Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Children's Fiction > Poetry,or no poetry?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nina (new)

Nina (author_ninaslack) | 23 comments When it comes to poetry,how many actual people still like poetry? I have always been a fan of poetry,I love it...but is it a type of writing that is dying? I recently published a children's poetry book called Little Effie's Book Of Poetry http://www.amazon.com/Little-Effies-B... and I was wondering just how many poetry fans are still out there? I want to write another poetry book either way,even if there is only a small crowd of poetry fans out there. What is everyone else's thoughts? Poetry,or no poetry?

message 2: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Peltier | 71 comments I'm not sure if Loretta Livingstone is in this group or not, but she writes poetry as well. It's cute and catchy. I'm not a big fan of the flowery, deeply analytical stuff, but I'm sure there are those who are. A long time friend of mine is a poet as well and is part of a huge group of poets though I don't know where they all come from. My point is - you're not alone! :)

message 3: by Nina (new)

Nina (author_ninaslack) | 23 comments Thanks for your comment,it is very reassuring for me. I am glad that I am not alone,and that others are writing poetry as well. I remember a few years ago when I would write poetry in school,my friends would think it was so cheesy. But,I never could stop writing poetry. Thank you also for giving the name of other authors in this genre,I always love reading and discovering good reads by others. I always support authors I love and accept support from others as well. c: c: c:

message 4: by R. (new)

R. (rholland) | 102 comments Miss Nina wrote: "When it comes to poetry,how many actual people still like poetry? I have always been a fan of poetry,I love it...but is it a type of writing that is dying? I recently published a children's poetry ..."

I love writing poetry. It is what I believe made me a writer. I would always write a poem to get something off my chest and then throw it away. I think I have two poems I have kept in my life time that I hold near to my heart, but only because my English teacher told me I have a gift. I told myself if I could write poetry surely I could write a book. And so I haven't stopped writing. Just like poetry my books are not for everyone. Just a way to get things off my chest. A friend of mine read my first book and loved it saying I write like a poet. I never knew how she came to that conclusion but I'll always know that poetry is where my heart truly lies. No matter what, never stop writing where your heart truly lies. If it's any constellation, I read poetry to my own children often and they love it.

message 5: by Krista (new)

Krista D. (kristadb1) I find many children's books, particularly young readers ones meant for parents to read to their kids, are pretty much poetry. Some are simple, while others employ complex presentations and word arrangements.

I personally think poetry is a great way for children to learn how to read, plus improve their verbal skills.

message 6: by Nina (new)

Nina (author_ninaslack) | 23 comments Rolanda wrote: "Miss Nina wrote: "When it comes to poetry,how many actual people still like poetry? I have always been a fan of poetry,I love it...but is it a type of writing that is dying? I recently published a ..."

Wow,it makes me very happy that there are others out there that love poetry just as much as I do. It is great that poetry inspired you to become a writer. That's very touching how you said that poetry is where your heart truly lies. I won't ever stop writing poetry,and you should never stop writing poetry either. It has impacted your life for the good,so keep writing poems. And keep reading poems to your children,you never know...it may touch their hearts in a way that words could never express.

message 7: by Nina (new)

Nina (author_ninaslack) | 23 comments Krista wrote: "I find many children's books, particularly young readers ones meant for parents to read to their kids, are pretty much poetry. Some are simple, while others employ complex presentations and word ar..."

I agree,poetry can be very helpful for children to learn how to pronounce words,and improve their verbal skills. I know when I was a child,I loved poetry. I just loved how the words rhymed and how you could have fun writing it.

I also considered that maybe lyrics in a song are poetry. Sure some songs don't have rhyming words,but the way they are written and the way they flow makes me think it is poetry in itself.

So I guess poetry is not a dying form of writing...it is still out there. I just didn't realize it until now. c:

message 8: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2160 comments I also write poetry and look reading it. I write it frequently and my first book was a book of horror poetry. Nina you asked almost what I did once, is poetry dead? Nope its very much alive but we poets and poet lovers tend to be underground and forgotten folk. Poetry is very underrated and is not only wonderful but a very good tool of writing as well.

message 9: by Loretta (last edited Jun 10, 2013 05:42AM) (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 134 comments Heidi wrote: "I'm not sure if Loretta Livingstone is in this group or not, but she writes poetry as well. It's cute and catchy. I'm not a big fan of the flowery, deeply analytical stuff, but I'm sure there are..."

Thanks so much Heidi. I hadn't joined this group, as I had already joined so many that I am getting a bit overwhelmed, but if someone is going to say lovely things about my poetry, I thought maybe I could add just one more. Haha. So here I am, blushing and happy. Thanks for making me smile. I know not everyone will like my style of poetry, so that's a real encouragement. God bless.

message 10: by Elaine (new)

Elaine White Miss Nina wrote: "When it comes to poetry,how many actual people still like poetry? I have always been a fan of poetry,I love it...but is it a type of writing that is dying? I recently published a children's poetry ..."

