Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Themes > PTSD

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

namericanwordcat | 242 comments Do you all have suggestions for excellent books that deal with the heroine or hero having PTSD (not just should have it but clearly have the markers--flashbacks, panic, depression, sleeplessness, trust issues, hyper vigilance, shame, lack of emotion/connection, rage, nightmares and so on) with an HEA?

After reading Heart of Obsidian (Psy-Changeling, #12) by Nalini Singh and Fire Inside (Chaos, #2) by Kristen Ashley I am interested in this character trait in heroines but I realize some of my favorite heros also have PTSD. Lock from Mane Squeeze is my favorite hero of all time.

This attraction to characters with PTSD isn't shocking as I have PTSD. I have a great deal of support and have been on my healing path for some time but it is always nice to see ourselves and our healing journeys in the books we love to read. I can imagine how comforting or life changing these books featuring heros and heroines with PTSD are for those at the start of their path to healing/wellness/coping with PTSD.

One of the things I admire about K Ashely's books is the emotional truths in them about suffering and healing.

She has made some nice inroads into looking at how PTSD plays out in a relationship and best of all her characters sometimes get therapy for PTSD as well as having a loved one assist in the healing sitting alongside the fantasy aspects of her stories.

I particularly like that she explores heroines with PTSD in a couple of her books. War causes PTSD and many men and women have come home from battle with PTSD but chronic trauma, abuse, horrific accidents, kidnappings, and other horrors also cause PTSD in both men and women and it wonderful for books to make those truths more visible so that healing can begin.

Do you have suggestions for other books that deal with the heroine or heros having PTSD (not just should have it but clearly have the markers--flashbacks, panic, depression, sleeplessness, trust issues, hyper vigilance, shame, lack of emotion/connection, rage, nightmares and so on)

I have made a list of heroiones to add to

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/38...

I also made one for heros too.

http://www.goodreads.com/list/user_vo...

Thanks!

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan | 186 comments I'm currently rereading Shoulda Been a Cowboy (Rough Riders, #7) by Lorelei James and it has some PTSD scenes. I would say it kinda affects both the hero and heroine.

namericanwordcat | 242 comments It is!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 9691 comments Mod
Great idea!

namericanwordcat | 242 comments I had a good list but I figured out there is a lot of books I didn't label this way and should have--Like Spade and Denise's story. I can't even recall the title now!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 9691 comments Mod
Fiance by Friday by Catherine Bybee has a hero with PTSD.

namericanwordcat | 242 comments Cool! I am trying to know off the short stories I have setting on my TBR but I might veer off the path.

message 8: by Katerina (new)

Katerina I Am Her... by Sarah Ann Walker
This book seems to fit, but I wouldn´t say the ending is a HEA.

message 9: by Alisa (new)

Alisa Ten Tiny Breaths deals w/PTSD as a result from a drunk driving accident. Effects both hero & heroine but in different ways. She ends up in a hospital to deal w/ it so you see parts of her therapy sessions too. Very good, but heart wrenching book.

message 10: by Paganalexandria (last edited Jul 17, 2013 08:56AM) (new)

Paganalexandria  | 354 comments namericanwordcat wrote: "Do you all have suggestions for excellent books that deal with the heroine or hero having PTSD (not just should have it but clearly have the markers--flashbacks, panic, depression, sleeplessness, ..."

Hey, the male link isn't working.

message 11: by Angie Elle (new)

Angie Elle (angieelle) | 62 comments The female lead in On Dublin Street, Jocelyn, deals with PTSD after the loss of her family in a car accident. (This is in the prologue, so I'm not spoiling anything.) It's an excellent read.

On Dublin Street (On Dublin Street, #1) by Samantha Young

message 12: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 242 comments Thanks!