Social Media 101 discussion

Social Media Sites > Pinterest 101

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Pinterest 101:

Pinterest is a beautiful way to feature photos, paintings, art work, and anything you consider artsy or worth sharing. It was designed for people to share and feature things they found pretty, funny, sexy, appealing, worth your time…I still does that, but it’s also a social media site being used to promote all kinds of things. I’ll include a short synopsis of what Pinterest offers. Don’t forget to link your account to other social media sites like Facebook and Twitter (mine for example http://pinterest.com/clswinney/boards/). From time to time, Pinterest finds itself being sued about copyright issues, but it remains strong and steadfast. Until someone really puts the screws to them, Pinterest will be a force to consider.

First, you need to create an account. Explore Pinterest by going to www.pinterest.com and consider creating an account. Once this is done, you can play with the settings for your Pinterest “boards.” Normally you have a “home” page, which features you, a small blurb about you, and a list of the “boards” you have created. The boards are featured very similar to how Google+ features what you do on Google+ on your home page. You will also be able to link other social media accounts, including your blogs, websites, Facebook, and Twitter. Most of this is done through the "setting function" that you can find when you hover over your name in the upper right hand corner. A drop down menu will open and you will see “settings.” Click on it and start customizing your home board.

Once you get the account set up, I have a few pointers:

A) First thing I would suggest you do is play with the “search” function for Pinterest to allow you to see the millions of amazing photos and other art that you can add to a board. This search area is located in the upper left hand corner of your main page screen. You can enter a term like, “cat,” or if you click on the three lines to the left of the search box, pre-designated categories will come up like sports, gifts, outdoors, etc. You’ll be adding these photos as “pins” to the boards you create.
B) When you sign up, Pinterest will prompt you to find friends and family to add as people you are “Following” on Pinterest. This is similar to “following” people on Twitter. Find them and add them so you can see their boards and keep connected to them.

C) Consider creating boards for things you are interested in. For example, I have a separate board for my book, Gray Ghost http://pinterest.com/clswinney/gray-g.... I’ll go into details on what the intent of my board is later. But, you can create boards that only you or friends can see, and you can create boards the public can see. You could create a board for, let’s say, cats. You name the board “Cats.” Then you use the search function and look for cats to “Pin” to the board. So, the next time you need a cat fix, you click on the board and there you go!!! Or you can share the pins with your friends or family 

D) Consider uploading your own photos so people can see what you are interested in! You do this in the upper right hand corner where you see your name (same spot you were at to change settings). You can “upload a pin” and add it to the Pinterest database for others to see and find when they search for whatever it is you just uploaded.

E) PROMOTING ON PINTEREST: Ok, so the nuts and bolts of the promotional aspect of Pinterest. I’m an author, so I’ll focus on promoting a book, but you can apply the same practices to anything you want to promote.

First create a board for the product you want to promote. Then, you can either upload photos from the book and add them as pins to the board, or you can search the internet for things that represent your book and add them as pins to the board. What you want to do it paint a picture with your board to entice the reader to purchase your book. Put your cover of the book on the board then add photos of things that go in line with the book. Beginning, middle, and end. The really good boards for books give little teasers about the plot, characters, things that happen, and even quotes from the book. You are trying to hook the reader. It’s like free advertising. Make it effective but not too much in their faces.

You can also add a link to your website or another location where someone may purchase your book or learn more about your book. By doing this tastefully, you can promote your work while the person looking at the board is enthralled with the amazing things you’ve pinned.

PINTEREST VOCABULARY:

"Pin"- When you “pin” something you are adding it to your board.

“Re-Pin”- when someone visits your boards and sees something they like, they can “Re-pin” it to their board.

“Board”- This is something you create and a place where your pins will be stored in one place making them easier to find.

"Like”- You can show support for something by “liking” it.

"Followers"- These are people who like your boards or profile so they “follow” you. When you pin something, they are alerted to the fact that you did so.

"Following”- These are people you follow that you find interesting (or for any reason).

“Notifications”- Next to your name will be a red button with two push-pins. When someone associated to your account does something, you will be notified here. Click on it and see what it going on with friends, family, and followers.

This is just a small synopsis of what can be done on Pinterest. If you have questions or more to add to this discussion, PLEASE DO!

