Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Question of the Week > What Is Your Favorite Summer Treat?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish So, this is a different type question because I want to know what your favorite summer treat is, and if it's a food you prepare, post the recipe, too!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 9691 comments Mod
I love ice cream in the summer, in the winter, just about anytime! My favorite---Baskin Robbins Chocolate Chip, but I also love Blue Bell Tin Roof Sundae!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Oooooh, yumm!

I have a totally yummy pasta salad we love in the summer. I'm going to post the recipe tomorrow.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (studioeastrat) | 511 comments I love smoked brisket on the summer. My husband will break out the smoker and smoke the brisket for a good 12hrs. It's to die for.

message 5: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 1706 comments Mod
Watermelon and other summer fruit. ☺

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Grilling on the deck with an ice cold beer!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 9691 comments Mod
Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "Watermelon and other summer fruit. ☺"

Oh I love summer fruit the best, especially cherries and strawberries. The peaches are expensive this year!

message 8: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

Peaches are one of my faves!

message 9: by Rachel Annie (new)

Rachel Annie (snapdragoness) I just picked up some strawberries from the store - very tasty!

But my favorite summer treat has got to be Key Lime Pie; ever since they went on and on about it on the show Dexter, I've been on a mission to find the best one.

Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "Peaches are one of my faves!"

I usually love them too, but I can't bring myself to pay almost $3 a pound. I know the cherries are kind of pricy, but I feel I have to bite the bullet, since they are only available this time of year.

message 11: by Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, (last edited Jun 10, 2013 06:43AM) (new)

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 288 comments Fresh home-grown produce from my garden and this corn.. fritter-pancake-tamale-looking treat. Idk what it's called. There are different shapes you can make it into. Either tamale-shaped, pancake-shaped, waffle-shaped or you can even bake it like a cake in a cake pan. Take fresh uncooked Asian corn from their husks and then take a knife and positioning the ears of corn vertically, horizontally cut the kernels of corn off into a very large bowl. Afterwards, take the knife and use the dull side of the knife (not the blade) and go over all the areas of the corn once or twice to get the remaining kernels off and to create this 'juice' the kernels make. Be careful not to get any hard bits into the bowl of kernels. Repeat. We do this to a large garbage bag full of fresh just-picked Asian corn, sometimes two large garbage bags. You can add sugar but we usually don't in my family. Ground up the kernels and juice using a grinding machine. One cup of kernels with its natural juice gets one cup of water added when grinding... unless I'm wrong and the water is doubled but I don't think I'm wrong; I haven't made these since last summer and we eyeball measurements. I also believe there was this white corn-starch like ingredient in the treat but idk what it is because it comes in a bag with Chinese or Thai writing. The end result of the water and ground kernels and corn-starch-material look like wet oatmeal. When you scoop some of the lumpy oatmeal-like batter up and pour it from a wooden spoon it slides wetly down and falls with a plop/glop and depending on your taste you make make it more watery or gloppier. You can steam, fry, and bake this treat. Either put a cup of the lumpy batter onto a hot greased pan and make it pancake-style or pour it onto a waffle-maker or wrap a cup or more worth of the batter in banana leaf, aluminum foil, or plastic wrap and either bake it in the oven or put them in a double steamer pot. You can eat this cold or hot. I think those are all the ingredients.. haven't made this since last summer. This makes a large more-than-you-can-eat-in-one-sitting batch and after we make some we always give some away and freeze the rest of the cooked treats. Asian corn has a different taste from sweet corn (not as sweet) and it's of a stickier consistency. It can get stuck in your teeth prepared this way and just steaming the ears of corn and chomping away at it can make kernels stick to your teeth. There are also three colors of Asian corn: purple, white, and yellow. Sometimes an ear of corn displays just two or all three of those colors and sometimes they're pure purple or white. I forget if they can be pure yellow.. I would assume so but white and purple are the majority I've seen I think. So this 'recipe' makes a dark purple or marbled purple or golden yellow treat. You can also save the purple corn husks and boil them in water to get a very dark purple dye. We use this as a natural food coloring for purple sticky rice and other treats. Sometimes we save a bowl full of kernels and cook the kernels with sticky rice we soaked overnight in the purple dye we made to make this sweet sticky rice that can last for three or so days. Rice is the staple we eat at almost every meal so it's a nice change from plain white rice. It's so good, sometimes I just eat the purple kernel infused sticky rice as a full meal.

