The Book Vipers discussion

Film Chat > What Are Your Favourite Films?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 113 (113 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (cramptonhodnet) What films do you love to watch? They can be ones that you remember from childhood, or ones you have seen recently. Anything at all, but please don't promote new stuff here.

Oh, and please keep it clean!

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5459 comments Mod
I tend to prefer the sci-fi and spy or thrillers type of films. I have listed a few below:
Blade Runner
Minority Report
Enemy of the State
Ronin
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

message 3: by Steph (new)

Steph I like lots of types...thriller, chic flic, i even like sci fi although i haven't always it's only been since i got older. As a child i have a very clear memory of sleeping through 'star wars'. I love films with twists, like 'memento' for example. I also like adaptations of books, i like to read the books first then go see the films to see how they have interpreted it.

message 4: by Jo (new)

Jo Weston (joster) | 1697 comments Mod
Paul - Ronin is one of my favourite films of all time. Jean Reno is just to die for, for me! That car chase scene possibly will never be bettered!

A secret pleasure are many of those Harrison Ford or Liam Neeson type European based thrillers - Taken, Frantic, Forgotten, whatever they are all called. I know they are a bit cheesy but good actors OUTSIDE American who pack a punch - I love it.

Was Memento the film that went backwards?? I always swore I would watch it agian but haven't had the chance. I really must. I LOVE Guy Pearce.

Which reminds me. LA Confidential. Oh my word.

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5459 comments Mod
Leon, also with Jean Reno was excellent, have also enjoyed Inception and the Adjustment Bureau, The Kings speech and believe it or not the Black Swan

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mrswhams) | 730 comments Mod
I like most genres I think but find a lot of current Hollywood output uninteresting and derivative: The Hangover 3, I Don't Care What You Did Last Summer, etc. My all-time favourite film is The Princess Bride!

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (cramptonhodnet) I'm keen to see the latest version of The Great Gatsby. The earlier one with Robert Redford as Gatsby was brilliant but I'd love to see Leonardo DiCaprio's interpretation.

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen (jefnerf) | 369 comments Mod
I love allsorts really, my favourites include Forest Gump, Titanic, Love Actually, Schindler's List and Mean Girls.

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna (justanna) | 145 comments been forever since I watch a good film (well on for grown ups!)

I'm half tempted by The Great Gatsby, which is a bit perverse as I'm nit a fan of the book and I'm don't like the sound if the music!!!

message 10: by Nicola (new)

Nicola (nicola1) | 61 comments Jen wrote: "I love allsorts really, my favourites include Forest Gump, Titanic, Love Actually, Schindler's List and Mean Girls."

I love Mean Girls!!! And Love Actually.

My favourite film is Breakfast at Tiffany's :)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm a sucker for any films set in Scotland. Local Hero is definitely one of my favourites. Also, the Robert Donat version of The 39 Steps, Whisky Galore and I Know Where I'm Going.

I'm a big Bogart fan so Casablanca, The Big Sleep, The Maltese Falcon and To Have and Have Not would also be among my top 20.

Oh, I could go on and on...

message 12: by Ibrahim (new)

Ibrahim | 30 comments My favourite film is The Shawshank Redemption

message 13: by Hailie (new)

Hailie | 4 comments I liked Men In Black 3, The Hunger Games, The Expendables 2, and The Series Of Unfortunate Events. My favorite film would either be Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory or The Wizard Of Oz.

message 14: by Betty C. (new)

Betty C. | 127 comments 1. Annie Hall
2. Casablanca
3. Singing in the Rain
4. The Graduate
5. Sideways

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan (suze0501) | 190 comments How wonderful that Casablanca still comes up on the fave film lists. Me too - I think I know the script - and I still watch the closing scenes through a mist of tears - I should get out more really shouldn't I!?

Other favourites: Now Voyager; Apocalypse Now; The Godfather 1 and 2 and more recently the Gary Oldham Tinker, Tailor. And speaking of Gary Oldham I'm afraid I'm devoted to Harry Potter - celluloid and print - well I said I should get out more!!

message 16: by Tamra (new)

Tamra LeValley (tamral) Believe it or not my favorite movie "The Wizard of Oz". It reminds me that there is no place like home.The Wizard of Oz

message 17: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean The Boondock Saints, The Little Mermaid, Warm Bodies, Underworld, Face Off, The Bourne Identity, Fracture, The Hunger Games, Lord of the Rings and Pirates of the Caribbean (The first one is the best).

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (cramptonhodnet) Tamra wrote: "Believe it or not my favorite movie "The Wizard of Oz". It reminds me that there is no place like home.The Wizard of Oz"

It's often a film we see as a child that becomes a firm favourite. My favourite from childhood is The Railway Children, based on E Nesbit's novel. The ending never fails to make me cry!

message 19: by Lade (new)

Lade Tawak (deaduramilade) | 7 comments horrors, thrillers, chick flicks, almost every genre really. post apocalyptic, dystopian, paranormal, sci fi etc aren't my type but I'll watch and actually like one once in a while. one of my favourite movies of all time Catch Me If You Can

message 20: by ch (new)

ch Catch me if you can was fantastic!