Thanks,

Chris http://pinterest.com/clswinney/boards/

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann Lee (goodreadscomannlee) | 21 comments Nice information Chris I tweeted your pinterest page and I will get an account and pin your pictures. Your book sounds interesting. I will check it out, right now I am on the is campaign

Thanks for the information

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Ann wrote: "Nice information Chris I tweeted your pinterest page and I will get an account and pin your pictures. Your book sounds interesting. I will check it out, right now I am on the is campaign

Thanks fo..."

Thanks! I'm sending your crowdfunding info around!! I hope your project is going well.

Chris

message 4: by Marja (new)

Marja McGraw (marja1) | 2 comments Chris wrote: "Pinterest 101:

Pinterest is a beautiful way to feature photos, paintings, art work, and anything you consider artsy or worth sharing. It was designed for people to share and feature things they..."

Chris, Thank you for sharing so much information. I've been kind of "lost" on some of the things I've joined.
Marja

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Marja! Thanks for commenting. I am trying to give people a resource to make sense of all the crazy social media sites. I hope you are well!

Chris

message 6: by Marja (new)

Marja McGraw (marja1) | 2 comments Chris wrote: "Hey Marja! Thanks for commenting. I am trying to give people a resource to make sense of all the crazy social media sites. I hope you are well!

Chris"

I'm good, and very appreciative of what you're doing. I'm not very techy, so everything you post is well-received. :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Philip wrote: "It is very kind of you Chris to share so much of your knowledge with us. I have found it all very helpful and quite honestly it has cleared the cobwebs for me in many areas. A VERY BIG THANK YOU."

A VERY BIG YOU ARE WELCOME!! Thans for checking out my little group and discussion board. If I can help you with anything please let me know. Have a great day!

Chris

message 8: by Riley (new)

Riley Banks (RileyBanks) | 6 comments Great tips. I've had Pinterest for a while now but I know I haven't even come close to utilising it to its full potential. For the moment, I've just been sharing my blog posts on it, but I hadn't even thought to create a book board with images I think illustrate my book.

Thanks for the tip. :) Off to update my boards.

message 9: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Furlong (nicolafurlong) Hey Chris,

Terrific little Pinterest primer, thanks. I've been building my boards for a few weeks. Am now trying to work in some 'how to garden' boards that will lead viewers into my website and books.

Would love your opinion. Originally, I had all the steps (say 'seed collection') in one board, but just recently realized that I maybe I should only have one enticing pin per how-to technique (say 'sweet pea seed collection'), with that pin linking to my website for the rest of the how-to demonstration. Does that make better pinning/marketing sense? My pin site is
http://www.pinterest.com/novelnicola/

Appreciate your input. Am enjoying your boards.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey!
Nice to meet you. I'd say you should only have one pin that leads you to your website. You want people to learn more about you and to go to your website to presumably purchase your work. That's what I'd do! Great idea.

Have a gray day!

Chris

message 11: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Furlong (nicolafurlong) Nice to meet you, too, Chris.

What do you think about having images with words/slogan on them (like produced using Pinstamatic) vs having the info only in the description below or doing both?

Nicola

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Must have photos or images. It will drive far more people to your site and social media spots!

Chris

message 13: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Furlong (nicolafurlong) Sorry, Chris, you misunderstood. Obviously, my description failed me.

I meant having photos with the words typed directly on them or having the words appear only in the description area below. In other words, does it ruin the image's beauty/impact by being marred/partially blocked by text?

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok got it. I would say you should not add anything to a photo, especially words. It takes away from the imagery and will put people off. Underneath or above or to the side of a photo to be creatice is fine.

Chris

message 15: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Furlong (nicolafurlong) Sounds sensible, thanks, Chris.

message 16: by Kat (new)

Kat (kat_soundz) | 2 comments Great article. I have a question that hopefully someone may know the answer to :) Is there a way to connect your Goodreads book list to Pinterest?

Thanks!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

You can't connect them, but you can create a board for your book covers and other books. Kind of frustrating, I know, but the two social media sites are not compatible in that matter yet...unless someone in the group knows otherwise :-)

message 18: by Kat (new)

Kat (kat_soundz) | 2 comments Thanks for your quick reply. That is frustrating. I did find that Goodreads has the pin button. You have to go to the specific book you want to add and on the right hand side of the screen you will find a share section and you can pin the book that way. It's just going to take a lot if time/effort to pin all my books, lol. Anyways, thanks again!