SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

Monthly Nominations > September Fantasy Theme Nominations: High Magic

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 14, 2013 01:19PM) (new)

The voting has barely started for the September Fantasy theme and it's overwhelmingly going to High Magic.

For the Purposes of this poll, 'High Magic' is formal, ritualized magic with or without a religious element. The magic can focus on magical items or magic requiring specific physical object to perform - but doesn't have to. Think more along the lines of socerers and wizards than the djinn or Samantha Stevens and her mother. That still leaves the nominations pretty wide open. I'm not going to pre-veto any immensely popular series set in wizard schools ... even though I thought about it.

Remember our few rules:
1. They must be available as an ebook
2. One nomination and one seconding per person
3. No nominating your own book and
4. Mods can veto a nomination if they decide the book doesn't fit ... :-)

And, as always, authors selected in the past 12 months may not be nominated. For a list, you may check here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Nominated and Seconded
Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett
Illumination by Terry McGarry
The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett
Spellwright by Blake Charlton
Mazirian the Magician\The Dying Earth by Jack Vance
Sabriel by Garth Nix

Nominated
The Accidental Sorcerer by K.E. Mills
Magic's Pawn by Mercedes Lackey

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to open this with my favorite wizard story: Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett.

message 3: by John (last edited Jun 10, 2013 06:13AM) (new)

John | 6 comments I'd like to nominate The Accidental Sorcerer by K.E. Mills

message 4: by Vimes (new)

Vimes | 1 comments I recommend The Name of the Wind by Patick Rothfuss. I think it fits pretty well since it has a very interesting system of magic which is being depicted in high detail.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Vimes wrote: "I recommend The Name of the Wind by Patick Rothfuss. I think it fits pretty well since it has a very interesting system of magic which is being depicted in high detail."

The group read this book in December 2011.

message 6: by Christina (new)

Christina Vasilevski (cvasilevski) How about Sabriel by Garth Nix?

message 7: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 37 comments I will second Equal Rites.

message 8: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 42 comments Geoffrey wrote: "I'm going to open this with my favorite wizard story: Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett."

High magic really??

message 9: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 42 comments The Rithmatist.The Rithmatist
The Rithmatist (Rithmatist #1) by Brandon Sanderson

message 10: by Ale (new)

Ale (wasteofpaint) | 15 comments I second Sabriel.

message 11: by Charles (new)

Charles (nogdog) Bev wrote: "Geoffrey wrote: "I'm going to open this with my favorite wizard story: Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett."

High magic really??"

Magic doesn't get any higher on the Discworld than at The Unseen University, does it?

;-)

message 12: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 42 comments Charles wrote: "Bev wrote: "Geoffrey wrote: "I'm going to open this with my favorite wizard story: Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett."

High magic really??"

Magic doesn't get any higher on the Discworld than at The ..."

It just shows that the themes can be rather ambiguous or have different meanings to all. Dont get me wrong I like Pratchett but still.......

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 10, 2013 10:31AM) (new)

Oh, I"ll admit that Pratchett's wizards definitely practice the lowest form of high magic possible ... but they still use rituals and magic items .... :-D

My second choice was going to be Goodkind....

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Bev wrote: "The Rithmatist.The Rithmatist
The Rithmatist (Rithmatist #1) by Brandon Sanderson"

I thought about this one too .... but we're reading his The Way of Kings next month.

message 15: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 42 comments Geoffrey wrote: "Bev wrote: "The Rithmatist.The Rithmatist
The Rithmatist (Rithmatist #1) by Brandon Sanderson"

I thought about this one too .... but we're reading his The Way of Kings next month."

I just think that not many writers do magic better or more original than him.

message 16: by Craig (last edited Jun 10, 2013 11:10AM) (new)

Craig (craigl) | 7 comments Greg wrote: "Vimes wrote: "I recommend The Name of the Wind by Patick Rothfuss. I think it fits pretty well since it has a very interesting system of magic which is being depicted in high detail."

