City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Bones discussion

Hardcover vs. Paperback

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lena Which one do you prefer???? And when you buy a series do you like to have them all matching (as in all paperbacks or all hardcovers) or does it not matter to you?

message 2: by Nae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nae I like hardcover better because paperbacks become worn with use and a hardcover book takes a lot longer to wear down. I do like to have all my books in one series be the same type, but I don't think it's like the end of the world if some are hardback and some are paperback

☽Ƹɱɱɑ☾ I like hardcovers better, because softcovers get damaged too easily.

Most of my series are half softcover and half hardcover, but I prefer it when they aren't. They're half and half because I usually start reading a series after its been out a while (with a few exceptions; I just pick up any book that looks good) and then the books at the beginning of the series are softcover. Then I have to wait for the rest of the series to come out, and as soon as they come out in stores I snatch them up. All the new ones I'm getting are hardcovers now.

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen I prefer softcover. I usually read in bed at night and they are easier to hold because of their lighter weight (especially when I start dozing off lol)

Claudia neither I prefer ebooks don't take much space and shortened then the hardcover/paperback. Though I have the hardcover issues of the first three City of Bones, City of Ashes and City of Glass.

Hannah I tend to get mostly hardcovers, but I do like my series to match so if a whole series is available in paperpack I'll probably get those because they're cheaper. I'm weird about that stuff, though. sometimes it doesn't bother me to have mix and matched ones for a series, depending on how many there are of each and how big the height difference is.

sometimes it really bugs me to the point where I have two of one book. I initially had clockwork angel in paperpack but then had clockwork prince and princess in hardcover, so I ended up buying clockwork angel again in hardcover.

Khrys Paperbacks are too delicate. I have city of bones in paperback...I think. I know the rest are hardcover though. If I get a hardcover book, then the rest of the books after it have to be hardcover too because they just don't look right on the bookshelf otherwise. So most of my series start as paperback and then progress to hardcover.

Sophie I really prefer reading hardbacks- they don't get damaged easily. But most books in the book stores (well, at least here) are mostly paperbacks. Thats why I use my Kindle :) That way they can never be damaged, and if you lose/break your Kindle, they're all saved on Amazon.com under your account! :)

Anna In my country books don't come out in hardcover, so I have to buy them in paperback. But I don't mind it, the paper cover is actually pretty thick and durable, and it's kind of like the jacket for the hardcover. However, I've started buying books in english from the Internet, and I always choose the hardcover ones. The paperbacks are not really good, and I don't really mind paying 1 or 2 more dollars if that means that I have a more durable copy.

Rachel If I am in absolute love with a series I buy hardcover( like city of bones :) But if its just a series I really like I buy paperback

message 11: by Cat (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cat I'm like Emma because my books are half and half. I have the first three mortal Instruments books in paperback because they are old and come that way, and the rest of the books from City of Fallen Angels on are hardcover.
Now, like Jen, I actually do like paperback better even though it's very delicate because I like to read every night before going to bed and it's pretty tiring to hold a hardcover book up. Also, I had a pet peeve for book jackets because I hate it when they get even the slightest bit dented or scratched, so I never actually have it on the hardcover book. That annoys me because I love being able to see my book covers, so I prefer paperback.

message 12: by kim. (new) - rated it 3 stars

kim. I definitely prefer hardcover books to paperback because they're not damaged as easily (although it's not hard to accidentally rip a dust jacket, which is why I always remove that while I'm reading). When I'm buying a series, I try to get them all in hardback or all in paperback; I don't like my series being a mix of the two, but sometimes they end up that way.

Pranshu Hardcover, definitely. If I'm going to buy a series, then they all have to be the same (if it's possible).

Hannah i prefer reading paperbacks as they feel more comfortable in your hands, aren't as heavy and are therefore easier to read with in bed. Although hardbacks to stay intact for longer and i am one of those freaks who hates bending a books spine.

Kelly Paperback or kindle. Generally, I can't afford the hardcover unless I've bought it used.

Mariana Hardcover, because it stays pretty and intact for longer.

message 17: by TT (new)

TT I'm surprised at how many prefer hardbacks, to my mind they are so expensive, would take up a lot of room on my bookshelf and were a bit unwieldy when I just want to curl and lounge in my reading spots. With paperbacks I could just cart ‘em around in my purse, easy peasy! Now I just use my ereader though and it's only a 5 inch screen, small and lightweight and versatile. When I lay in bed at night reading, I don’t keep dropping it either! LOL.

