Pulp Fiction discussion

Prolific Authors > John Evans/Howard Browne' s Paul Pine P.I.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Still (new)

Still (mantan) | 425 comments Thanks for these links, Alberto!
I have not quite finished The Taste Of Ashes but it has been such a pleasure rediscovering Browne's superbly rendered character P.I. Paul Pine of Chicago.
The writing is of such high calibre that it can only be compared with that of early Chandler.
I can't wait to re-read Halo Of Satan and the other -is it only 2?- entries in the Paul Pine series.

message 2: by David (new)

David Baldwin | 11 comments I notice at the Haffner Press site that they plan to issue volumes to cover all(!) of Fredric Brown's crime writings in chronological order (including the novels.) The first two volumes in the series are available for pre-order, at a rather princely $40 each. Still, the series should be of interest to fans of vintage crime, or at least the well-heeled ones.

message 3: by Still (last edited Jun 12, 2013 08:33PM) (new)

Still (mantan) | 425 comments I researched used copies of Halo In Brass last night since I have the other 3 Paul Pines.
Looks like I'm going to have to spring the $40 buck for the Haffner Press edition.

Can't get over the beautiful writing contained in "Ashes". I simply love that novel.

message 4: by Evangeline (new)

Evangeline Jennings (EvangelineJennings) | 19 comments Interesting. I never heard of Taste Of Ashes before. It's going on my list.

I do have another non-series Howard Browne called PORK CITY. I recommend that as well.

message 5: by Still (new)

Still (mantan) | 425 comments Alberto wrote: "Mantan wrote: "I researched used copies of Halo In Brass last night since I have the other 3 Paul Pines.
Looks like I'm going to have to spring the $40 buck for the Haffner Press edition."

Some mo..."

Have no idea why I didn't think of Abe.
Just purchased a copy on there of the Dennis McMillan reissue in trade paperback.
Probably overpaid... $13.65 but it comes with free shipping. Beats eBay.
Thanks for your help, Alberto!