If this sounds like a recipe you'd want to make tell me and I'll try to get the exact measurements.

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 288 comments WHOOOOOOOO that ended up as a longbutt post. Sorry:p

message 13: by Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, (last edited Jun 10, 2013 06:44AM) (new)

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 288 comments This will be the first year I won't get any fresh cherries. That stinks so bad and it's awfully heart-breaking it's painful to think about. The store-bought cherries pale in comparison too, they don't taste like the ones I grew up eating. Aside from the cherries from our tree I don't even eat cherries because I don't really like them; they're too sweet in deserts and sometimes tart when store-bought. My family moved out of our house of at least 15 years last summer and over the course of living there we had a granny smith apple tree, cherry tree, pear tree, peach tree, a grape vine on our fence, a purple flower tree with flowers we could suck on, flowers (my dad used to gift my mom with flower plants for celebrations and we planted them everywhere), and this lovely garden of herbs (I miss the Thai basil bush we had, it thrived even in winter). Our cherry tree was humungo and perfect for climbing and it sprouted so many cherries we would call like half a dozen of our relatives to come pick some for themselves, we'd eat them constantly, freeze them for winter and there were enough for squirrels and birds and people walking on our block to steal a few bites. I miss watching the cherries bud and grow and turn into delicious opulent juicy cherries.. and waking up to the loud racket birds make outside my window and watching them eat outside my window sill. That just makes me plain homesick. The cherries from my cherry tree was the treat I looked forward to every summer.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, wrote: "WHOOOOOOOO that ended up as a longbutt post. Sorry:p"

Haha! No worries! The recipe sounds good! I can't quite place what it might be!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I'm craving watermelon this summer. I know it's not quite exotic or anything, but I can't get enough of it!

Funny thing is, this year my desert tortoise has decided it's his favorite too, when in the past he wouldn't touch it! And my 5 chickens think anything you take outside is theirs, so if I sit on the patio with the watermelon, I'm constantly defending my plate!

message 16: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

When we were young we weren't allowed to even eat it in the house.

message 17: by Rachel Annie (new)

Rachel Annie (snapdragoness) UniquelyMoi *Dhestiny* BlithelyBookish wrote: "I'm craving watermelon this summer. I know it's not quite exotic or anything, but I can't get enough of it!

Funny thing is, this year my desert tortoise has decided it's his favorite too, when in ..."

Lol, I read that as "dessert tortoise" at first and was very confused... My mind is on food this morning!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish @Rachel.

I won't tell poor Tom you said that! LOL!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "When we were young we weren't allowed to even eat it in the house."

We either!

message 20: by Megan (new)

Megan | 186 comments In the summer my husband grills out a lot and uses the smoker. We always have fresh watermelon, pineapple, etc. My family farms so we have sweet corn. I like to make stuff with fresh fruits and vegetables out of our garden. Everyone loves Strawberry Soup. And we make homemade ice cream using my Grandma's recipe. I love using her recipes, especially now that she has passed away. It helps to keep her memory alive.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Jessica wrote: "I love smoked brisket on the summer. My husband will break out the smoker and smoke the brisket for a good 12hrs. It's to die for."

Jealous!!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish @megan, what is Strawberry soup?

message 23: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Noir | 5 comments Does seeing hot, shirtless men count as a summer treat? If so, that's definitely one of my favorites!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Adriana wrote: "Does seeing hot, shirtless men count as a summer treat? If so, that's definitely one of my favorites!"

Who am I to say what's a treat or not? And hot, shirtless men sound lickable to me!

message 25: by Megan (new)

Megan | 186 comments UniquelyMoi *Dhestiny* BlithelyBookish wrote: "@megan, what is Strawberry soup?"

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Su...