Donna Painter Kelly wrote: "Paperback or kindle. Generally, I can't afford the hardcover unless I've bought it used."

www.thriftbooks.com Love this site. The books are super cheap and free shipping on all orders. I think the most I ever paid for a book was like $6. If you never used this site before you should try it.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I've always preferred paper back.

1.) Cheaper
2.) Lighter
3.) Can't lose the cover

message 20: by Delaney (last edited Jun 13, 2013 11:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Delaney I Hate Hard cover, I've got a nasty and rather expensive habit of buying my books when they first come out in hardcover then re-buying them when they come out in paperback. Saddest thing about that is I have a damn ereader, and I still even buying them on that, if I find them on sale in paperback I will re-buy them. I like to have them all in order on my shelf so I can see all that I have! God i think i'm a book geek!

Nikki I don't like hard covers with a wrapping on it , I have to take that off so it doesn't get damaged, but I do prefer soft covers because they can fit into a small bag and you can take them out with you

message 22: by TT (new)

TT Delaney wrote: "I Hate Hard cover, I've got a nasty and rather expensive habit of buying my books when they first come out in hardcover then re-buying them when they come out in paperback. Saddest thing about that..."

I've done that a time or two with a book release i couldnt wait for-buy it in hardback, sell it on eBay when it comes out in paperback and repurchase-still lost money on it overall. With ebooks its one stop shop, problem is now new releases are getting to be as expensive as a hardback.

Delaney Teetee wrote: "Delaney wrote: "I Hate Hard cover, I've got a nasty and rather expensive habit of buying my books when they first come out in hardcover then re-buying them when they come out in paperback. Saddest ..."
To true, with regards to ebooks, and i've never sold anything on ebay, would I get more than 1/2 the cover price? as I do with trade-in??

Chantelle i mainly read on my kindle.... i hosetly dont care, but if i dont read it on my kindle then mainly paper back cause there cheaper

message 25: by TT (new)

TT @Delaney - if you buy a book as soon as it comes out, say you read it over the week end or the first week its out, then you can turn around and sell it for a decent profit on eBay from savy buyers trying to save a buck. Problem is, by the time eBay takes a cut and then Paypal (owned by eBay, doncha know) takes a cut, you kinda lose out. But its still better than owning two copies of the same book and NO money. LOL

message 26: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena my only issue with paperback is that the covers tend to bend really easily and it's annoying to have a book cover sticking up all the time

Jahnavi Hardcover because though I take very good care of my books, sometimes, I accidentally fold the cover when I set a book down if it's paperback and then it tends to leave a big, white, nasty crease on it. Also, hardcover is good because if you ever get tired of looking at the title page, like I sometimes do, you can just take off the jacket, and then voila! Blank title page! I know that may sound weird, but sometimes the cover pages of books aren't that appealing and can make me lose my opinion of the book even if it's a really good one. So, yep. I like hardcovers better.

Addee Fiction-paperback... easier to hold in bed & I love it when they look old & worn. I do have some irresisible, can't wait, pre-orderd hardcovers, but I find they are a pain in the arse to get comfortable with.

Non Fiction-hardcover.... I have heaps of reference books on animals & human anatomy & physiology, the hard covers protect the books better & usually are bigger, better for pic's & diagrams.

Claudia I prefer hardcover because the spine on the paperback gets all cracked and damaged, so when they are in the bookshelf after I have read them they look all torn and it makes it look like I don't look after them properly. Hardcovers for me are also easier to read just because you can't bend the shape of the book. I, however still have a few paperbacks only because some authors don't publish them in Hardcover.
It may also sound weird but I love the look of the blank cover page when you take the dust cover/ jacket off.

Delaney Teetee wrote: "@Delaney - if you buy a book as soon as it comes out, say you read it over the week end or the first week its out, then you can turn around and sell it for a decent profit on eBay from savy buyers ..."
Too true, I usually do a trade at my favorite book store for half the cover price. And since hard covers are always more expensive it works out okay

♪♫Gloria♫♪ I like hardcover, but if i'm trying out a new series I'll get a paperback. If I like it, I'll buy the rest of the series in hardcover.

Mikaela I usually buy books in paperback and if I really like them I'll get them in hardcover.

Nellie ☾ I prefer paperbacks for the reason that they're cheaper and lighter. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a hardcover. I just wrap my paperbacks in plastic cover and so far they still look good as new after I read them :)