Bookworm Buddies discussion

Hannibal (Hannibal Lecter, #3)
This topic is about Hannibal
Buddy Reads > Hannibal

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janie Johnson | 13984 comments Mod
Ok so Chris and I are reading installment #3 of the Lecter series, by Thomas Harris. We have been enjoying it immensely. If anyone would like to join us, or discuss this one, please feel free! Please mark spoilers though.

message 2: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

Evelda Drumgo is a scary you know what! I would hate to be confronted by her.

Dustin | 2695 comments I really hope you all enjoy this one more than I did..:)

message 4: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

Well the first 2 chapters were really good Dustin....lol

Chris (cbrunner11) | 1049 comments Janie wrote: "Evelda Drumgo is a scary you know what! I would hate to be confronted by her."

I agree, I really liked this little plot. It really showed Clarice's strength. It was tough for her to make the decisions she did.

So far a little slower than the last two but I haven't disliked anything yet. Wait till you meat one of Lector's early patients. That was creepy.

message 6: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

yea I have been reading between two books lol I am only up to pg. 50 in Hannibal.

Chris (cbrunner11) | 1049 comments I'm listening to it at work so I'm quite a bit further. There are some slow points, but more goes it seems. Not bad, but no Red Dragon.

Dustin | 2695 comments Janie wrote: "Well the first 2 chapters were really good Dustin....lol"

It started off well for me, but.. well...I won't say anymore..

message 9: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

LOL Dustin, I appreciate that! I am hopeful. It started great for me, and still is. We will see what happens. But you are right Chris, it is no Red Dragon.

message 10: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (last edited Jun 11, 2013 09:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapter 9 - Wow I really do NOT like Mason at all. Trying to figure out the purpose of (view spoiler)

Chris (cbrunner11) | 1049 comments I seem to have missed that. What chapter was that in. I want to go back and retread that. Mason is a jackass though but so is Pazzi. If you haven't met him yet you will.

message 12: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

It was Chapter 9 Chris. I feel as though I missed something maybe IDK. Maybe when Clarice was talking to his sister and she mention how he likes to watch the children via cameras. This happened with Franklin once Clarice left.

Chris (cbrunner11) | 1049 comments I'll re-read it tonight and see what I think. I skipped right over it. I remember him watching the children through the glass but not that.

message 14: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

How creepy would that be to go back to the Baltimore State Hospital now that is is shut down, windows barred and doors chained? I would not wanna return there after having my interviews with Lecter down in the dungeons for the criminally insane. Craziness!

message 15: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (last edited Jun 11, 2013 09:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris wrote: "I'll re-read it tonight and see what I think. I skipped right over it. I remember him watching the children through the glass but not that."

Yea it was just an odd part. I think he liked a lot more than watching them, I think he wants to terrify them. And his sister told her that he watched them this way because otherwise it would scare them, then I read this part with Franklin. Just kinda threw me off a bit.

Chris (cbrunner11) | 1049 comments Janie wrote: "How creepy would that be to go back to the Baltimore State Hospital now that is is shut down, windows barred and doors chained? I would not wanna return there after having my interviews with Lecter..."

I know, I loved that part. It was so very creepy and I was excited to see Sammy again. Poor guy still wanting to go with Jesus.

message 17: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (last edited Jun 11, 2013 10:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yea it was pretty intense. I just read all of that right after I posted about how creepy it would be lol. And yep, it was creepy man I felt it every step of the way. IDK Chris I am diggin this book a lot!

Chris (cbrunner11) | 1049 comments Me too, I think it is great. It will slow down a bit but I hear after the halfway point it picks up again.

message 19: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

Well so far so good for me. I may be able to handle a little drag to the book. Right now it is a pretty amazing read for me.

Chris (cbrunner11) | 1049 comments I agree the begining was what I have come to expect from Harris. The characters are powerful and well developed.

Now I just finished re-reading chapter 9. That part does seem pointless. My only guess/thoughts are Harris might be trying to show us an inherent evil of Mason. He isn't as innocent as he might seem. Even "saved" there is great evil in him still.

It may also be his way of lashing out becuase of what he was manipulated to do to himself. He feels he has to excercise power over another. I don't really see the purpose for this, but thinking like a writer these are what I would guess. Good point. I look forward to more discussion like this one.

message 21: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

End of Chapter 14 (view spoiler)

Chris (cbrunner11) | 1049 comments Absolutely Lecter is the stronger of the two. I saw the movie years ago and hardly remember it. I can't wait to see what happens when the two meet.

(view spoiler)

I am really enjoying this so far, not sure why so many didn't like this one.

message 23: by J.S. (new) - rated it 1 star

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 176 comments I agree with Dustin. It started out great, and then...

Let's just say a book has never made me as angry as this one did. Grrrrrrrrrr.

message 24: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris wrote: "Mason is a jackass though but so is Pazzi. If you haven't met him yet you will."

Just met Pazzi, but not sure yet why you refer to him as a jackass. He seems to be a Chief Investigator. Am I missing something or does he turn into a bad guy over time?

Chris (cbrunner11) | 1049 comments Give it time Janie, he seems to have a greedy side to him. I will leave it at that, it could have been just me though. I was having a rough day at work and was kind of pissed at everything.