Yummy! This is the recipe I use.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Sound delicious Megan!

message 27: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresatheduchessofread) | 91 comments I am all about a hot fudge sunday all year round. But especially in the summer. But here in Wisconsin we have them with frozen custard. Oh man, I am going to have to make my husband take me on a desert date tonight!

message 28: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

I just bought me a watermelon ☺

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "I just bought me a watermelon ☺"

And you didn't buy me one??

message 30: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

My daughter could only carry one. Sorry ☺

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 288 comments I just ate a watermelon:)

message 32: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

You ever have a yellow-meated watermelon?

Awilk -never sleeps-  (awilk) | 98 comments Summer for me is always about the fruits and desserts. Cheesecake, turtle pie, trifle etc. Such a shame as it is winter in Australia, so instead of all these treats I will have to make a chocolate sauce pudding instead.

Awilk -never sleeps-  (awilk) | 98 comments A favourite of my children when they were smaller was watermelon ice blocks. Puree watermelon and then mix into an equal quantity of softened vanilla ice cream. Pop into ice block molds and freeze. Really nice.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Pasta Salad

10 ounces (before cooking) Spiral Pasta
2 C chopped tomato - seeds removed
1-1/2 C Crumbled Feta Cheese
1/2 C Shredded Parmesan
7T Olive Oil
1 small onion finely diced
9 Basil Leaves - torn
2 Garlic Cloves - minced
1/4 t pepper

Salt and additional Pepper to taste

In a large bowl combine Olive Oil, basil, garlic, onion and ground pepper.

Cook pasta according to package, being careful not to overcook. Rinse and drain well to remove excess water.

Add pasta to the Olive Oil mix and stir well. If it's not "wet" enough, add more OO by the tablespoon until you think it's right. Add the cheeses and tomato, then mix gently.

It's best to serve it at room temperature, but it does refrigerate well. However, the pasta absorbs the olive oil and it can seem a bit dry when served chilled.

You can add bell peppers, cucumbers, olives... whatever you generally like in your pasta salads, but be sure to adjust the garlic, basil and olive oil to accommodate the extra ingredients.

message 36: by Anna D. (new)

Anna D. | 44 comments Wearing flip flops is my favorite summer treat..I'd wear it all year round, but sadly that's not possible in Chicago.

Awilk -never sleeps-  (awilk) | 98 comments That pasta salad looks great. I will have to remember it for Summer. I have just started winter, so it will be a while.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Awilk -will work for books- wrote: "That pasta salad looks great. I will have to remember it for Summer. I have just started winter, so it will be a while."

I hope you love it, too! I've decided to try using sun dried tomatoes next time!

Awilk -never sleeps-  (awilk) | 98 comments I think I will try that as well. I have a family that really likes sun dried tomatoes. Thanks for the great idea.

message 40: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Jun 10, 2013 09:12PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish You're welcome! I'm a huge SDT fan!

Not to be confused with STD!

Awilk -never sleeps-  (awilk) | 98 comments I didn't think you would be a huge fan of STD. Lol.

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 288 comments Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "You ever have a yellow-meated watermelon?"

YEP! My aunt plants those. They're so good! I don't know how to describe them.

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 288 comments Awilk -will work for books- wrote: "A favourite of my children when they were smaller was watermelon ice blocks. Puree watermelon and then mix into an equal quantity of softened vanilla ice cream. Pop into ice block molds and freeze...."

Sounds intriguing! I'll try that with my nieces:)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, wrote: "SDT?"

Sun Dried Tomatoes

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 288 comments oh lol thanks:P

message 47: by Jill (new)

Jill | 294 comments mangos!!!

Awilk -never sleeps-  (awilk) | 98 comments Oh Jill, a woman after my own heart. Mangos make our too hot summers worth it.

Awilk -never sleeps-  (awilk) | 98 comments Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, wrote: "Awilk -will work for books- wrote: "A favourite of my children when they were smaller was watermelon ice blocks. Puree watermelon and then mix into an equal quantity of softened vanilla ice cream...."

Let me know if they like them.

message 50: by Jill (new)

Jill | 294 comments @ Awilk, don't they? my hubby and daughter don't like the, but I put them in everything in summer. kebabs, salads, mango chicken, smoothies, chutney. I just love mangos.

« previous 1