: "Sam wrote: "No offense but it sounds like you are pushing something that is not necessarily meant to be. Cassandra in no way has stated anything dealing with the Islamic religion.
~Many religions,..."

You are quite simply very bigoted. I mean this in no offense but are you Muslim? Why are you so deadset to defend something that isn't proven?

The Islamic religion has been in just as much warfare. They had the crusades and today you hear of their hatred toward the Jews and Christians. What peaceful religion burns other holy relics from different religions? And also, I believe the Islamic religion is famous for how they treat their women, including stoning and honor killing. That in no way is peaceful. While I do believe some Muslims may be peaceful, there are also some that are terrible, just like any other religion/race/ethnicity.

There are many pathways to God. Some believe that Christians and Jews have the same God as Muslims, only by calling Him a different name. Unless you have met God and have proof, your argument seems irrelevant.

Just like before, this is opinion based. Who are you to say that they are anymore devout to their religion then another? There are different levels of spiritualism. The Jews have the Hasidic and they are very devout; there are also non-practicing Jews. Christians have those who devout no matter what sect; there are also non-practicing Christians. Are you saying there is no such thing as a non-practicing Muslims? That all of them are perfect saints in their religion?

Again, who are you to decide this? I doubt you are God and that you know anything about a person's soul. If you believe in a loving God, anything is possible. I'd hate to believe you are one of those people that believe your views are right and everyone else is wrong but your arguments are offensive and downright ignorant.

While I might be nitpicking at your unstable comments, I also have an open mind - something you seem not to have if you believe everything you just said.

Avalon ☢ Catherine ☯ the Psychotic Comedian wrote: "Britney wrote: "Yes, but there are distinctive "Christian" contexts in which the Bible is used, and distinctive "Muslim" contexts in which the Bible is used. And though there may be references to ..."

description

Until Cassandra Clare walks up on a podium and broadcasts it on TV that Shadowhunters are based you Islams, this book is just another bloody fantasy romance novel. Like really, how smart do you think this woman is if she's going to have a run-of-the-mill plot?

Avalon ☢ Catherine ☯ the Psychotic Comedian wrote: "Muslims believe in Peace - Shadowhunters keep peace.
Muslims believe in God - Shadowhunters believe in God.
Muslims believe in tradition - Shadowhunters believe in tradition.
Muslims give to the poor/weak - Shadowhunters protect the weak.
Muslims are required to venture to Mecca - Shadowhunters are required to venture to their Shadowhunter city."

Statement 1- Everyone with an idealistic view of society believes in peace.
Statement 2- Plenty of people are sticklers for tradition. Look a few hundred years back and all European marriages were kept within social classes, and don't you dare tell me they were all secretly Muslim.
Statement 3- What and only Muslims do that? Do Catholics, Christians, and the like steal candy from babies then?
Statement 4- It's not as much of a religious city as much as the capital of a country. I'm sure not every Shadowhunter goes there.

Samantha The Escapist Guuuys stop making it so easy for Catherine to get your panties in a twist.

Hell, don't get me wrong it's been funny as hell watching her troll people but seriously...

Charlie This book is full of references to the Book of Revelations, a book of the bible. There's nothing about Islam in it.

message 18: by Somerandom (last edited Jun 11, 2013 05:16AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Somerandom ☢ Catherine ☯ the Psychotic Comedian wrote: "Sam wrote: "No offense but it sounds like you are pushing something that is not necessarily meant to be. Cassandra in no way has stated anything dealing with the Islamic religion.
~Many religions,..."

Okay firstly, Germany was the cause of WW11 by invading Poland. Hitler was well for a lack if a better word evil. He doesn't really represent any religion and neither do the Nazis. At least not the moderates lol.
Japan only brought USA into the war by attacking Pearl Harbour. Not peaceful but they were at war. Someone already mentioned the crusades and there were quite a few of those. Not to mention the recent Islamist who are using terror and violence. Now I refuse to think they represent all Muslims. But there are violent individuals in all religions and philosophies.

Secondly there are many pathways to the one God. A common saying in Hinduism is "God is one" meaning that as long as you are righteous and pious you can find God. It does not matter what name you decide to bestow upon Him or how you interperate Him or how you worship Him you have found the one God. He is far too powerful to be tied down to just one interpretation/religion/belief system (or even gender!)

