An Advanced Victorian Steampunk Roleplay discussion

London Central > The Barracks

Comments Showing 1-50 of 329 (329 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh, The Supreme Overload (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) | 0 comments ((RP with approved characters ONLY.))

message 2: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (last edited Jul 06, 2013 02:29PM) (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Joeri approached the barracks, taking long strides. He was in full uniform, from the hat on top of his head to his shiny black boots. He made sure he was decked out in full uniform without any mistake, knowing full well that would affect his first impression on the officers waiting for him. He spoke to the man at the front desk who gave him directions to an office. Walking down the wooden hall, he felt a sense of trepidation. He hoped the strings Vivian pulled didn't affect him too much.

The men standing guard outside the doors opened it for him and he slipped inside. Clicking his boots, Joeri saluted and looked forward. "Lance-corporal Thomas Walker reporting, sir," he said in a clear, crisp voice.

A large man, who seemed like he was more a balloon than anything else, turned around. His uniform suggested he was high ranked and he still managed to stand poised, despite the fact that the buttons looked about to pop off. "At ease," he said, barely looking at him and giving a wave of his hand.

Surprised, Joeri went into a more looser stance, but still remained straight. "I'm reporting as the telegram had suggested, sir," he explained after a moment of pause and the heavy man hadn't spoken.

Putting on a pare of spectacles, the man held up a piece of paper and squinted. "Ah, yes, it seems you're right. Well, to get these matters over with quickly, I'll tell you why you're here," the man said, lowering his massive frame and impossibly managing to fit into his chair. "To begin, you are being reassigned. You are to leave the 93rd Regiment of Foot and become part of the 60th Regiment of Foot, also known as The King's Royal Rifle Corps. You're post will be here in London."

Joeri's eyes widened, but he remained silent as the man seemed to have more to say.

The man gave a wet cough and spat into a spittoon before continuing. "I believe you receive a notice that your leave will be shortened. However, it has been reinstated back to the three weeks on leave. It seems someone believes you are a hard working officer and after looking at your record, you have never spent a full time on leave," the man said, looking over his spectacles. His eyes were piggy and piercing, then he rose to his feet unsteadily. Looking past Joeri, he nodded to the men at the door. "You are dismissed."

After an exchange of salutes, Joeri left promptly. He almost couldn't contain himself, clenching and unclenching his fists in his excitement. He must tell Vivian the news.

*END OF SCENE*

message 3: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Vivian stared out of the window of the coach as it sped through the London streets from her townhouse to the Barracks. She traced the wooden frame of the window with one delicate robotic finger, her real hand clasping Joeri's across their laps as his machinated arm held her around the shoulders.

She turned her face into his shoulder, her fiery curls falling over her face. I'm going to miss you so much.

message 4: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Tilting his head to rest on hers, Joeri thought of how different this time reporting to the barracks was compared to times past. Every time, the men would joke, asking him why he didn't have a woman in his life and teased him. But this time it was different. He planted a kiss on top of her hair. "Before for you or I know it, I'll be back soon enough," he said, trying to reassure her.

message 5: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "I know," Vivian said quietly. She looked up at him and smiled bravely. "You'll be back home with me," she added, "though maybe by then I'll have a dog as well, to help keep me safe when you're on duty."

message 6: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments "A dog?" Joeri smiled. "I'll miss all the fun, playing with one, but I'm sure you'll gain a trusty companion."

message 7: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "Well, he'll be just as much yours as mine," Vivian said firmly.

The coach came to a halt outside the front gates of the Barracks.

message 8: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Pulling on his hat, Joeri stepped out of the coach and held out a hand for her. He was in his new uniform, a dark green, something new that he hadn't seen before.

message 9: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Vivian clasped his hand tightly as she exited the coach and she looked up at the gates.

"Am I...am I allowed to go into to the yard beyond?" she asked.

message 10: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Waiting for the coachman to take down his briefcase, Joeri stood there, holding her hand. "Yes. You can walk with me until I have to enter the main building," he answered, looking up at the intimidating structure.

message 11: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments She squeezed his hand and let go to take his elbow, like a proper lady does, and fell into step beside him as they walked through the gates.

Vivian had never been in such close vicinity to so many soldiers before. They were milling all around in the courtyard, and she saw several of them stop to take notice of her and Joeri. Then more of them stopped, and some of them seemed to stare at her. Unconsciously she tightened her grip on Joeri's arm.

message 12: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Joeri walked nonchalantly, looking straight ahead, his full height giving him a air of authority. When he noticed Vivian's nervousness, he glanced down to smile at her. "They probably have never seen someone as beautiful as you," he said in a low voice so he wouldn't be heard.

message 13: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Vivian smiled and leaned her head briefly on his shoulder before straightening up again. She was rather proud of Joeri, walking so straight and tall, with such an authoritative bearing.

