Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Coffee Corner > Looking For Medieval Romance By Description

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (last edited Jun 09, 2013 09:43PM) (new)

Christine Gorton | 3 comments I am looking for a medieval romance book; I can't remember the title or author. I read it sometime in the last five years, but it was a secondhand book, so the book could be older than that.

This is what I remember about the book:

It starts with a siege on a castle by the hero. The hero is an illegitimate son of a noble. The hero has laid siege to a castle that rightfully belongs to his younger legitimate brother; the castle was stolen from him as a result of a siege when he was a child. The man who stole the castle is executed at the end of the siege, which is witnessed by his son. The son becomes the villain of the story.

The hero is a well known warrior for the king; I think he is the King's champion. He has red hair.

The next part I remember is about the heroine. She is a widow with a young son who has a deformed leg. She was often abused by the first husband. She is skulking around the castle where she lives, hiding and trying to protect her son from her stepson. A marriage is arranged between her and the hero.

At some point in the book the hero designs a special shoe for the heroine's lame son. The hero goes to London to have the shoe custom made so the son can walk and ride a horse properly; the son desperately wants to be a knight like the hero when he grows up.

Part of the storyline is about the things the villain does to the hero in secret for revenge. There is a confrontation between them near the end of the book.

At the end of the book the heroine has a baby girl who has red hair like the hero.

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine Gorton | 3 comments Bump.

message 3: by Courtney (new)

Courtney  | 337 comments Christine, have you also put this in the What's the Name of That Book??? group? There are a lot more people there who could find the book you're looking for!

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine Gorton | 3 comments I found it, it's Winter Roses by Anita Mills.

message 5: by Courtney (new)

Courtney  | 337 comments That's amazing that you found it almost 6 years later! Kudos to discovering it!