Modern Good Reads discussion

General Discussions > Greek Mythology suggestion

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vishal (last edited Jun 10, 2013 05:39AM) (new)

Vishal Mudgal | 10 comments Hi,

Actually I was planning to start on reading mythologies, every single one of 'em. So I thought to start with the most exquisite one, Greek Mythology (in my opinion only). I was looking for books to start with but now I'm a bit confused. Is there any chance if any of you great ppl out here will guide me from where to start reading, like which book to pick first? I don't know nothing about any mythology save Hindu.
Please guide me through.
Thanks.

message 2: by Vardan (new)

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 122 comments Hi Vishal, you should start from the works of Homer that will be a very good introduction to not only the Greek mythology but also the genre in general. Go with the Iliad and the Odyssey and from there on you will be proficient enough to find your way forward to discovering more gems of the genre in the Greek and also Roman mythology (which, by the way, share a lot of common aspects)

message 3: by Vishal (new)

Vishal Mudgal | 10 comments Thanks a lot Vardan. I will get the book asap. And while I'll be reading it, please also keep guiding me to more.

message 4: by Vardan (new)

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 122 comments Well, Vishal, when you are done with Greek mythology, I would suggest also trying out the Aztec and South American mythology as it holds many truly astounding stories.

message 5: by Vishal (new)

Vishal Mudgal | 10 comments I'd sure do that. Thank you for the help.

message 6: by Vardan (new)

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 122 comments you are welcome!

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Spake (ManofYesterday) | 14 comments Metamorphoses is also really good. Ovid was a Roman poet but in this book he re-introduces all the classic myths but gives them all a 'metamorphosis'.

message 8: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Rhoades (jackierhoades) | 14 comments Bullfinch's Mythologies would be the place I'd start if you're looking for a general introduction. Thomas Bullfinch's books were references no library would be without.

message 9: by Aeryn (new)

Aeryn Dougan | 11 comments I've got a picture-ish book from Scholastic by Mary Pope Osborne (titled "Favorite Greek Myths") that I really like for just your basic/popular myths. It's got some nice illustrations, too. They have one on Irish and Norse myths as well. Hope this helps!

message 10: by Elaine (new)

Elaine White I've always been fascinated with Medea and Other Plays by Euripides I had to read it for a college Critical Reading class and it left an impact.

Also, if you're looking for Contemporary fiction, based on Greek mythology, a friend of mine, who is Greek, has just had a novel released that she wrote with her son The Awakening of Agnostos by Jennifer Paquette Let us know how you get on. :)

message 11: by Vishal (new)

Vishal Mudgal | 10 comments Thank you Robert, Jacqueline, Aeryn, Elaine. It means a lot to me tha you took time for my request.

Right now I'm reading Iliad by Homer (thanks Vardan) but after that I'll sure read all the valuable reads you all b'ful ppl suggested.

Greetings & blessings :)

message 12: by Yelle, Moderator (new)

Yelle Hughes (goodreadscomyellehughes) | 204 comments Mod
Hi, Vishal. Here's a great book to start. While the Iliad and the Odyssey are great work, this book will give you a break down of who and what the gods are, their stories and their tragedies: Heroes, Gods and Monsters of the Greek Myths by Bernard Evslin

I read this when I was young and it opened my eyes to this great fantasy world.

message 13: by Silver (new)

Silver | 1 comments Has anyone read the series of books by Grossack and Underwood? It is based on Greek mythology, archaeology and history and includes Jocasta and Antigone & Creon. It has been recommended to me and I wondered if anyone has read them.

message 14: by J. (new)

J. | 22 comments If you end up liking Homer, and you like comics at all, Eric Shanower's Age of Bronze is the retelling of the story of the Trojan war (using not just Homer but lots of other sources, as well) in graphic novel form. They're really fantastic books.

message 15: by Vishal (new)

Vishal Mudgal | 10 comments Thanks a lot Yelle for the b'ful suggestion. I've downloading the book right now & with all the suggestion by Silver & J.
I mean sincerely it feels so good that I've so many wonderful ppl to guide.
Comics I'm definitely downloading next :)

And Silver I'm the guy who's going to read all these books. Sincerest thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it.

Stay blessed :)

message 16: by I.S. (last edited Nov 17, 2013 05:20PM) (new)

I.S. Anderson (Eman1272) | 3 comments I myself am an author that writes a series based on different mythologies of the world. Greek is a great place to start because it probably has the most abundant resources for research or just reading in general.

For learning about Greek mythology, I would recommend Mythology She did her research from really old sources and incorporates some Roman and Norse Mythology. Speaking of Norse mythology, I good one I read was The Norse Myths

If you want, check out my "research" shelf here