Making Connections discussion

Floor 88
This topic is about Floor 88
ARCHIVES > Advertising self published work

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha Robertson | 8 comments So I have 2 books currently self published, both have had great reviews and people are really responding to my work, but I'm at a loss as to how to advertise and market my work! If anyone has any really helpful tips or knowledge to share, please let me know! THanks.

message 2: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Yanez Twitter has worked wonders for me and really helped me get my name out there. The first time I got published was from a connection through one of my writers groups. I'd definitely recommend getting involved with local authors if you haven't already. Hope this helps.

message 3: by Darth J (new)

Darth J  (j___) I think one of the best things you can do to really reach out to readers is getting really involved on here in discussion forums and such. That way people can see how you write and it will entice them to check out your work without being too in their face about it (some authors do this and think they are being sly by humble bragging while slipping a promo about their book into threads but it just makes you want to do a face palm in embarrassment for them).

Another way to advertise is guesting on someone's blog or starting a blog of your own. You can send free review copies to your local newspaper and media outlets (if you live in a smaller area, local news likes to do stories on local celebrities) then slowly extend your outreach. You can volunteer at career days at your local schools or libraries. The list is endless with free advertising really, all it takes is an investment of your time depending on how you do it.

What I can offer NOT to do (especially on here) is to spam email about your book or send a recommendation to everyone in your friend list about your book. Those are only good ways of getting you flagged as spam or blocked. No one is ever interested in spam, trust me.

message 4: by Massimo (new)

Massimo Marino | 31 comments Look for bloggers who do review books in your genre. Read their policy and their older reviews too so that you may get a feeling whether your story is of interest or not to them.

Run a Giveaway in goodreads, join some of the groups here offering reviews to authors, interact with readers.

message 5: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha Robertson | 8 comments Massimo wrote: "Look for bloggers who do review books in your genre. Read their policy and their older reviews too so that you may get a feeling whether your story is of interest or not to them.

Run a Giveaway in..."

Thanks all for your replies; have already put some of them into action but nice to hear other's are on the same page! As for doing a give away, how do I go about doing that? I've already dome one via facebook, but how do I set one up on Goodreads? Thanks again all

message 6: by Massimo (new)

Massimo Marino | 31 comments Sammy wrote: "Massimo wrote: "Look for bloggers who do review books in your genre. Read their policy and their older reviews too so that you may get a feeling whether your story is of interest or not to them.

R..."

On the top menu bar, click on "Explore". One of the items is 'giveaways'

message 7: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Hill | 8 comments Check out some of the book contests out there, too. Many of my authors have won awards that have helped them gain exposure; some even landed agents. Chances are good if you get your book in front of industry pros. Since many judges' panels for these book contests are made up of editors, agents, and publishers, you may have a likelihood for great success.

Best of luck to you!

message 8: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha Robertson | 8 comments a ha! Book giveaway up and running :)Thanks all for your help and support, let's hope some of these tips pay off!

message 9: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Sharp (margaretlynettesharp) | 40 comments Sammy, are your titles listed on Goodreads?

message 10: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Sharp (margaretlynettesharp) | 40 comments Sammy, is your book listed on Goodreads?

message 11: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha Robertson | 8 comments Margaret wrote: "Sammy, is your book listed on Goodreads?"

Morning Margaret, Book one is listed on here, it's Floor 88. Book 2 is due for general release on 26th June, after that it will be on here. x

message 12: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Sharp (margaretlynettesharp) | 40 comments I found it when I searched for it by title, Sammy, but I can't see it on your profile.

message 13: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha Robertson | 8 comments oh! I'll look into that now, thank you Margaret x

message 14: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha Robertson | 8 comments How do I add it to my profile? I can't seem to find it! (I'm new to this website, can you tell!?) Thanks guys x

message 15: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Sharp (margaretlynettesharp) | 40 comments Sammy wrote: "How do I add it to my profile? I can't seem to find it! (I'm new to this website, can you tell!?) Thanks guys x"

Sorry, I can't remember how I started mine. Once it's up and running, you only need to click at the appropriate place to get to where you add more titles.
I suggest you also write more about yourself on you author biography, and mention your title(s).

message 16: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha Robertson | 8 comments I've done that now, thank you, but as far as adding my own titles, I'm lost! What I have done is add a new shelf to my book shelf and have added "floor 88" to that so hopefully it will be easier to find. :)

message 17: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Sharp (margaretlynettesharp) | 40 comments Sammy wrote: "I've done that now, thank you, but as far as adding my own titles, I'm lost! What I have done is add a new shelf to my book shelf and have added "floor 88" to that so hopefully it will be easier to..."

That's several steps in the right direction! I hope someone else can advise you how to add your own titles. :)

message 18: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelleabbott) | 71 comments Sammy, do you have an author profile? If not you need to set that up to be able to claim your books as yours.

message 19: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha Robertson | 8 comments Michelle wrote: "Sammy, do you have an author profile? If not you need to set that up to be able to claim your books as yours."
Hi Michelle, I don't think I do, how do I set one up? Really struggling with this! lol THanks for advice everyone, super helpful! x

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelleabbott) | 71 comments Sammy, go here http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...
& at the bottom where it says 'is this you' click on it while signed into goodreads & they will change your profile to an author one