Into the Forest discussion

Film/TV /Radio Adaptations > Merlin (TV show) - My TV Episode (Short) Review

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shereen (new)

Shereen Vedam | 143 comments Anyone follow the Merlin series and saw the final episode? I had a chance to catch up with all of Season 5 episodes recently and did a short review of the final episode (no spoilers):

Merlin, Season 5, Final Episode, Review

If you saw it, what did you think of the series ending?

message 2: by Gene (new)

Gene Phillips | 19 comments I liked it OK. I would have been pissed had Arthur not learned something of the truth behind Merlin in the end, but even so it was kind of "hurry up and let's get it done." I'm not sure if Arthur ever understood the whole "great king prophecy" motivation, but then, he was kind of thick anyway, so maybe he never would have under the best circumstances.

message 3: by Shereen (new)

Shereen Vedam | 143 comments I hear frustration in your tone, Gene. :)

I agree with you, though, that Arthur did not really ever "get" the "great king prophecy" concept. However, I put that down to him being very young in this version of this legend.

For me, part of Arthur's appeal was his apparent lack of self-importance. Even when he was bossing Merlin around, it was done more in fun than arrogance. That apparent lack of self-importance was my favorite part of his character and it showed in many of his relationships, from Merlin, to Guinevere and even with his knights and certainly as a source of conflict with his father.

Uther was certainly very aware of his position in life as ruler of his kingdom. But it was Arthur whom I found to be very appealing as a character.

message 4: by Gene (new)

Gene Phillips | 19 comments BTW, I thought I saw all the episodes, but for the life of me I can't remember who was Modred's father. I think I would remember if it had been Arthur, as in some of the legends. He certainly considered Morgana his sister, even though I think she was just a half-relation.

message 5: by Shereen (last edited Jun 12, 2013 05:14PM) (new)

Shereen Vedam | 143 comments I don't think they ever said. When he is first introduced, you hear about his master, but that's about it. The series must have been cancelled before they had a chance to go too deep into that story line.

I, too, found the relationship between him and Morgana interesting, which indirectly suggests/hints that Uther might have been his father. I've heard that some legends suggest that might have been the case.