The Pilgrim's Progress The Pilgrim's Progress discussion

Is the christian life equal to what this book depicts?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ama (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ama I believe in the pilgrimage to heaven.the christian life has its ups and downs.But i want to know what your thoughts are on the issue.your comments,answers and believes are all accepted.

Lora I openly cried as I read through this book because nearly every scene reflected something in my life. There were the traps and pitfalls of temptation, sin, and so on. There were the long grueling episodes of sheer endurance, trying to keep the faith and press on. There were the friends and their journeys, people who were angels sent by God, and people (and places) that were nothing but a torment to endure. There was the long trip home and the incredible welcome home that made all else smaller in comparison, and well worth everything that had gone before.
I want to read this book again, but it's been a few years and I still kinda hesitate to go through that emotional experience again. I want to renew the spiritual experience of it.

Jean Maurice M. Prosper I think many of what is showed in the book put in light what we experience as part of our christian walk. How each of us responds is quite different, but i am sure the book has showed many of the ways that we do react or behave. It is a reality check book.

message 4: by Wm. Scott (new) - added it

Wm. Scott Conway I think PP has all the scenes in BAM, BAM, BAM succession, whereas in the actual Christian life, they are spread apart, and are typically more subtle. They are not necessarily in the order of PP either (although the beginnings usually do happen first). The best thing to do is read the book and train yourself to recognize it when one of these pitfalls is before you.

Ezekiel Carsella it's not that far off actually i think.

Roger Harned THE PILGRIM'S PROGRESS of John Bunyan is an important book for 21st c. Christians. Trouble is that most of us struggle with ye olde English of King James and the dialogue of the story.
I have addressed that in an ongoing work to be published in 2014, God willing.
I do not spend much time away from writing online, but I would gladly get involved in any specifics of the story about which you may have questions.
Occasionally I look for reader input on a section of my book. Let me know if you are interested.
Roger :{+

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm an agnostic, but I enjoyed this book immensely because, leaving aside the obvious Christian analogy, it is an entertaining story about our spiritual journey through life.

Many of us have experienced a 'slough of despond' and although not all of us will stick to the 'straight and narrow', we strive to avoid ignorance in the path of life.

It is an excellent textbook about the pitfalls of life, the paths to avoid and the wisdom to suffer fools gladly.

message 8: by Ama (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ama A friend asked me to give three reasons why this generation can make it to heaven.now the world is changing really fast and so manx things are catching our attention.so how do you think we all can make it to heaven?please help.

Roger Harned Beloved brother, Ama. Tell your friend there is not even one reason why any generation should make it to heaven.
Yet our hope for heaven is in the cross of Jesus Christ, who assures His own chosen ones a place in Heaven.
It is His personal guarantee. If your friend is willing to give up on this world for eternity with Jesus, in Him we have hope and a mission here and now.
May the Lord bless you.

message 10: by Ama (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ama Thanks Roger,am very grateful. Roger wrote: "Beloved brother, Ama. but am a girl.i will tell my friend.thanks again.:-)

message 11: by Ama (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ama God bless you Roger.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Can we stick to facts please when reviewing a book Goodreads should not be a platform for religious beliefs to get in the way of reason.

Jerry Newhouse Christopher J wrote: "Can we stick to facts please when reviewing a book Goodreads should not be a platform for religious beliefs to get in the way of reason."

While I agree with you, Christopher, about this being a place to review books, your comment at the very end was, in fact, a statement of your religious beliefs. They have as much right to express theirs as you do. They would never try to squelch your speaking of your agnostic beliefs (I was once there myself.) so please don't try to silence them.

It is after all, a highly religious book. To read it and not talk about religion would be almost impossible.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with you Jerry, that you cannot talk about a religious book without mentioning and understanding religious belief. I thought I was doing that in my review of the book. However, I was also making the point that although this is a book about the spiritual journey of a Christian, it can also be read as a spiritual journey for anyone, whatever their religious beliefs. I know many agnostics and atheists who enjoy the book for what it is, an allegory of life, and do not see it as the sole property of Christians. I read Herman Hesse for similar reasons.

message 15: by Ama (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ama Christopher J wrote: "Can we stick to facts please when reviewing a book Goodreads should not be a platform for religious beliefs to get in the way of reason." chris when you said you were agnostic,we all accepted that so i hope you can act same.and goodreads is a social website ,if am not wrong.i believe in discussions questions are unavoidable.God bless you Christopher J

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I gave my reply above Ama. I am not attacking your faith, I am saying that A Pilgrim's Progress can be read, and enjoyed, by anyone. A Muslim or a Jew could read it and understand the basic premise.