May I introduce you to Monks, Priests and Nuns good citezen? They follow their traditions strictly and are very pious.

Everyone has a soul. Don't Muslims believe that everone is a Muslim and just don't know it yet? How can they be without a soul if that was the case?

You are the one telling everyone that you personally know the intentions of an author without providing any evidence that you know said author personally. It's not nitpicking that's calling your bluff.

Now you are free to interpret the text as you see fit. Art is subjective and will mean different things to different people. No one is completely right but no one is wrong either. Look at Holy Books. Ask a thousand different Muslims what the texts in the Q'aran mean and you will get a thousand different answers. Same with Hindus or Christians ect.

I respect your religious beliefs mate, but I ask that you be a tad more respectful to others.

Aubrey B ☢ Catherine ☯ the Psychotic Comedian wrote: "Sam wrote: "No offense but it sounds like you are pushing something that is not necessarily meant to be. Cassandra in no way has stated anything dealing with the Islamic religion.
~Many religions,..."

This is beginning to sound like you're pressing a flame war. Or trolling.

Samantha The Escapist Aubrey wrote: "This is beginning to sound like you're pressing a flame war. Or trolling. "

ding ding ding ding ding

message 21: by Esra (new) - rated it 5 stars

Esra im a muslim but i dont think cassie put any islamic traits or other religious traits in the book i think she created a whole new religion just for her characters so it made there world look peace full and religious
but i dont think it is based on islam i think she did this so that her books would have alot of base line to it like
peace in a world with traitors and if that peace is broke then there is all out war in that world
so anyone who thinks this is about islam then they need to read the book again and get there heads straight and/or get evidence from cass clare
!!!!!!xxxxxxxx

Nore Em Dine Sam wrote: "☢ Catherine ☯ the Psychotic Comedian wrote: "Sam wrote: "No offense but it sounds like you are pushing something that is not necessarily meant to be. Cassandra in no way has stated anything dealing..."

i don't agree with in many things . islam is a religion of peace because did hear about a war started by muslims? When you said that muslims burns other rilics from different religions . can you gime a proof of that?.

ALSO .when you said that muslims hates jews and christians .what did you mean? If you mean in religious way , i don't think so because islam believes in being different from others. but if you mean people i'm with you .

won't you hate who kills you family and your friends?

message 23: by S. (new) - rated it 4 stars

S. LMFAOOOOOOOOOO!

AHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

OKAY :'D wow that was hilarious!
First off I am a Muslim and I KNOW that Cassandra Clare has DEFINITELY NOT used the book as a platform for Islam stuff.

Honestly, this is too funny to be true! lol

And WOAHHH THERE PEOPLE! Stop allowing this question make you guys start a war or fight or argument or whatever... it was probably a misunderstanding and now its over.
Thanks for the laugh though ;D

Shelby Ok seriously with this racial stuff. WHO CARES IF YOU ARE THAT SENSITIVE ABOUT MUSLIM OR WHATEVER RELIGION STUFF THERE IS. SHE DIDN'T WRITE A WHOLE BOOK JUST TO F*CK WITH YOU. I don't see the damn book in the religion section at the book store or online so shhhhhhhhuttttttttttttttttttt ittttttttttttt

Samantha The Escapist Sumaya wrote: "Honestly, this is too funny to be true! lol"

again, ding ding ding ding ding.

It's shocking how few people can identify an obvious joke post. Yourself included. This is not a misunderstanding, this is someone actively trying to mess with you guys and the fact that I'm now pointing this out for the third time and people are still coming back is remarkable.

People just love to fight online I guess.

Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ Nope, but I don't enjoy these books and I am a Muslim.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah, Cath. Long time, plenty of see.
So how's life under the bridge?

And for goodness sake, people- don't take this seriously! It's obviously sarcasm- just don't REPLY!

message 28: by Nurlely (last edited Jun 18, 2013 06:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nurlely Wow...I think you worked your charm really nice this time Catherine ☯ the Psychotic Comedian!
Maybe you are not as infamous as I thought you were, to be able to get readers who do not know what you love doing on Goodreads responded to your post. I wonder how they missed your outrageous name...

Ladies... Cath is a troll. Don't let her get into your nerves.

message 29: by Esra (new) - rated it 5 stars

Esra got it thanks:):):)!!!!!!!!!!!