"You do look good in green," she joked softly.

message 14: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He fought off his laugh, though he still managed to grin. "Odd how that turned out," Joeri commented. "But thank you for the compliment, my lady."

message 15: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Vivian smiled as they came to the stairs leading up to the main building. Then she sighed. This was it. Time to say goodbye, at least for a few months.

message 16: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Joeri turned to face her when out of the corner of his he spotted a familiar figure exiting the building above them. He glanced over to make sure he saw right, then he called out in disbelief, "Samuel? Samuel Piper?"

message 17: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "Thomas Walker, you scoundrel!"

Samuel Piper bound down the stairs, his arms outstretched. "What the hell are you doing here?" he exclaimed as they clasped each other's forearms and hugged.

Realising Walker wasn't alone, Samuel pulled away from Walker and cleared his throat.

"Pardon the language, Miss," he said with a slight bow.

Vivian stared up at him, not sure what to say. She looked at Joeri.

message 18: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Grinning, Joeri gestured towards his friend. "Vivian, this is Sameul Piper. My days in the hospital would have been lonely if it weren't for his chatter," he explained.

message 19: by Raina-J. (last edited Jul 06, 2013 06:07PM) (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "Pleased to meet you," Vivian said, dropping a curtsy.

Samuel bowed politely over Vivian's hand. "Milady, it is an honour and certainly the pleasure is all mine," he said. "And yes, this rascal here and I go all the way back to the aftermath of Merthyr. Quite a fighter, this one." He punched Joeri's shoulder lightly. Then he did a double take.

"Walker, you sly dog," he said. "Is this...why, she's too pretty to be a sister or cousin." He laughed.

message 20: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Joeri wanted to point out his statement was untrue, but kept it to himself. Instead he punched Samuel back, forgetting he was using his metal arm. "Don't be so surprised," Joeri said, laughing back.

message 21: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Samuel went back a few feet, cursing through this laughter. Vivian, still blushing from the compliment, bent her head to hide her smile. Samuel seemed nice.

"Well, you could've knocked me over with a feather," Sam said, "as that arm of yours is overkill." He turned to Vivian and gave her a grin. "Does he take good care of you, Miss Vivian?"

She nodded. "Oh, yes, very good care," she replied, looking up at Joeri adoringly.

message 22: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Looking into her eyes, he want to sweep her up and kiss her, but he fought the urge. "Do you even have to ask that question? You should ask if I take too much care," Joeri commented.

message 23: by Raina-J. (last edited Jul 06, 2013 06:32PM) (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Sam grinned. "I'll let you two say goodbye, then," he said, retreating a few paces, "but Walker, you'll be wanted inside soon so would you permit me the honour of walking Miss Vivian to the gate?"

message 24: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Joeri sighed and nodded his permission, turning to Vivian. His blue eyes searched hers, sincere and full of affection. "This is just a temporary farewell, Vivian," he said gently.

message 25: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "I know," she said. She clasped his hands in hers and gave them an encouraging squeeze. Looking up into his eyes, her own otherworldly green ones were full of love and devotion. "Write to me often," Vivian added, "and check the outside pocket of your luggage." She gave him a wink.

message 26: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He raised a brow, giving a questioning look and smiling. "I will," Joeri promised, raising her real hand to kiss the back.

message 27: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Vivian cursed propriety, but just gave him a loving smile in return.

"I will be the pattern of all patience; I will say nothing," she said quietly, "except of course that I love you, and will count the days until you're home."

message 28: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments "And I love you, Vivian. I'll return to your side swiftly," he replied, a mixture of sadness and adoration on his face as he gave her a small smile. The longing he felt grew stronger and Joeri decided to let all caution to the wind. In a swift motion, he bent to give her a quick kiss on the lips.

message 29: by Raina-J. (last edited Jul 06, 2013 06:59PM) (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments She kissed him back briefly, then pulled away and gave his hands a final squeeze.

As Joeri gave her one final bow and disappeared up the steps and inside, she turned to Samuel and gave him a smile. "Well, I guess I'm ready to go," Vivian said bravely.

Samuel offered her his arm and walked with her across the courtyard. "Don't you worry now, Miss," he assured her. "He's in good hands."

"I am quite happy indeed to see that he has an old friend here with him," Vivian admitted.

"And I am quite happy indeed to see that he has found himself some happiness at last," Samuel told her.

They arrived at the gate and Samuel walked her up to the waiting coach. "Now, then, Miss Vivian," he said as he helped her inside, "he'll be back home sooner than you'd think, so don't be too sad. Yours is a face for smiling, not for frowning."

Vivian laughed and blushed. "You are too kind, Mr Piper," she said. "Take care."

