Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Canadian HF

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (readingwithmargaret) | 309 comments Being Canadian I am always on the lookout for some good Canadian HF. Anyone got any good recommendations?
I've read
Bride of New France by Suzanne Desrochers
The Birth House by Ami McKay
Perdita by Hilary Scharper

message 2: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 100 comments The Hippopotamus Marsh by Pauline Gedge
English Passengers by Matthew Kneale

Oh, wait. Are you asking for books set in Canada, or by Canadians? Or both?

message 3: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (readingwithmargaret) | 309 comments Actually set in Canada. But I didn't know Pauline Gedge was Canadian.

message 5: by Darcy (last edited Jun 10, 2013 06:23AM) (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 100 comments Will need to give this a think.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill set in multiple locations, including Nova Scotia (I was at uni with a young woman from Shelburne and she was proud of the mention in this book of the first ever race riot being held in her hometown).

message 6: by Chrissie (last edited Jun 10, 2013 06:48AM) (new)

Chrissie The Bird Artist, The Deptford Trilogy: Fifth Business, The Manticore, and World of Wonders and The Tricking of Freya (also in Iceland though) are three that I liked. Particularly the first by Norman set in Nova Scotia. Also the first of the trilogy entitled "The Fifth Business". I have reviews if you are interested.....

I do also recommend "The Book of Negroes", which Darcy named.

message 7: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 11 comments Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood Margaret Atwood is fantastic historical fiction and a really good mystery. I loved The Piano Man's Daughter by Timothy Findley, not least because it takes place in a neighbourhood in Toronto I lived in for several years.

message 8: by Marlana (new)

Marlana Williams (marlanawilliams) | 5 comments Since it's Canadian historical fiction, may I add my own book? It's my first published novel that will be out in a couple of weeks. It's a quick read about a Klondike prostitute. Doll of Dawson

message 9: by Cheryl A (new)

Cheryl A | 969 comments One of my favorites is Deafening - about a young woman growing up deaf in Canada during the early part of the 20th Century. Also covers WWI. Beautifully written.

I also enjoyed the historical mystery series by Maureen Jennings - Except the Dying is the first about a policeman in late Victorian era Toronto.

message 10: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (readingwithmargaret) | 309 comments Thank you for your wonderful recommendations. My tbr is growing again.

message 11: by Melanie (last edited Jun 11, 2013 07:41AM) (new)

Melanie (ladybugh) | 124 comments I second the Maureen Jennings books. I am reading Timothy Findley's The Wars and it is quite good. I also enjoyed Barbara Fradkin's Inspector Green series as they take place in Ottawa (but they aren't HF).

My next up for Canadian reads are the Barthomew Bandy books by Donald Jack starting with Three Cheers for Me: The Journals of Bartholomew Bandy, R.F.C. (1962 version).

message 13: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 11 comments Colony of Unrequited Dreams - I must add that to my list to read. And that reminds me, an excellent series about the settlement of Newfoundland is the Random Passage series by Bernice Morgan. (This was also made into a TV mini-series, which was what brought me to the books.)

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine Malec | 173 comments Cathy wrote: "Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood Margaret Atwood is fantastic historical fiction and a really good mystery. I loved The Piano Man's Daughter by Timothy Findley, not least because it takes place in a ..."

I recommend Moonlit Days and Nights by D. H. Tool. It's a hilarious romp through 1890's toronto with a rakish fellow determined to bluff his way into the good life. Here's a link to the Amazon page: I'm not sure if this is the way links are usually offered... http://www.amazon.com/Moonlit-Days-an...

message 15: by Gail (new)

Gail Amendt Guy Vanderhaeghe has written a really good trilogy set in the Wild West era. They kind of straddle the border between Montana, Alberta and Saskatchewan, as the settlers and natives sort of freely wandered back and forth across the border at that time, and are thus American and Canadian HF.

message 16: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 717 comments The Whiteoaks of Jalna series by Mazo de la Roche. The first one begins in Ireland, but the family soon moves to Ontario, and most of the books take place there (19th century).

message 17: by Melanie (last edited Jun 12, 2013 09:41AM) (new)

