Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and Readers discussion

Audiobook Narrators?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adam (new)

Adam Bolander | 34 comments I've put my book The Slayer and the Sphinx on ACX.com in the hopes that I'll be able to find a narrator to turn it into an audiobook for me. Do any of you have experience in this? is there anybody you would recommend? Due to financial limitations, I cannot pay them by the hour, as it seems most of them want, but I am more than willing to split the royalties 50/50 with them. Any advice?

message 2: by J.J. (new)

J.J. DiBenedetto | 651 comments I've got a book being produced on ACX right now. My narrator is Heather Jane Hogan. I think she's fantastic.

But it depends on the book, do you want a male or female narrator, old, young voice, etc.

What I did was use their search criteria to narrow down to 20 or so narrators and then I listened to their samples and messaged the four or five I liked the best. Heather and one other replied to me, and Heather was the best fit, and she agreed to the royalty share, so off we went.

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue McGarvie (sue__mc) I'm looking for a job as a narrator and would be willing to split royalties. But right now it's impossible for me to send a sample as I have bronchitis. I could do it as soon as my voice goes back to normal. I must tell you I can imitate some accents too and speak spanish fluently. If you need this urgently, I can try help you find one adjusted to your needs.

message 4: by Miv (new)

Miv Evans (mivevans) | 29 comments Does anyone know the average rate per hour narrators charge?

message 5: by Adam (new)

Adam Bolander | 34 comments From what I've seen, they range from $100/hr to $300/hr.

message 6: by Sue (new)

Sue McGarvie (sue__mc) I've heard from $50 to $225 per hour.

message 7: by Miv (new)

Miv Evans (mivevans) | 29 comments Is there an average word narration per hour?

message 8: by Jodi (new)

Jodi McClure (jodi_mcclure) Brad Wills from ACX narrated one of my books and he was amazing. He accepts split royalties, was incredibly easy to work with and has a positively delicious voice! :)

message 9: by Adam (new)

Adam Bolander | 34 comments Kaitlin, I've considered doing it myself, but I can't. My voice is dull and monotonous. Would put people to sleep rather than entertaining them :P

message 10: by Jodi (new)

Jodi McClure (jodi_mcclure) Hi Kaitlin. It's very difficult to make an audio recording in your home without background noise seeping in. (Your air conditioner going on, a bird outside your window, etc) Most of these guys have studios they record in (or sound proofed set ups in their bathrooms.) If you're interested in doing them and believe you can do it well, it's probably worth the investment to get the proper equipment / set up, because audio books are selling quite well.

Indie Authors Monthly Magazine For Authors and...

unread topics | mark unread