Read with Pride Northwest discussion

GRNW Meet-Up 2013 > GRNW Gives Back! The Gay City LGBT Library Donation Project

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Greetings, GRNW Meet-Uppers! We're happy to announce that the Seattle nonprofit Gay City and their Gay City LGBT Library are on board as partners for the Gay Romance Northwest Meet-Up in Seattle on Sept. 14!

Gay City is a wonderful nonprofit that promotes health programs, LGBT literary events, and even has a cool cafe. They also have a LGBT lending library with over 5,000 books!

Gay Romance Northwest Book Drive!

As part of the Gay Romance Northwest Meet-Up, we thought it would be fun to give back and help support those who provide such great resources for LGBT reading.

And so! We will be holding a book donation drive for Gay City's library. We welcome any LGBT reading donations, including any tasty gay romances you would like to give.

GRNW Authors: If you have any spare paperbacks of your books that you're not planning to use for a give-away or swag at the event, we'd love to have them as part of the book drive.

GRNW Readers: If you have any spare LGBT books at home that you're willing to part with, please bring them to the event!

GRNW Publishers: If you have also any spare LGBT books, either by GRNW authors or by other authors for your press, we'd love to have them for the library.

How to Donate: We will have a donation box for books at the event! So you can just drop them off there.

Buying and Donating: With the University Book Store, we'll be selling books by GRNW authors at the Meet-Up. If you'd like, you can also buy a book to donate to the Gay City Library. Every book is a gift.

For anyone mailing books: If you're a publisher, or if you're a generous out-of-state author or reader, you can also mail us books to donate, and we'll be happy to credit you at the event. All you have to do is PM me over GoodReads or email me at timmonsgray@yahoo.com and I'll give you an address to send the books too.

We'd love to amass a great pile of gay romance and other LGBT books for the library at the Meet-Up, so any help is Very Much Appreciated! :D

And thank you for supporting such a great cause and helping spread the love about gay romance!

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 126 comments Cool! I'll bring a copy of each of my books for the drive. :-)

message 3: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Anne wrote: "Cool! I'll bring a copy of each of my books for the drive. :-)"

That's wonderful, Anne! Thank you! :D

message 4: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
L.C. wrote: "This is wonderful! And just so happens I'm putting Long Tall Drink into print, with a shiny new cover and an extra chapter, so I'll definitely drop a copy in the box. :-)"

Ooooooooh, SHINY! Thank you, L.C.! That's rad! :D

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll bring one of each, too.

message 6: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Finn wrote: "I'll bring one of each, too."

Wow! Thank you, Finn! That's super awesome! :D (You guys are so great!)

message 7: by Mountie (new)

Mountie I can see their lending library going up a lot while we are there. :-) I might have a book or 2 kicking around.

message 8: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Mountie wrote: "I can see their lending library going up a lot while we are there. :-) I might have a book or 2 kicking around."

Yay! All LGBT contributions are very welcome! (And yeah, it would be cool if we dropped a bunch of books on them, especially from our authors. I just like the idea of their books being in the library circulation, spreading the love, one person at a time.) :D

message 9: by Tara (new)

Tara Spears | 55 comments Count me in too! I may have three books out by then and I can bring one of each.

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andreaspeed) | 49 comments Oh, I'll definitely be contributing to this too. Great idea!

message 11: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Yay! Thanks, Tara and Andrea! That's awesome!

message 12: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
We just got a big box of books donated by Chris from Stumbling Over Chaos for the LGBT Library book drive. Check out the goods!

Books!

message 13: by Anne (new)

Anne Tenino (annetenino) | 126 comments Awesome!

message 14: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Lou wrote: "I'll bring some stuff--will probably have more print books by then."

Thanks, Lou! That's super awesome!

message 15: by Lou (new)

Lou Sylvre | 11 comments This is such a wonderful idea! I definitely have a few books to contribute--minor contribution but every little bit helps. I can't wait to find out how much we gather up!
ttg wrote: "Greetings, GRNW Meet-Uppers! We're happy to announce that the Seattle nonprofit Gay City and their Gay City LGBT Library are on board as partners for the Gay Romance Northwest Meet-Up in Seattle on..."

message 16: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Lou wrote: "This is such a wonderful idea! I definitely have a few books to contribute--minor contribution but every little bit helps. I can't wait to find out how much we gather up!
ttg wrote: "Greetings, GR..."