"You too, Miss Vivian," he told her, bowing one last time over her hand before shutting the carriage door and nodding to the driver.

Samuel made his way back into the Barracks, waiting for Walker to get through with all the business of checking in so they could get him settled in and do a proper catch-up.

***END OF SCENE***

message 30: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments After Joeri was assigned his room and given a tour of the barracks, he was finally set free. Wandering through the corridors, he found his way to an open room full of chairs and couches. Taking a seat by the window, he looked out over the inner courtyard where some soldiers were going through drills.

message 31: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "Ah, Thomas! There you are at last," Sam called out, shutting his book and getting up off his chair on the other side of the room. He made his way over.

"Why, I still can't believe you're here," he said with a grin. "I wrote to you from India to tell you I was on my way over, and when I never heard back from you, I feared the worst!"

message 32: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments He looked up at Sam and smiled apologetically, offering him to take the seat opposite. "I'm afraid I never received your letter and then I thought the worst. I suppose it was because how short notice my reassignment was," Joeri replied.

message 33: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "That is quite curious indeed," Sam remarked as he sat down. "So. How fortunate it is for you that you ended up here, so close to your lady." He winked.

message 34: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments "Indeed, fate has been kind to me," Joeri agreed, though he felt guilty to hide the fact his reassignment wasn't exactly an honest request. But he pushed the thought aside. "And what of you, Piper? Was this just an ordinary reassignment for you?"

message 35: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Samuel grinned. "In thanks for my service abroad, Her Majesty has appointed me to the Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment," he said sheepishly. "Awfully posh, pomp-and-circumstance kind of position - no more battle for me, I'm afraid." He sighed.

message 36: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments Joeri looked impressed and was glad for his friend. He knew the difficulties of gaining rank himself, his many years so far amounting to his current rank. He raised a brow at him and showed him his metal hand. "Be careful for what you wish for," Joeri reminded. "Posh sounds good, though. I'm sure you get many benefits."

message 37: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "Well, I get to be in London again, which is rather nice," Samuel admitted.

"So, then, Walker - how did you meet her?" he asked, his eyes twinkling.

message 38: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments "First day I arrived back in London. You remember that inn I always stay at? I happened to run into her there," he replied, smiling at the memory. It was the most fantastic turn of events.

message 39: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "Wow," Samuel said with an approving whistle. "So, what - she walked out of the crowd and into your life?"

message 40: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments "Basically," Joeri said with a nod. "I've been able to visit and talk with her over the past three weeks because my leave was reestablished to its original set time."

message 41: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "Fortune smiles upon you now, then," Samuel said, grinning.

message 42: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments "About time, too," he said with a laugh. Shaking his head, Joeri ran a hand through his hair, lifting his hat briefly. As he tugged it back on, he gestured to Samuel. "Any happen with you? Adventures and mishaps?"

message 43: by Raina-J. (last edited Jul 06, 2013 08:01PM) (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Samuel laughed and launched into the tale of how, while travelling back from India, their ship had run aground in a reef off the coast of South Africa; they'd ended up docking there, but because he would have been far too late and sending word was nearly useless, Samuel had ended up on an airship instead.

"I tell you, Walker, those things are not to be underestimated," Samuel remarked. "Incredibly fast, but leaning over the railing isn't as enjoyable as doing so on a regular water vessel. My God! It's just too high for my liking!"

message 44: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments "And here I thought I should try it sometime," Joeri laughed. "How do you always run into the most unfortunate circumstances?"

message 45: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "Probably because you're the fine upstanding gent, and I'm not," Sam laughed ruefully. "Ah, Thomas. It is good to see you - very good indeed."

message 46: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments "I as well, my friend. It has been too long since I've seen a familiar face," he replied, sincere. "Especially in one piece," Joeri added, half joking.

message 47: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments Samuel laughed so hard he thought he'd burst a seam. "Walker, that Vivian of yours has done wonders for you. Why, I remember a time when you couldn't even crack a smile," he said. "What's her surname? And does she have any sisters?" he asked roguishly.

message 48: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (last edited Jul 06, 2013 08:26PM) (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments "That's because you always happened to not be around," Joeri teased. "She's a a ward of Northby. And she has two sisters, I believe, though I'd warn you to stay away from them," he answered, leaning back slightly as he felt more relaxed.

message 49: by Raina-J. (new)

Raina-J. Confrey (jesfrey) | 6450 comments "Why, what on earth could be wrong with anyone related to a creature as charming as that?" Samuel wondered. "She must be quite magical indeed to have drawn you out of your shell."

message 50: by Ji Mei , The Meticulous Secretary (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 6855 comments "All you need to know is that her family is complicated," he replied. Joeri was sure Vivian wouldn't like him spilling out her family's problems and he knew it wasn't his business anyway.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7