Katie Mauger Come on people, really? I personally wouldn't care if the book was based on Islamic beliefs, but there is no way that anyone would actually get that out of it. This whole board is just trolling. It's fine if you want to debate about it, but don't get too worked up. Catherine's just having fun with you. :)

Rachel Um, no....

☾ Midnight Meets Moonlight ☽ WHAT YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND!!!!

Cassie is Jewish and there stories and beliefs are very close to Islam and Christianity. I know this because I am Muslim and have also read the Bible.

message 33: by Tess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tess House ☢ Catherine ☯ the Psychotic Comedian wrote: "Britney wrote: "Yes, but there are distinctive "Christian" contexts in which the Bible is used, and distinctive "Muslim" contexts in which the Bible is used. And though there may be references to ..."

If I remember correctly, it's been a while since I've read these books but shadow hunters are not identified by one religion but all religion. If they are in the middle east they are most likely to follow a religion from that land. If they are in the US there are plenty of religions to choose from (Catholic, Christian, Buddhism..etc) since america is a melting pot.

message 34: by Ash (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ash Am I missing something? I saw this thread and was like what?!? This cannot be a serious question, I do not understand why it is being debated. Honestly.

Maria Yaqoob i srry to say bt wtheck, yes there are references bt they are a minority in the book n most likely alot of the ppl who read this book undertood the book without a struggle tht arent muslim, or know .5 of the religon, although i do have some knowledge of the religon i do not major in it bt those barely affected me at all.

SHINY Ash wrote: "Am I missing something? I saw this thread and was like what?!? This cannot be a serious question, I do not understand why it is being debated. Honestly."

Finally, someone says exactly what I was thinking!

Nurlely Ash wrote: "Am I missing something? I saw this thread and was like what?!? This cannot be a serious question, I do not understand why it is being debated. Honestly."

You did not miss anything. Catherine is a troll and loves trolling books with many fans (HP, TMI and Twilight) to annoy the fans.

Responding to her with anger or sadness will only make her happy... ;)

Samantha The Escapist This is actually a great way to get a pretty decent answer to the "How many TMI posters actually read the whole thread before answering?" question.

Bonia I don't think so. I have a non-moslem friend and she like city of bones. We both enjoy the story so much

Saf Sam wrote: "No offense but it sounds like you are pushing something that is not necessarily meant to be. Cassandra in no way has stated anything dealing with the Islamic religion.

~Many religions, not just ..."

agreed agreed agreed!

message 41: by Mariana (last edited Jul 12, 2013 02:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mariana Both my sister and I are Catholic, and we enjoyed this series. Cassandra Clare didn't write it for any specific religion. Actually, I don't recall reading any Quran references throughout the series. What kind of question was that?

Juliana This is probably one of the more absurd tags i have seen. As in any book/tv show/ media with demons in it, yes, it references many religious books. but that is because many see these as true reference books for the most part (as do I as a catholic) and they are probably the only kind of aforementioned books discussing demons.

Silverina La Mees Just wanted to say that this is the strangest title/ thread I've ever seen in my life.
And what it has developed into is much stranger.
Just because there are some pieces of the Hadiths or something in it, then it wouldn't be that only Muslims would enjoy this (speaking as a Muslim myself)
And to tell you the truth. I can't even remember those references you're talking about.
So it's a truly strange piece of thread you've made here. And it caught my eyes like Woosh.

message 44: by Samantha The Escapist (last edited Sep 19, 2013 09:10AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Samantha The Escapist Oh goodness Nahla why did you necro a troll post?

She even deleted her account!

Silverina, it's the strangest title you've seen because the person who started it was intentionally trying to get a rise out of people. She deleted her account because she made so many troll posts that people caught on and it stopped being fun. However, I'd say she'd be delighted if she knew someone dug up this thread after it was finally almost done with.

Angela Samantha The Escapist wrote: "Oh goodness Nahla why did you necro a troll post?

Silverina, it's the strangest title you've seen because the person who started it was intentionally trying to get ..."

I'm pretty sure she will be back in a different account...

Samantha The Escapist Angela wrote: "Samantha The Escapist wrote: "Oh goodness Nahla why did you necro a troll post?

Silverina, it's the strangest title you've seen because the person who started it wa..."

Oh of course, as you can probably see it's way too easy to troll goodreaders. I hardly even blame her lol

Silverina La Mees Goodness ... and I stepped right into it. Tsk, tsk. xb