My favorites are movies that deal with archetypal/mythological themes. Phaedra, I Am Love, Iphegenia are a few.

message 21: by Costanza (new)

Costanza (cocobearxd) | 2 comments WOW... there are a lot of movies I love so this is pretty hard!! :p
I used to love 'Love Actually' when I was younger but I haven't seen it in FOREVER!
I really like; A walk to Remember, The Proposal, Becoming Jane, The Hunger Games...
I am kind of IN LOVE WITH 'Dirty Dancing' <3 <3 :p
And I recently fell in love with 'The Great Gatsby! <3

message 22: by Uomo di Speranza (new)

Uomo di Speranza (uomodisperanza) | 2 comments A lot of people I know said that Gatsby was too overdone, but I thought Baz did such a great job with it! The incorporation of rap music was so amazing because jazz was to the 20's what rap is to today.

message 23: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) "The Day the Earth Stood Still" from 1951 (the b&w oldie with Michael Rennie.) I remembered being amazed by this as a child and it still works every time I see it. The underlying message is timeless.

It was remade a couple of years ago and although the plot was quite different they made quite a good fist of it. I was most surprised to find the cinema absolutely packed with teenagers for a midweek matinee.... but then it was starring Keanu Reeves!

message 24: by ch (last edited Aug 17, 2013 06:19AM) (new)

ch I also loved the Great Gatsby, and I wasn't expecting to. DiCaprio was phenomenal.

And The Day the Earth Stood Still was absolutely fantastic. My daughter burst into tears when the wounded spaceman held up the gift that was destroyed in the initial attack. I get choked up just recalling that scene and her reaction.

Lots of good films are mentioned on this thread! It seems we readers have good taste in cinema too ;)

message 25: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 4 comments Pride & Prejudice
Emma
Yours,Mine,Ours (with Lucille Ball)

message 26: by Grey (new)

Grey Wolf | 35 comments I was thinking about this the other day and wondering if my favourite type of film was one which in general I don't think I'd read the book of - Kelly's Heroes for example; a fantastic film, but would I even bother considering reading a book on it?

But then I remembered some of my other favourite films - Groundhog Day and Independence Day, and I could definitely see myself reading books of those.

And then you have others, like War of the Worlds (Cruise/Fanning) which is based on a book, but not that book. Its one of my favourite films, too.

message 27: by Grey (new)

Grey Wolf | 35 comments Why did the Group Rules leap up about my post? I didn't diss anyone, I didn't self promote, all I did was write a post with more than just a couple of lines in it...

message 28: by Grey (new)

Grey Wolf | 35 comments Jean wrote: ""The Day the Earth Stood Still" from 1951 (the b&w oldie with Michael Rennie.) I remembered being amazed by this as a child and it still works every time I see it. The underlying message is timeles..."

That reminded me of another of my favourite films 'The Day The Earth Caught Fire' - absolutely fantastic!

I could also add 'The Whistleblower' and 'Defence of The Realm', I watch them every few months again and again

message 29: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (cramptonhodnet) Grey - the rules show up for everyone, for all posts. Not just you :)

message 30: by Grey (last edited Jul 11, 2013 10:24AM) (new)

Grey Wolf | 35 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Grey - the rules show up for everyone, for all posts. Not just you :)"

Ah sorry, it just seemed very persistently sticky to that post, riding up the page with it and I wondered what I'd done to trigger that! I will now drink the cure for paranoia!

Another favourite film is BY DAWN'S EARLY LIGHT starring Rebecca de Mornet, Powers Boothe, Rip Torn, Martin Landau and James Earl Jones. Fantastic!

message 31: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Grey - you must have been looking at my DVDs!! Yes "The Day the Earth Caught Fire" is a superb, timeless film. It's English, and I think the originals must have deteriorated as my copy isn't very good. Maybe this is why it is so little known, compared wIth the SF classic "The Day the Earth Stood Still".

But the mounting tension in the film as (view spoiler) cannot be bettered. Whenever I watch this film I wonder why we ignore the fragility of our ecosystems and what have we been doing to prevent this kind of disaster for the last 50 years. (view spoiler)

message 32: by ch (new)

ch I am gonig to look up this movie! Thanks for the recommendations.

message 33: by Grey (new)

Grey Wolf | 35 comments Jean wrote: "Grey - you must have been looking at my DVDs!! Yes "The Day the Earth Caught Fire" is a superb, timeless film. It's English, and I think the originals must have deteriorated as my copy isn't very g..."