The group read this book in December 2011"

Could someone please clarify the nomination rules for me? I thought the cutoff was 12 months. December 2011 is significantly more than 12 months ago.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Craig,

The cut off is 12-months to repeat an author. So Patrick Rothfuss is eligible for a new nomination - but not that particular book. However, if you want to nominate book 2 of that series, The Wise Man's Fear, given that we've read book 1, that's a completely eligible book.

message 18: by Warneke (new)

Warneke Reading (Warneke_Reading) | 8 comments http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...
Illumination by Terry McGarry has a unique and detailed system of magic which is quite unlike most. Very interesting and good writing. Not sure it's in ebook form?

message 20: by Keith (new)

Keith The Warded Man?

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Peter wrote: "How about Magician's Law
Magician's Law (Tales of the Bard, Volume One) by Michael Scott
Michael Scott"

I'm not finding this as an ebook ....

message 22: by Peter (new)

Peter Geoffrey wrote: "Peter wrote: "How about Magician's Law
Magician's Law (Tales of the Bard, Volume One) by Michael Scott
Michael Scott"

I'm not finding this as an ebook ...."

Rats - never mind.

message 23: by Christine (new)

Christine (inhalesbookslikepopcorn) | 11 comments I would like to nominate Magic's Pawn Magic's Pawn (Valdemar Last Herald-Mage, #1) by Mercedes Lackey by Mercedes Lackey.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

message 25: by Charles (new)

Charles (nogdog) I'll second The Warded Man, as it appears to have decent reviews.

message 26: by Warneke (new)

Warneke Reading (Warneke_Reading) | 8 comments Warded Man is AMAZING & AWESOME and everyone who like fantasy should read it. But I'm not sure it's: "'High Magic' is formal, ritualized magic with or without a religious element". How the magic in this book works is unknown to its users. They do things because they have effect, but the knowledge of why and how has been lost and they struggle to reclaim that knowledge.

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 155 comments Spellwright

I haven't read it, but it comes highly recommended.
About a dyslexic wizard, who to make spells, needs to write them out. Would words be a tool though?

message 28: by Charles (new)

Charles (nogdog) Brenda ╰☆╮ wrote: "Spellwright

I haven't read it, but it comes highly recommended.
About a dyslexic wizard, who to make spells, needs to write them out. Would words be a tool though?"

To my mind: yes, if we're talking about the sort of thing where you have to say the exact right words in just the precisely correct way, or else something bad happens to you; then it seems to me like it could fit the bill.

message 29: by John (new)

John | 6 comments I'll second Spellwright, and I think you missed Ale seconding Sabriel

message 30: by Mejanel (new)

Mejanel Hello,
I'll second Spellwright too.

message 31: by Tim (new)

Tim Mann | 7 comments Hello, I would like to nominate The Broken Tomb (The War for Inìsfail, #2) by Kaiya Hart

message 32: by Carro (last edited Jun 13, 2013 06:41AM) (new)

Carro | 46 comments I'll second "The Accidental Sorcerer" - looks amusing.

@Tim - Your nomination seems to be the second book in the series - would you consider nominating the first book instead, for all those who've not yet encountered this series?

message 33: by Walt (last edited Jun 13, 2013 11:09AM) (new)

Walt O'Hara | 7 comments I nominate THE DYING EARTH, by Jack Vance. It's all about the magic. And a nice tribute to the recently departed author.

The Dying Earth by Jack Vance The Dying Earth

message 34: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 13, 2013 10:26PM) (new)

I'll second The Dying Earth, though if chosen I probably read the third book as I've already read the first two.

UPDATE: The Kindle version is called: Mazirian the Magician. It seems to have the same five stories, but in a different order.

http://www.amazon.com/Mazirian-Magici...

message 35: by Sal (new)

Sal | 1 comments I second Sabriel (although I'll second the Warded Man as well if I could...)

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

This is a good list. I'm going to open the poll now ...

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 155 comments Carro seconded The Accidental Sorcerer

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

good catch. I missed that. The poll is update as well.

message 40: by Goshi (new)

Goshi Martinez | 3 comments equal rites without discussion !!! xD