J.S. I look forward to finishing this book and see what might have made you so angry. I love that we all can have such different opinions on things. Guess I will have to wait and see what I think later.

message 26: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ugh struggling through chapters 18 & 19.

Chris (cbrunner11) | 1049 comments Yeah, it gets a bit slow for awhile. Hang in there, it will pick up a bit at a time.

message 28: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (last edited Jun 12, 2013 07:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Is Pazzi using the term "The Monster of Florence" in reference to Lecter?

Chris (cbrunner11) | 1049 comments Yes, Florence has a serial killer but they don't know who it is so they have coined him "The Monster of Florence". Lecter is silently hiding while enjoying his old past time.

message 30: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

ok ty

message 31: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

I loved Chapter 21, so poetic!

Chris (cbrunner11) | 1049 comments I agree but it wasn't my favorite in the book. I did like how the Tattler refered to Clarice as the Angel of Death.

Anything to smear the FBI I suppose, it made me chuckle a little.

message 33: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

I find it rather creepy knowing Lecter can walk among the citizens and they not even realize it. What if he all of a sudden gets a taste for some human flesh? Without a doubt, if I knew a serial killer, a cannibal even, walked among the streets of the city I lived in, I would never go out.

Chris (cbrunner11) | 1049 comments I agree, but we know that this is one of the many talents of Dr Lecter. Remember in Red Dragon they said he made his way through several players of the symphony he was on the board of. Lecter is a truly terrifying character.

message 35: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (last edited Jun 13, 2013 10:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

He really is terrifying Chris. I did find it fascinating (view spoiler)

I am so enjoying this read with you Chris, thanks so much for reading along with me, it has been incredible fun! :)

Chris (cbrunner11) | 1049 comments Thanks Janie I am having a blast reading this with you as well. I told you Pazzi was a bit of a jackass (view spoiler)

I have liked the two different perspectives on this as well, but at first I found myself getting a bit lost and bored. I think for me this is where it dragged the most. Time wasn't advancing because we would find out what is going on with Pazzi, and then step back and see Clarice.

Dustin | 2695 comments Janie wrote: "LOL Dustin, I appreciate that! I am hopeful. It started great for me, and still is. We will see what happens. But you are right Chris, it is no Red Dragon."

Well you know me, Janie, I'd never want to spoil any story for anyone..:)

Dustin | 2695 comments Chris wrote: "Give it time Janie, he seems to have a greedy side to him. I will leave it at that, it could have been just me though. I was having a rough day at work and was kind of pissed at everything.

J.S. ..."

Yep, our differences of opinion and our ways of interpretation are some of the very best aspects of reading, IMO. Just wait until you guys get to the part that so angered and disgusted J.S. and I!! Worse yet, it isn't even believable!

message 39: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (last edited Jun 13, 2013 07:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris I actually loved the part that you thought dragged, I found it quite interesting. Now granted it was a little slower than the rest if the book, but I found it quite entertaining. I am not gonna lie though, it is more exciting having Clarice at the fore front with it. But you're right Pazzi is an ass. He should know better and handle things much differently.

Dustin you are always great with keeping the secrets of a story bottled up till it is time to tell. It is so appreciated too! I wish more people on GR were like that.

Chris (cbrunner11) | 1049 comments Well I'm so glad you liked it. I didn't dislike it but I have come to expect a faster pace from Harris when compared to the other two books. I'm enjoying this quite a bit an hope it continues.

message 41: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree with that Chris, he usually is much faster paced, well at least with the previous 2 books we read. I too am enjoying it.

message 42: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapter 36 (view spoiler)

Dustin | 2695 comments Janie wrote: "Chris I actually loved the part that you thought dragged, I found it quite interesting. Now granted it was a little slower than the rest if the book, but I found it quite entertaining. I am not gon..."

Well I try to be as considerate as I can, Janie. And if I simply must talk about something in a book, I hide them in spoilers. I agree, everyone should be more considerate!

Chris (cbrunner11) | 1049 comments Janie wrote: "Chapter 36 [spoilers removed]"

Yes he is and I don't feel bad for that character at all. He was (view spoiler)

message 45: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

They are all freaks Chris! LOL

message 46: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapter 52. (view spoiler)

Chris (cbrunner11) | 1049 comments Janie wrote: "Chapter 52. [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

It just gets better. I will finish it today I think and I am having a hard time stopping to do actual work.

Chris (cbrunner11) | 1049 comments Janie I just finished this and can't wait for you to get further. So much to potentially talk about. I really liked this.

Dustin, I think I can see what you might have had an issue with, but having seen the movie I was prepared for it. At the same time I was fascinated by the whole scene. It is horrifying and yet I was not able to stop reading. I really liked this book, I would be interested to hear your thoughts on it though.

message 49: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (last edited Jun 15, 2013 12:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris I wish I had read more this morning but I got busy with cleaning my house. I am ready to sit back and read some more now.

Chris (cbrunner11) | 1049 comments Cleaning the house does take priority so I understand. Keep me posted with your progress. Very excited.

« previous 1