You have a DVD of The Day The Earth Caught Fire? LoveFilm told me it wasn't available on DVD. Do you have its equivalent of an ISBN for it? I'd love to own it and watch it again

message 34: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Grey - I can't find a number on the box, but it's available on Amazon! Mine looks like the one that was reissued in 2009. As I said though, the quality isn't that brilliant especially the credits. But I wouldn't be without it! :)

And as for contemporary films, I thought the film of "The Hobbit" (part 1) was superb! In fact I was so impressed that I went to see it 5 times, which is unheard of. A friend commented after my 3rd visit that I hadn't really got the idea of a trilogy.....

message 35: by Grey (last edited Jul 15, 2013 10:42AM) (new)

Grey Wolf | 35 comments Bought!

Is that comparison a tool here? Last time I did one, I did it by eye! They accepted my friend request thankfully.

message 36: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Yes - on the person's profile page under their picture there's a "compare books" - just click on it and there are interesting stats.

message 37: by Lade (new)

Lade Tawak (deaduramilade) | 7 comments Little Rascals and Problem Child

message 38: by Stacia (new)

Stacia | 8 comments My recent favourites are Shutter Island, No Country for Old Men and Django Unchained.

Classics include The Birds, The Shining, Pan's Labyrinth and Buffalo 66. I love films that have an atmosphere and build a bit of tension.

message 39: by John (new)

John  Ashtone (johnashtone) | 8 comments Katherine wrote: "I'm a sucker for any films set in Scotland. Local Hero is definitely one of my favourites. Also, the Robert Donat version of The 39 Steps, Whisky Galore and I Know Where I'm Going.

I'm a big Bogar..."

Gosh have you been looking at my DVD/VCR collection, I can take or leave Local Hero, and I know where I'm Going, but those two aside the rest of your list includes most of my favourites, the Robert Donat "39 steps" is still the best.

Add to it Shakespeare in Love, also I noticed someone put "Tinker, Tailor", I haven't seen the film but I do have the TV series + "Smiley's people" with Alec Guinness.

I am a sucker for the old B & W gangster movies, "Public Enemy" and "Little Caesar" with Edward G. Robinson, wonderful.

Plus "Bullitt" Steve McQueen at his coolest lol.

message 40: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Katherine wrote: "I'm a sucker for any films set in Scotland. Local Hero is definitely one of my favourites. Also, the Robert Donat version of The 39 Steps, Whisky Galore and I Know Where I'm Going.

I'm a big Bogar..."

Love all of those! Plus "The Lady Vanishes", "Some Like It Hot", "His Girl Friday"...

message 41: by Leslie (new)

Leslie John wrote: "...I am a sucker for the old B & W gangster movies, "Public Enemy" and "Little Caesar" with Edward G. Robinson, wonderful..."

And "White Heat" ("Top of the world Ma!") with Cagney!

I also like early B & W westerns like "Stagecoach", "Destry Rides Again", "High Noon"...

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) Mine's got to be It's a Wonderful Life with Jimmy Stewart. The hankies come out every time!!!

message 43: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) I'm with you there Pat!

message 44: by Jan (new)

Jan Notzon | 261 comments Man, it's wonderful to find there are others who appreciate Frank Capra and what I think is his greatest film or, at least, my favorite. Love that music from the 50s too. Nat King Cole is my fav.

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) Nat King Cole's voice is like liquid velvet - the sort you sit back, close your eyes, relax and just let it wash over you.

message 46: by Ali (new)

Ali (alibalibee) 12 Angry Men
The Usual Suspects
Me Without You
Wonder Boys
Donnie Darko

:-)

message 47: by Ali (new)

Ali (alibalibee) oh and Local Hero!!

message 48: by Leslie (new)

Leslie @Pat, Jean, and Jan - I love almost all of Frank Capra's films! My favorite is Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Jean Arthur is so good as Jimmy Stewart's cynical secretary :) It is nice to run across some other people who like these!

@Ali - I think 12 Angry Men may be Henry Fonda's greatest movie.

message 49: by ch (new)

ch Donny Darko is a good movie. I don't like the ending, it doesn't seem to live up to the quality of the rest of the film. But I found it to be extremely original and engrossing!

And 12 Angry Men is very good also. It has a stylistic polish that I really enjoyed, such as the protagonist wearing the only white suit in the room. It was originally a play, and you can see the theatrical qualities in the film, which makes it a tight performance.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

@John. Shakespeare In Love is enjoyable enough. Geoffrey Rush, as usual, is terrific but it isn't a film I would take to a desert island.

The television version of 'Tinker, Tailor,...' had some cracking performances Alec Guinness, obviously, but also Ian Richardson, Ian Bannen and Bernard Hepton were all sublime. I don't think there was a weak link anywhere. They really don't make them like that anymore, sadly.

@Leslie. How could I have forgotten 'The Lady Vanishes'? Another one of my favourites.

« previous 1 3