Roger Harned Ama, so sorry sister. :)
& Christopher, The Pilgrims Progress is a great story with application for ALL. Bunyan's allegory depicts accurately the character of many of the characters all of us meet in real life.
Yet don't miss the symbolism of Bunyan's Den of his dream. He was imprisoned for his religion - his belief in Jesus Christ and the Bible which Bunyan quotes continually throughout the BOOK.
:{)+

message 18: by Erin (new)

Erin Roger wrote: "THE PILGRIM'S PROGRESS of John Bunyan is an important book for 21st c. Christians. Trouble is that most of us struggle with ye olde English of King James and the dialogue of the story.
I have addre..."

I have read PP about three times this year. Once in an audio version read by Max Maclean which was excellent, one an original version in the old English, and another children's adaptation. Since I had tried to read this years ago and given up, I was blown away at how perceptive and accurate it is. I'm continually going back and re-reading. If you need a reader for your version, I'm volunteering! While I preferred the more modern version for my first read, it is a tricky thing to put into modern English and still retain the original meaning. I pray you will be successful!
Erin

message 19: by Peter (last edited Mar 24, 2014 05:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peter Eze I read the book not necessarily because I'm a Christian, or to find reasons to justify that I'm one.
On a broader picture, the book shows how practicable and spiritually significant life is even in its ordinariness.

message 20: by Lora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lora Oh, That last part of your post was a particularly poetic line, Peter. I'll be savoring that throughout the day. Thanks!

message 21: by Maeros (last edited Sep 27, 2014 02:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maeros  Ama wrote: "why this generation can make it to heaven."
I don't think that anyone alone can 'make it' to heaven. We all know that everyone has done things wrong and is imperfect. I believe in what the Pilgrim's Progress says - that there is only one way to get there, and it's not something we do - it's something someone else has already done.

charles hudson Ama:you hit it on the head. Unfortunately, people very often do not want to talk about things that really matter. That is, eternal things. What could possibly be more relevant.This book is written for the person who actually care about their souls.

message 23: by Jeri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeri Massi Roger wrote: "THE PILGRIM'S PROGRESS of John Bunyan is an important book for 21st c. Christians. Trouble is that most of us struggle with ye olde English of King James and the dialogue of the story.
I have addre..."

Actually, "King James English" is modern English, just an older version of it. Old English reads more like German and requires additional education for a modern English-speaking person to read it. Middle English, from the era of Chaucer, is difficult for a modern English speaker to read, but some may parse through it. But John Bunyan, and the KJV Bible, are both written in modern English.

message 24: by blereader (last edited Jan 01, 2016 05:39PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

blereader This book is definitely an important one to read; it can help one to understand how many Christians understand their faith (e.g., it was one of Abraham Lincoln's favorite readings). However, I'd be cautious about saying that this book represents universally the "Christian life."

In general, the story emphasizes that being a Christian is a personal, spiritual journey--yet, while personal, this journey is ultimately guided and legitimized by referencing verses (even to the point of emulating the argumentation style and outrage of the prophets and apostles); identifying and denouncing deceptions and deceivers; and having unique, otherworldly experiences (e.g., dreams). Many today would agree that these are important parts of Christianity, and each point has support from the Bible itself. Still, even for Christians who agree with Bunyan's points, in practice everyone must weigh these ideas against the needs of family, community, church, career, tradition, and service. In addition, depending on the denomination one identifies with, being a Christian is not simply a spiritual journey, but also a duty to bring about apocryphal prophecies, pay tithe, create children and participate in politics.

Rather than seeing it as a story of Christian life, I see it more as a kaleidoscope of Bible references--Bunyan's dissertation defending Puritanism and denouncing the church politics of the time by using layers upon layers of allusions, all dressed within his own language and experiences. After all, this is a book about a "Pilgrim" praised for dissenting from a corrupt, worldly church, and ventures away from comfort and home to escape death--all very real and present themes in Bunyan's life. This book, practically bubbling over with biblical references, was a good way of demonstrating that he as a non-member of the powerful churches was nevertheless (and in fact, even more so) a rightful interpreter of the Bible.

marvin for myself, I am not as well read and as educated formally as it
seems a good many of the commentaries. I only know that this book is very interesting to me how the allegories play in. And yes when reading this book you have to remember these events and struggles Christian experiences are really over a lifetime. I think. Being of the age of 56 I can understand parts of it that had I read when 16 wouldn't have as much meaning. So a re-read may be a good thing for some.