Thanks, Lou! We appreciate every donation. Each is a real gift. :D (And I'm excited to see how many we gather too!)

message 17: by ttg (last edited Aug 21, 2013 09:54PM) (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
We just got another donation in for the Gay City LGBT book drive! This time from GRNW Sponsor Riptide Publishing. Thank you, Riptide!

Books!

message 18: by ttg (last edited Aug 23, 2013 06:31PM) (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Dreamspinner Press just sent in their donation of 20 (!!) books for the Gay City LGBT book drive! Thank you, DSP!

DSP Books!

We haven't even hit the Sept. 14 GRNW Meet-Up yet, and so far, we have gathered more than 40 books for the LGBT Library book drive! Thank you, everyone! All your contributions are helping a great cause!

message 19: by Jules (new)

Jules Lovestoread | 17 comments I've collected some $ from out of town FB family that I'll use to buy books at the event, and a couple of other friends are mailing in books. :) I'm going to post again next week, and hopefully get more dough! lol

message 20: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Jules wrote: "I've collected some $ from out of town FB family that I'll use to buy books at the event, and a couple of other friends are mailing in books. :) I'm going to post again next week, and hopefully get..."

Wow, Jules! That's awesome!

And we just got a special giveaway prize (more news to come about that later) that we'll award to a lucky book donor. So for every book donated during the conference or happy hour, you'll get a ticket and a chance to win. :D

message 21: by Jules (new)

Jules Lovestoread | 17 comments Oh! Fabulous!!

message 22: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
We just received a wonderful donation from Amy Lane for the Gay City LGBT Book Drive! Thank you, Amy!

Amy Lane Donation!

Big News

We have received some amazing giveaways for the GRNW Meet-Up, and we've decided to connect some of them to the book drive!

What that means is for *every book* donated during the conference and Happy Hour book fest, you'll receive a raffle ticket, and we'll do drawings throughout the event.

And prizes? They include two Kindle e-readers, donated by Amazon Publishing!

So, if you're coming to the Meet-Up, bring your LGBT books, pass them to a wonderful library, and have a chance to win!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I am going to have to move to Seattle just so I can go to the library. Please take a photo of the library shelf when they're all in circulation.

message 24: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Finn wrote: "I am going to have to move to Seattle just so I can go to the library. Please take a photo of the library shelf when they're all in circulation."

I know, right? They have a lot of older books, so I thin our additions will be scattered throughout the collection (but they're sure going to get a lot of recent gay romance titles!)

message 25: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) I've never owned an actual m/m book so I can just buy some there and donate them right?

message 26: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Shannon wrote: "I've never owned an actual m/m book so I can just buy some there and donate them right?"

Oh, yes. The University Book Store will have a table full of books by all the authors. :D So, there are lots of donation possibilities.

message 27: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) ttg wrote: "Shannon wrote: "I've never owned an actual m/m book so I can just buy some there and donate them right?"

Oh, yes. The University Book Store will have a table full of books by all the authors. :D S..."

Whew! I was afraid I was going to have to go to the bookstore yelling "where's the man on man action?" with my kids trailing behind me mortified. I may do it anyway just for the entertainment factor. :P

message 28: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Shannon wrote: "ttg wrote: "Shannon wrote: "I've never owned an actual m/m book so I can just buy some there and donate them right?"

Oh, yes. The University Book Store will have a table full of books by all the a..."

Well, at least the University Book Store on Sept. 13 can meet your needs if you do happen to shout things out. :D

message 29: by ttg (last edited Sep 07, 2013 10:16AM) (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
We got two donations in that somehow completed each other (as if by fate!)

First, a donation from Jordan Castillo Price which includes the first three paperbacks in her Psycop series, as well as Magic Mansion and rare copies of Channeling Morpheus.

And then a donation by GRNW author Lou Harper which includes two of her books AND GhosTV, #4 in JCP’s Psycop series! Now we can donate every Psycop book that’s been published to date!

