The Readers discussion

Updates and Readers Book Club Revamp

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Simon (last edited Jun 10, 2013 02:58AM) (new)

Simon (savidgereads) | 449 comments Mod
Hello everyone,

Firstly apologies for me being so unusually quiet on here for so long. As some of you will possibly know Granny Savidge (who has become rather infamous on my blog) is very sadly, at only 71, nearing the end of her life and I have become her part time carer for the time she has left so I have been a bit out of the loop.

Anyway, I will be going over the threads over the next week and playing some catch up now work has got much less hectic (a literary festival, then war commemmoration weekend and a music festival in two months has been crazy) so am looking forward to catching up with you all.

Now then, the Readers Book Club. Expect an announcement later today of the all new revamped book club. We have been missing you all joining in and so are changing things so you get three titles every 'season' in advance which gives you more time to read and join in. There will be a special podcast going live later today so keep your itunes on alert ;) I can say that the first book will be Tarquin Hall's 'The Case of the Missing Servant' as we have recorded it and it goes live Friday. The other two choices remain a secret, for now.

Do you think this sounds like a better system? What titles might you recommend for Autumn's three choices?

Let me know!

Simon

message 2: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ First of all, all my best to you and your family as you are dealing with Granny Savidge's health concerns. I am definitely sending positive thoughts.

Second of all, I think it will be helpful to get the book titles in advance for the Book Club. I know there are many I would love to read, but the next thing I know the episode is airing and time has flown by so quickly.

I can't think of any suggestions as of now, but I will keep it in my thoughts.

message 3: by Jenni (new)

Jenni (jennilukee) I'm all for knowing the titles in advance. And once again you have chosen intriguing titles. :)

This is more like a suggestion than a recommendation since I haven't read any of his books, but how about Lloyd Shepherd? Both The English Monster and The Poisoned Island look interesting.

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. It's wonderful that you are able to be there for her during this time.

I'm very happy about the changes in the book club. I've been really in a reading/blogging slump so this advance notice will really be helpful for me! Thanks to you and Gavin for all the work you put into the podcast!

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 5 comments I like having the books in advance. In my book club we ask for a two month notice. I looked up all the books and it looks like "The Last Banquet" The Last Banquet has two expected publication dates. Goodreads says July 7th and amazon says October 1st.

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris Wolak (chriswolak) I didn't realize your gran is only 71. I hope she's comfortable and My heart goes out to you and your family.

This seasonal system is going to be perfect, I think. It'll be enough time to plan but flexible enough to stay open to new releases. (I know of one group that picks titles for the whole year which seems a bit much.) For the autumn how about Joe Hill's new one? NOS4A2 is it? And Jhumpa Lahiri has a new novel coming out in the fall, too. Would also recommend Fangland by John Marks.

message 7: by Donna (new)

Donna (electrogirl68) | 6 comments I am picking up a copy of Snake Ropes from the library today as it sounds intriguing!

Best wishes to your gran and all your family at this difficult time.

message 8: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 135 comments I'm so glad you are getting to spend this time with your Gran.
I grew up living with mine and although after 20+ years I still really miss her it is great to have so many wonderful memories of the time we spent together.
We also shared a great love of books and I still have her collections of Agatha Christies

message 9: by Donna (new)

Donna (electrogirl68) | 6 comments Book Depository are selling signed copies of The Last Banquet for pre-order at the moment if anyone is interested.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Last-...

message 10: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 68 comments Sorry I fell off the face of the Earth. Planning a wedding and spending time biting nails has kept me at bay. Finally catching up on episodes missed--it's a little like Christmas! Can't wait to hear your reviews on these book club reads, also I am looking forward to the Autumn picks!

message 11: by Simon (new)

We have the autumn picks all ready for you all ;)

message 12: by Louise (new)

Louise | 154 comments Yay - I just ordered the september book, looks like a manageable length :-)

message 13: by Simon (new)

Louise wrote: "Yay - I just ordered the september book, looks like a manageable length :-)"

Hooray, I am just about to update all the book club choices we've missed then will put the new ones on to get everyone having a natter!

message 14: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 68 comments I just listened to "Hear, Read This!" and I love it. I looked up "Adventures With Words" as soon as you mentioned it on The Readers and like it equally as well. Putting all of my favorite reviewers together in a room discussing the same book is the most I could ask for--Thank You!

message 15: by April (new)

April | 11 comments Not sure where to post this, so I'll post it here--Thomas and Simon, I very much enjoy the podcast, but I have a big favor to ask: Would you, please, post links or just list the titles of the books and other websites and podcasts you mention on The Readers? I listen while driving to work, and I can't remember all the great suggestions, so I try to check the website for the titles, etc., but no luck. It would be great if you could add this information.