That's Normal's Boozy Book Club discussion

Written in Red (The Others, #1)
This topic is about Written in Red
Written in Red Discussion > SPOILERY: For those who have finished Written in Red!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Elise (eliserrr) | 25 comments Mod
THAR BE SPOILERS AHEAD. Have at it, those who have finished the book!

Ellie (ellieharris) | 6 comments I'm finished. So much to discuss.

Emily Anthon I'm half way... read for hours last night. Really intrigued so far! :)

Ellie (ellieharris) | 6 comments It catches you and drags you in, right?

Emily Anthon It is 2 am here in LA... I'm still reading even though I have a big day tomorrow! I just have to say, I love the crows, not a major character but they are the most vivid for me! Love it!

message 6: by Rebekah (last edited Jun 15, 2013 12:54PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rebekah Decker (bekahbuttons) | 101 comments Mod
I finished!

(view spoiler)

Beth (bethorne) | 310 comments Mod
I think these comments will show up in everyone's news feeds, so even though this is the spoiler thread, be sure to put real spoilers behind a tag.

oh crap. okay

Beth wrote: "I think these comments will show up in everyone's news feeds, so even though this is the spoiler thread, be sure to put real spoilers behind a tag."

wha'ts the spoiler tag?
nm
spoiler: (view spoiler)

Emily Anthon I'm done! An d I will use the spoiler tag!

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen Finished! Can't wait to discuss!

Ellie (ellieharris) | 6 comments Can someone please explain the significance of the author repeatedly mentioning that the characters are constantly taking off their shoes?

message 13: by Beth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emily wrote: "It is 2 am here in LA... I'm still reading even though I have a big day tomorrow! I just have to say, I love the crows, not a major character but they are the most vivid for me! Love it!"

I liked the crows too! They reminded me of Jeremy from The Secret of Nimh and his red string! And I agree - they seem to be the most well developed "species" in terms of characteristics.

message 14: by Beth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ellie wrote: "Can someone please explain the significance of the author repeatedly mentioning that the characters are constantly taking off their shoes?"

I guess she wants you to know that they aren't busting their Keds up every time they shift like some wolves we know. *cough* Jake *cough*

Emily Anthon Beth, totally secret of nihm! I have more to say but not sure how the spoiler tags work or don't on my ipad, will need to figure that out before my next comment... It has to do with Asia who I loathe....

message 16: by Beth (last edited Jun 17, 2013 06:42PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emily wrote: "Beth, totally secret of nihm! I have more to say but not sure how the spoiler tags work or don't on my ipad, will need to figure that out before my next comment... It has to do with Asia who I loat..."

The spoiler tag uses these < > with the word spoiler between. Then use those at the end of your spoiler with /spoiler between them.

message 17: by Beth (last edited Jun 17, 2013 06:43PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

So (view spoiler)

message 18: by Emily (last edited Jun 17, 2013 06:48PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emily Anthon I don't think the HTML shows up on my app... Must open in web.... Grrr.

Trying now...

Nope didnt work from what I can tell... Must figure out technology

[ (view spoiler)]

message 19: by Beth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emily wrote: "I don't think the HTML shows up on my app... Must open in web.... Grrr.

Trying now...

Nope didnt work from what I can tell... Must figure out technology

[ [spoilers removed]]"

Ugh. Nothing works right in the goodreads app.

(view spoiler)

Emily Anthon It did work!!! Yay!

(view spoiler)

Ellie (ellieharris) | 6 comments B - I agree with you about A, I just wonder why S didn't see it, ya know?

message 22: by Beth (last edited Jun 18, 2013 01:41PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Here's how I feel about the animal love thing:

(view spoiler)

Shalan | 8 comments Finished!

(view spoiler)

I also would like to discuss how I feel like the author was childish in her names for things:
Wolfgard? Owlgard (was it owlguard?) Hawkgard? Sounds like names a 7 year old would give..

let's not forget the worst of them all:

SPARKLETOWN

gosh I really did not like the book, did I?

Shalan | 8 comments I learned a while ago that to really enjoy urban fantasy and paranormal romance you have to accept that there will be a lot of eyerolling and as if's ...and that you will NEVER EVER be able to discuss story lines OUTLOUD to anyone without sounding like a complete idiot.

Shalan wrote: "I learned a while ago that to really enjoy urban fantasy and paranormal romance you have to accept that there will be a lot of eyerolling and as if's ...and that you will NEVER EVER be able to disc..."

Hmm... good thought Shalan... This reading thing IS new to me, you know (okay not new, but I've read more books in the last month than I did all last year. THANKS TRAIN!) I might need to get over it. Hold me while I try, K?

Emily Anthon Rebekah wrote: "let's not forget the worst of them all:

SPARKLETOWN"

I too thought it was juvenille I didn't hate or dislike the book, but it just ended so abruptly for me I was like Janet Jackson "Is that the end?"

I hadn't heard of "urban paranormal fantasy" until goodreads told me that's what this book was. It does sound a little crazy. I might read book two. we'll see.

BREAKING: (view spoiler) (Where have we heard that before?)

ZZZzzzzzz Oh hey I'm done. I'm with Bekah on this one:

(view spoiler)

I have many other thoughts, but will try to ration them. Not sure I want to read another one of these, aaa sorry!

I too thought it was juvenille I didn't hate or dislike the book, but it just ended so abruptly for me I was like Janet Jackso..."

I know we push the Fever series like it's a hot new club drug, but THAT is some good urban paranormal fantasy, if you're looking to lose a few weeks of your life (worth it).

