Summer of the Wake discussion

Week 2 (pp. 31-60)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aroon (new)

Aroon | 30 comments Mod
On to Chapter 2!

message 2: by Melting (new)

Melting Uncle (meltinguncle) | 13 comments Really enjoying this book, even the parts that I can't understand. My strategy is to try to glean as much as I can before consulting any secondary sources... and even then, to use secondary sources sparingly. It's more fun for me to puzzle over it rather than to have it all laid out by somebody who has read the book before. I will say, though, that its very helpful to have a basic idea of the characters and plot from the various introductions, articles, FAQs, guides etc. that are around.

Also, if I read this book for a couple of hours before going to bed I end up having really bizarre FW-esque dreams (???)

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol (clerner2) | 15 comments I have been reading five or six pages each night before going to sleep. That half-awake-on-the-page-and-start-to-dream-the-plot thing that I do when I am falling asleep makes so much more sense when reading the Wake!

message 4: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (metafiltersbrwife) | 31 comments I'm catching up on some FW reading and savoring the tale of how HCE's alleged misdoings are gossiped all over town, including these two gems:

"the wetter is pest, the renns are overt and come and the voax of the turfur is hurled on our lande"

and the reference to Treacle Tom drinking "divers tots of hell fire," including the annotated explanation that Hell Fire is an actual drink, made up of 1/3 shot tequila, a dash of Tabasco, 1/3 shot of chili vodka, and 1/3 shot of "red aftershock." I can't believe this drink actually existed in Joyce's time.

message 5: by Aroon (new)

Aroon | 30 comments Mod
I'm not the only one having FW-inspired dreams?! Phew. I feel like this book has been rearranging my brain.

I just finished "The Ballad of Persse O'Reilly" at the end of Chapter 2, and it's all kinds of amazing. Probably the funnest section so far.

message 6: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (metafiltersbrwife) | 31 comments I checked YouTube and found some great renditions of the ballad. I liked this one best. Freddi Price: The Ballad of Persse O'Reilly www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOX8cXn-Sq4

message 7: by Melting (new)

Melting Uncle (meltinguncle) | 13 comments That Freddie Price version is great! I like this Ronnie Drew version, though he does leave out a few verses, I think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eyEd6...

message 8: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (metafiltersbrwife) | 31 comments I liked the Ronnie Drew as well. He's got the perfect accent and voice.

message 9: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Nash | 14 comments Strangely I seem to be having a hard time with chapter two. I'll find the start of a sentence or paragraph, and "ok, I got this" and things are good for a while, loving the wordplay, but then things just get murkier and murkier as the "sentence" rolls on and on, with parenthetical interjections and so forth - and next thing I know it's a page later and I realize I have NO IDEA what any of the phrases are describing. So I back up and start over, and maybe make it a little farther, but often not... so then it becomes "ok, let's skip to the next section" and repeat.

(It's not helping that it's been a stressful week and I haven't had much time to read.)

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol (clerner2) | 15 comments I am having a hard time too, and I agree with your sentiments entirely! Where am I? It seems to me that this chapter is explaining some of the history of HCE, and the history of the regretful incident in Phoenix Park. I am viewing it like I am just wandering into conversations an opinions and events that took part in his life with no context as to who is speaking and acting. I believe Joyce encapsulates my thoughts on page 48: "Of the persins sin this Eyrawyggla saga (which, thorough readable to int from and, is from tubb to buttom all falsetissues, antilibellous and nonactionable and this applies to its whole wholume)..."

message 11: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (metafiltersbrwife) | 31 comments I am tracking pretty well, thanks mostly to the really excellent plot summary in this Wikipedia article -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnegan..., as well as the two handy plot summary links from Aroon (naju), the Oxford edition summary here http://books.google.com/books?id=xcWk... and the "working outline" here http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi-...

message 12: by Melting (new)

Melting Uncle (meltinguncle) | 13 comments The parenthetical interjections can be really confusing and sometimes throw me off completely. Oftentimes I find myself going over the longer sentences and just trying to figure out where the subject, verb and object of the sentence are. Once I get a good idea of what's going on with the syntax/grammar of the sentence, it's easier for me to try to figure out what the narrative context might be.

Its great when I feel like I'm "solving the puzzles" and some kind of sense is emerging from the text, but a lot of times it is completely baffling. I guess what's interesting to me is that different readers are going to have different levels of tolerance for a feeling of being really confused and not knowing what's going on. There's a certain point where I say "Ok, I've got some sense of what's going on here even though I know there's a lot I'm not getting. But I'm ready to move on to the next page."

message 13: by Melting (new)

Melting Uncle (meltinguncle) | 13 comments The plot summary at the beginning of the Oxford edition has been really helpful for me.

message 14: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (metafiltersbrwife) | 31 comments I am reading more fluidly but to unpeel the incredibly layered meaning of the text, still finding www.finwake.com incredibly helpful.