Thank you, JCP and Lou!

JCP_Harper Donation!

message 30: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
A big THANK YOU to author Sara Alva who donated a copy of her debut novel Social Skills, and to a fan of author N.R. Walker for donating the first two books in Walker's Blind Faith series. Thank you both for participating in our LGBT library book drive!

Alva_Walker_donation

message 31: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
The two Kindle Paperwhites, donated by Amazon Publishing, have arrived!

Kindles!

These are two of the prizes that will be given to a lucky book donor at the Meet-Up! For every book donated during the conference and happy hour, you will get a raffle ticket, and a chance to win some cool prizes (including a kindle!)

Thank you, Amazon Publishing!

message 32: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Heh! Thanks, Lou! I'll feel more organized if Saturday goes off with few hitches. :) (I had an anxiety dream the other night that I forgot all the table tents. Stressful!)

message 33: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
More book donations!

This first donation is from author Josh Lanyon. Thank you, Josh!

Lanyon_donation

The next donations came in from author Edmond Manning and H.B. Pattskyn. Thank you, Edmond and HB!

Manning_Pattskyn_donation

message 34: by Tara (new)

Tara Spears | 55 comments Lou wrote: "Ttg, have I told you how impressed I am with your organizational skills? Because I am. You're my hero."

Yep, mine too! Holy cow, how fabulously organized this has all been!

message 35: by Ginn (new)

Ginn Hale (ginnhale) | 39 comments ttg wrote: "Heh! Thanks, Lou! I'll feel more organized if Saturday goes off with few hitches. :) (I had an anxiety dream the other night that I forgot all the table tents. Stressful!)"

You're doing an amazing job!

message 36: by Jules (new)

Jules Lovestoread | 17 comments How do I post a pic here??? I want to post a pic of the donation I'm bringing tomorrow! :D *giddy dancing*

message 37: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Jules wrote: "How do I post a pic here??? I want to post a pic of the donation I'm bringing tomorrow! :D *giddy dancing*"

Hi, Jules. You can add a photo to GR. (You have a photo section related to your account.) Once it's up on GR (or anyplace else online), you can grab the link by right-clicking and "Copy image location".

After that, you can use some image html text to help link it. (At the top of the comment box, there's the "Some html is ok" option, and there's some code there for linking images.

message 38: by Jules (new)

Jules Lovestoread | 17 comments Oh Lord. @.@ Ok. Maybe I'll try later. lol Thanks!!

message 39: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Great news, everyone!

Through everyone's efforts and donations, both before and during the Meet-Up, the Gay City LGBT Library received 241 books as part of the GRNW book drive!

That's amazing! Thank you, everyone, for all your wonderful donations!

Gay City's library has now an awesome amount of love stories, thanks to you all! Thank you for sharing the love!

And here are some more donation photos. :D

These books were donated by the lovely people from Storm Moon Press, and also from GRNW author Morticia Knight. Thank you!!

SMP_Knight_donation

This donation comes in from author Kaje Harper. Thank you, Kaje!

Kaje Harper donation

And a "special guest" came in during that last donation "photo shoot". :)

Beans_donation

message 40: by Morticia (new)

Morticia Knight (authormorticiaknight) | 33 comments I like the special guest ;-)

message 41: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
Morticia wrote: "I like the special guest ;-)"

Yeah, he just couldn't pass up all that paper. :)

message 42: by sk (new)

sk B (dolceluna) | 10 comments Hello!

This may not be the post to ask this but, for those that have access to the King County Library system, did you know there are a few Gay Romance books available to borrow from the digital library?

They're a little hard to find so I was wondering if we could start a thread on this forum to keep track of the titles we find... I'm thinking the more borrows they get the more digital books may be purchased?

message 43: by ttg (new)

ttg | 571 comments Mod
sk wrote: "Hello!

This may not be the post to ask this but, for those that have access to the King County Library system, did you know there are a few Gay Romance books available to borrow from the digital l..."

Sure thing. I started two threads in our community section. One for Washington and one for Oregon.

Thanks for the suggestion!