Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monthly Read > 6/13 - Once Upon a Tower by Eloisa James (may contain spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kasey (last edited Jun 09, 2013 06:13PM) (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
Please put your comments regarding Eloisa James's newest book, Once Upon a Tower here. Happy Reading!

Note: I decided to go down to one thread since hardly anyone uses the spoiler-free one anyway. You can comment on it while you are reading about it in the Reading this Week thread instead. :)

By the way, I am so sorry this is late. I have been teaching and taking summer classes and I have not been on here much.

message 2: by Jackie Lynn (last edited Jun 17, 2013 04:10PM) (new)

Jackie Lynn (romancenovlover) I was really disappointed by his book. She is one of my favorite authors and she just let me down. The whole story felt very forced; especially the tower aspect. It did not feel natural. I also felt that her heroine was a hypocrite and a bitch. She first comes off as caring and set but turns into a crazy musician who is literally obsessed with an inanimate object. She bitches to her husband that he works too much but them goes and says that she needs so many hours to practice and nobody can bother her or else she'll release a wrath. I don't understand why her husband loved her. It seemed he loved her more than she did him. She treated him like garbage half the book. She just sucked as a character overall.

message 3: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
I, on the other hand, loved this book! I thought EJ captured powerfully and movingly the love story of a heartbreakingly young H/H. I loved her weaving together elements from Romeo and Juliet and Rapunzel. I loved that it was an intelligent book that made me laugh and cry. I adored Layla, and, as always with this author, her prose was gorgeous. I loved it so much it took me ten reasons to explain why in my review.

message 4: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
I'm really looking forward to reading it and seeing which side of the fence I land on. However, I probably won't get a chance until my summer classes end towards the end of July. It gives me something too look forward to, I guess.

message 5: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2046 comments Mod
I liked this much better than the last few. The emotional path made sense to me. They were definitely a very young couple with a young couple's mistakes.
The climbing the tower scene felt a little overdone to me. And Layla and her husband felt too old to me to make their mistakes. But Layla s speech to the duke redeemed her.

message 6: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnarichards) | 53 comments Rats! I missed the window for this book. Stupid holiday! :-)

I really enjoyed it. I think the character development was very good, and the plot (though a little silly) felt real to me. I definitely felt like I was pulled into the story, not just an outside observer, and the characters (aside from Edie's father) were likeable.

Both Edie and Gowan are good people who have had somewhat unusual childhoods, and now need to shed some of those childhood misconceptions in order to become closer to each other.

message 7: by June (new)

June (ladyjune) | 146 comments I got this when it was on sale some times ago. I think I would move it up to my to read next shelf. I'm not really sure about EJ books, I like her style but her hero or heroine kinda annoy me. I hope this would work for me :)