Rebekah wrote: "I also would like to discuss how I feel like the author was childish in her names for things:
Wolfgard? Owlgard (was it owlguard?) Hawkgard? Sounds like names a 7 year old would give..

let's not f..."

Totally agree. I felt like some of this was minimal effort at best. I think I'm bitchy because I really expected more romance other than face licking or (view spoiler)

One more thing I have to get off my chest:

Why was 90% of the book not actual plot but mundane and meticulous daily tasks and activities? Why detail Simon's orders on how to clean up the specific part of the floor in a certain room and/or what Meg did every minute of the morning, if it's not going to matter?

asldfkajsdlknwefdn

Jk totally not done venting.

This is something on the more serious side that I'd love to get other people's thoughts on: the description of cutting as euphoric/addictive really disturbed and shocked me when it was introduced. I mean...potential trigger alert, much? I know this isn't YA, but yikes.

Emily Anthon Elise wrote: "I know we push the Fever series like it's a hot new club drug"

Honey, I haven't even read divergent yet... I have some catching up to do!

Emily wrote: Honey, I haven't even read divergent yet... I have some catching up to do!"

Neither have I! I think I've read the least YA out of all five of us. Really only Twilight and the Hunger Games. So I never know what's going on.

Elise wrote: "Emily wrote: Honey, I haven't even read divergent yet... I have some catching up to do!"

Neither have I! I think I've read the least YA out of all five of us. Really only Twilight and the Hunger G..."

Girls read divergent. And Em.. the Fever series.. sighh...

Elise wrote: "Jk totally not done venting.

This is something on the more serious side that I'd love to get other people's thoughts on: the description of cutting as euphoric/addictive really disturbed and shoc..."

YOU ARE RIGHT.. that WAS disturbing... Save these thoughts for next week's chat please! These are good ones we must discuss face to face. err screen to screen

Ellie (ellieharris) | 6 comments Elise wrote: "Jk totally not done venting.

This is something on the more serious side that I'd love to get other people's thoughts on: the description of cutting as euphoric/addictive really disturbed and shoc..."

I thought the exact same thing about the cutting!

message 39: by Beth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elise wrote: "Jk totally not done venting.

AGREED.

message 40: by Lavi (last edited Jun 21, 2013 09:44AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lavi | 3 comments I'm not completely done reading, but I have problems avoiding spoilers...anyway, I also thought the description of the cutting was graphic and could definitely be a trigger. Mental health awareness is a big thing for me. I think the author could have accomplished her goal in a different way. It was a bit too real for a paranormal/fantasy book. But maybe it's super duper important to the story and I haven't gotten there yet?

message 41: by Jill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jill | 7 comments m'eh. And that pretty much sums up my feelings about this book. Had trouble getting over the lack of creativity in geography and felt like the religion was borrowed from "Game of Thrones". Kind of a turn off, since I'm a GOT fan That being said, I was still driven enough to finish the book which says something for investment in Meg. Was hoping for a little more as I thought was promised by the cover.

Emily Anthon one of the funny things to come from this book? I live on a tree lined street w/ a giant power line. I got out of the car yesterday after church and above on the power line? A "murder" of crows (it's real, google it!) I'm talking more than 10 all just cawing and honking away. I laughed and wondered if I had something shiny. I will always look at crows differently now.

Mary Beth | 8 comments Finished reading. Totally agree with Shalan. If you try and explain the story to someone, you will get the same look you get when you try to explain the plot of True Blood. That being said, I kind of want to read the next book in the series just to see what happens to Meg. Many more thoughts, but will save til later.

message 44: by Beth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Guys: Just a reminder, if you have something specific you want us to talk about (not necessarily a question, but maybe an observation) you can put it in this thread before Thursday (or tweet with the #TNbookclub hashtag). We want to know what you think!!

Linnea (meganlinnea) | 17 comments I agree with the PP about the names of the Others. (view spoiler)

Lynette | 20 comments Elise wrote: "
I too thought it was juvenille I didn't hate or dislike the book, but it just ended so abruptly for me I was like Janet Jackso..."

I know we push the Fever series like it's a hot new club drug, b..."

Ok, ok! I've ordered the Fever series. If only to keep up with what the hell everyone keeps talking about

Lynette | 20 comments Elise wrote: "One more thing I have to get off my chest:

Why was 90% of the book not actual plot but mundane and meticulous daily tasks and activities? Why detail Simon's orders on how to clean up the specific ..."

Yes! One brief description of an activity is all that's required for our understanding. Getting paid by the word perhaps?

Lynette | 20 comments Elise wrote: "Jk totally not done venting.

YES! This really concerned me, especially as it's so ordered (specific placements giving differing effects; calculation of the spacing).
It may not be classified as YA but it had a YA-feel to me (though limited experience) from the writing style and cover

Lynette | 20 comments Quick comments before I go to sleep:

Interested in the concept of the collision of two worlds but felt the human world was too similar to our current – developments/innovations would have been different taking into account the Others.

I found the writing style easy to read and although you could see some plot points coming a mile off I did still want to know exactly how they were handled.

Very concerned about the cutting with it's ecstasy edge. The cover and the content felt quite YA to me, perhaps because of Meg's naiveté

I probably will read the next book as I typically read a full series unless it gets ridiculously forced (looking at you Vampire Diaries books)

Happy discussions folks

OH HEY
Who's getting ready for #TNbookclub ?!!

« previous 1