Melanie (ladybugh) | 124 comments Christine wrote: "I recommend Moonlit Days and Nights by D. H. Tool. It's a hilarious romp through 1890's toronto with a rakish fellow determined to bluff his way into the good life. Here's a link to the Amazon page: I'm not sure if this is the way links are usually offered... http://www.amazon.com/Moonlit-Days-an"

That sounds like a fun suggestion! Thanks! This is a great list. I was able to get it on the Kobo site for $3 with a coupon code.

message 18: by Emmy (new)

Emmy (emmyt956) I really enjoyed Sense of Touch which begins with the Halifax Explosion of 1917. It leans toward the romance side, but it's sweet.

message 19: by Christine (new)

Christine Malec | 173 comments C.P. wrote: "The Whiteoaks of Jalna series by Mazo de la Roche. The first one begins in Ireland, but the family soon moves to Ontario, and most of the books take place there (19th century)."

Oh: I second, third and fourth that recommendation! they're wonderful, and somehow essentially Canadian. The Williamsberg series came up in the thread about covers and gender: I love both sets of books, and have had fun drawing parallels and differences between them. The Jalna books make landscape into a character, and capture the colonial feel of Canada in the late 19th and early 20th centuries really well.

message 20: by Lori (new)

Lori Baldi | -37 comments I read Burden of Desire many years ago about the 1917 munitions ship explosion in Halifax. Really good book. And I've been a Geek Fan of Robert MacNeil for quite a while.

message 21: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 23 comments I also second the Whiteoaks of Jalna series. I'd add two books about New France,Black Robe and Jeanne, fille du Roy/The King's Daughter. Another one set in Quebec,Maria Chapdelaine and Master and maid: The Charles Massey murder about a murder in early 20th century Toronto, involving a member of the Massey family.

message 22: by Anna (new)

Anna (oddsoul) I read Obasan for a college class. It's about Japanese immigrants in Canada around WWII. It doesn't have great ratings on here, but I liked it!

message 23: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 100 comments I'd forgotten that I have this book The Deserter by Paul Almond

message 24: by Gail (new)

Gail Amendt Three Day Road is very good. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. I also really enjoyed Gabrielle Roy's books, although they are not really historical fiction, but rather Canadian classics. The Tin Flute is my favorite.

message 25: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 23 comments I've just come across this author, who writes about New France. I haven't read her yet, but I wouldn't mind hearing from someone who has.
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

There's also the classicKamouraska which I should've remembered sooner.

message 26: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 248 comments Re Kamouraska--It sounds like it's similar to The Awakeningby Kate Chopin. Is it?

message 27: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 23 comments Shomeret wrote: "Re Kamouraska--It sounds like it's similar to The Awakeningby Kate Chopin. Is it?"

I haven't read the awakening, so I can't say.

message 28: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 2 comments I really enjoyed the Birth House. I'm reading Emily of New Moon at the moment, which is an interesting book if not also quite naive in tone. It's not 'historical fiction' but it sure is historical :)

message 29: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 2 comments Margaret wrote: "I also second the Whiteoaks of Jalna series. I'd add two books about New France,Black Robe and Jeanne, fille du Roy/The King's Daughter. Another one set in Quebec,[book..."

King's daughter sounds very interesting. I'm hoping to learn more about that large chunk in my heritage - starting with fiction could be fun. Thanks!

message 30: by Mara (last edited Jan 01, 2014 12:27PM) (new)

Mara (marapalumbo) | 7 comments Margaret wrote: "Being Canadian I am always on the lookout for some good Canadian HF. Anyone got any good recommendations?
I've read
Bride of New France by Suzanne Desrochers
[book..."

One of my all time favorite books is [book:Fall on Your Knees|5174]. It takes place in Nova Scotia starting around the turn of the last century.

message 31: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (ladybugh) | 124 comments I've just started the Rebellion Mystery series by Don Gutteridge - the first book is called Turncoat. It takes place in Upper Canada in 1836.

message 32: by Natalie (new)

Natalie LeBlanc (papermuse) Away by Jane Urquhart is partly set in Ottawa during the assassination of D'Arcy Mcgee.

River Thieves: A Novel by Michael Crummey is set in 19th century Newfoundland, before the Beothuk were completely extint.

message 33: by Judith (new)

Judith (windowtoapast) | 34 comments The Underling is set in Ottawa in the 1930s