I think poetry is like theatre. It's an art form that will never die. Ballet fans don't stop going to the threatre because Step Up came to movies, but Step Up does inspire people to see the real ballet done properly. I think it's all a matter of WHAT the poetry is about. If it's heartfelt, and personal then it will connect with people. I only write poetry occasionally, for myself, but as soon as I started posting it on my blog, people were eating it up. It was going down better than some of my writing.

Stick with it. Poetry will never die. We all loved it, even if we don't know it yet. :)

message 11: by Nina (new)

Nina (author_ninaslack) | 23 comments Justin wrote: "I also write poetry and look reading it. I write it frequently and my first book was a book of horror poetry. Nina you asked almost what I did once, is poetry dead? Nope its very much alive but we ..."

Yes,that is very true,Justin. Poets are underground now...it's not like in the 1800's when poets were everywhere,writing books and plays.

And I also agree that poetry is a good tool for writing. It also makes imagination flow,creativity flow,and a lot of people I have talked to have said that poetry can help young ones to read and pronounce because they have fun with the rhyming words and they catch on more easily. c:

message 12: by Nina (new)

Nina (author_ninaslack) | 23 comments Elaine wrote: "Miss Nina wrote: "When it comes to poetry,how many actual people still like poetry? I have always been a fan of poetry,I love it...but is it a type of writing that is dying? I recently published a ..."

Thank you so very much for your reassuring comment,Elaine. I liked how you used ballet as an example to relate to poetry. I have gotten my confidence up just by reading this.

I didn't know that there is still a large number of people out there that still love poetry. I am convinced now that it will never die. poetry is just too beautiful of an art form to just die.

And I will stick with it,and you do the same. We can keep poetry alive. c: c:

message 13: by Elaine (new)

Elaine White Miss Nina wrote: "Elaine wrote: "Miss Nina wrote: "When it comes to poetry,how many actual people still like poetry? I have always been a fan of poetry,I love it...but is it a type of writing that is dying? I recent..."

Yup, sounds like a plan Miss Nina :) My friend in the US actually wrote a poetry book, Poetry in Motion, and it's all about her life experiences of being homeless and trouble with her dad and finding love. It's really inspiring and that's what I see Poetry as, as a genre. It's inspiration in writing form. :)

message 14: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2160 comments Poetry is what got me into writing. It's what the first type of writing that really spoke to me in such a way that I thought 'hey I can do that too!'. Poetry is not just a tool but a way of expression. A way for a person to express their feelings and incorporate their ambitions and writing style together at the same time. I made up my own quote one day on here thats on my profile that says ''If poetry is dead then I wish to bring it back'' and thats just how I feel. But since its not dead and as long as I'm alive I shall keep poetry alive as well.

message 15: by Nina (new)

Nina (author_ninaslack) | 23 comments Elaine wrote: "Miss Nina wrote: "Elaine wrote: "Miss Nina wrote: "When it comes to poetry,how many actual people still like poetry? I have always been a fan of poetry,I love it...but is it a type of writing that ..."

It really is inspirational,isn't it? c: Your friend's book also sounds so touching and inspirational. I love when other authors write from the heart. It touches the readers more. c:

message 16: by Nina (new)

Nina (author_ninaslack) | 23 comments Justin wrote: "Poetry is what got me into writing. It's what the first type of writing that really spoke to me in such a way that I thought 'hey I can do that too!'. Poetry is not just a tool but a way of express..."

That is great that poetry got you into writing. Poetry touched my heart when I was really young. I used to write poetry in my little diary I had bought at a book fair. I wish I still had my old diary...

Poetry is a very good way to express oneself. Keep up the writing. All of us can keep poetry alive. c: c: c:

message 17: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 134 comments Miss Nina wrote: "Elaine wrote: "Miss Nina wrote: "Elaine wrote: "Miss Nina wrote: "When it comes to poetry,how many actual people still like poetry? I have always been a fan of poetry,I love it...but is it a type o..."

I'm glad you said that. Some of my poetry is based on events happening in my life at the time, so written very much from the heart. I didn't know if that was a good or bad thing.

message 18: by Nina (new)

Nina (author_ninaslack) | 23 comments Loretta wrote: "Miss Nina wrote: "Elaine wrote: "Miss Nina wrote: "Elaine wrote: "Miss Nina wrote: "When it comes to poetry,how many actual people still like poetry? I have always been a fan of poetry,I love it......"

Oh yes,it is a very good thing indeed. When authors write from personal experiences,straight from the heart,it touches the readers. Their work speaks out to all who read it,and most of the time,people can relate to what was written. I have always believed that books can change people's lives. Especially ones where the author is sincere,and writes deep,thoughtful,touching things from their hearts.

So keep writing from your heart...you will touch someone's heart in a way you never thought you could. I know I have read some very sweet,heart-whelming books in my life...and they have stuck with me for years. c: