Young Writers discussion

Writing Contests > Writing Contest- June 9th to 22nd

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ (last edited Jun 09, 2013 03:31PM) (new)

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 3061 comments Okay guys.
This song is called the Cossack Lullaby. It's one of my favorite things to listen to in the world (even though I understand very little Russian) because of how soothing it is.
here's the link to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU8rB_...
The thing is, though, the lyrics aren't really what you'd think a lullaby would be about. I'm putting them in here too.
Sleep, my fine young baby
Lullabye, a-bye.
Quietly the clear moon looks down
Into your cradle
I will tell you stories,
I will sing you a song,
Sleep on, close your eyes,
Lullabye, a-bye.

The Terek runs over its rocky bed
And splashes its dark wave;
A sly brigand crawls along the bank
Sharpening his dagger;
But your father is an old warrior
Hardened in battle;
So sleep, my darling, undisturbed,
Lullaby a-bye.

The time will come, you will learn for yourself
The soldier's way of life,
Boldly you'll place your foot in the stirrup
And grasp your rifle.
Your fighting saddle I myself
Will embroider with silk
Sleep, my darling, my own one,
Lullaby a-bye.

Such a fine warrior you'll be to look at,
And a cossack in your soul.
I will watch you go, see you on your way,
And you'll wave your hand.
How many bitter tears silently
I will weep on that night when you go.
Sleep my angel, sweetly, softly,
Lullaby a-bye.

you guys can do this really loosely. so, you can write about just what the lullaby makes you think of or the lyrics or both.
also, for the people who don't have youtube (*cough* taylor *cough*) the song is Cossack Lullaby by Oleg Pogudin.
YAY SO GET WRITING, GUYS.

message 2: by Grace (new)

Grace (Fives) | 1090 comments Darn, this is going to be hard!

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 3061 comments Grace wrote: "Darn, this is going to be hard!"

sorry. should i change it, then? it can be a really loose connection to the prompt though.

message 4: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments Don't change it! I love it!

message 5: by Grace (new)

Grace (Fives) | 1090 comments Sam~ on sleepless roads the sleepless go~ wrote:
"sorry. should i change it, then? it can be a really loose connection to the prompt though."

No, you don't need to change it!!!

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 3061 comments alright. i'm really excited, this is one of my favorite songs and ahhh. yeah. :D

message 7: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments That's a really beautiful song.

message 8: by Grace (last edited Jun 11, 2013 02:22PM) (new)

Grace (Fives) | 1090 comments Okay, okay, this stinks, but it's what I wrote.
It's short and I have no idea what it is.
It's just what I thought of writing when I read the lyrics.

The Moon is full. Baby sleeps, undisturbed. Father is in a war. Mother is there.
Dreams are soft. Cradles are rocked. Stories are sung. Battles are fought.
Baby will be like his father. Fighting wars. With a great big sword.
Mother is here for Baby. To watch him go.
Mother will weep, silent tears. With a smile on her face.
Mother will keep Baby safe. Baby, Mother's little angel, sleep so softly.
Mother will sing Baby a Lullaby a-bye.
Mother's little warrior.
Mother smiles at the full moon. The stars shine so bright, for Baby and Mother.
Baby and Mother sleep, wrapped with silk.
The Moon smiles down. And they dream.
And they dream...

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 3061 comments yay first entry! thanks, grace:D

message 10: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments Ah yeah I'm not that fast. This may take about a week xD

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 3061 comments Sevania wrote: "Ah yeah I'm not that fast. This may take about a week xD"

as long as you enter, i'm happy haha:D

message 12: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments I will!

message 13: by Taylor (new)

Taylor I may or may not have found a way to get YouTube, btw. >:)

So we're allowed to do poetry? If so, the only question is who will come in second. :D

message 14: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Sam~ on sleepless roads the sleepless go~ wrote: "Okay guys.
This song is called the Cossack Lullaby. It's one of my favorite things to listen to in the world (even though I understand very little Russian) because of how soothing it is.
here's t..."

Ooh good prompt.

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 3061 comments Taylor [Relationship status: In love] wrote: "I may or may not have found a way to get YouTube, btw. >:)

So we're allowed to do poetry? If so, the only question is who will come in second. :D"

i don't know what the actual rules are. i'm find with it, but i know yue said no to it last contest... i'm not sure if that was because she personally didn't want it or it was a rules thing.

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 3061 comments Yue [Wonder of living] wrote: "It's no poetry according to "the rules", but if you want to, it doesn't matter. I mean, you're the judge.:P"

okay cool. taylor, i think i'd prefer if you did a story, but if you'd really rather do poetry, you can do that. :)

message 17: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Well, slam poetry does have a storytelling aspect to it.

Could I, ah, make a YouTube video of me performing my submission and post that?

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 3061 comments i think i'd rather you just wrote it. i don't want to judge it any differently then any of the other submissions, so.

message 19: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Oh, that's right. Can't have my sexy face swaying your judgement. :P

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 3061 comments Taylor [Relationship status: In love] wrote: "Oh, that's right. Can't have my sexy face swaying your judgement. :P"

HAHAHAHA nope, we wouldn't want that.

message 21: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments That's right, no unfair advantages.

message 22: by Lucie (new)

Lucie (lucielu) | 71 comments can i use a direct quote from the lyrics in my story?

message 23: by Grace (new)

Grace (Fives) | 1090 comments 11 days until the contest is over!!
(Just telling everybody that, because some may not remember...)

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 3061 comments Lucie wrote: "can i use a direct quote from the lyrics in my story?"

lucie, i'd honestly rather you didn't. because then it's like your using the song instead of making up your own words, and the contest is all about creating your own story, not using the lyrics in your story. you know?

message 25: by Sevania (last edited Jun 11, 2013 11:14PM) (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments DARN IT SAM there goes my idea.

message 26: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Yeah, I was thinking of translating the lyrics into French and posting those because French is even sexier than I am. :P

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 3061 comments Sevania wrote: "DARN IT SAM there goes my idea."

sorry. i mean, i don't want to make you guys crazy. PM me your idea?

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 3061 comments Taylor [Relationship status: In love] wrote: "Yeah, I was thinking of translating the lyrics into French and posting those because French is even sexier than I am. :P"

well, i knew something had to be sexier. :p

message 29: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Yeah, there's not much. But French is. :P

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 3061 comments Taylor [Relationship status: In love] wrote: "Yeah, there's not much. But French is. :P"

so then what would i do if you spoke french? i probably wouldn't be able to handle it lmao.

message 31: by Taylor (new)

Taylor I can speak Spanish…is that close enough? :P

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 3061 comments @lucie, if you have a specific idea in mind you can PM me too and i'll tell you if it's fine.

Sam~~ we cannot see the moon, and yet the waves still rise~~ | 3061 comments Taylor [Relationship status: In love] wrote: "I can speak Spanish…is that close enough? :P"

nope. i'm sorry, that doesn't cut it. ;)

message 34: by Taylor (new)

Taylor *buys Rosetta Stone for French*

Maria [the clockwork creeps on useless lives] (mariachhile) | 8772 comments Mod
So I have a story! The lullaby reminded me of midnight mass at my Catholic church, so I wrote about that, so it's slightly religious. But it is a story, so be happy about it!

She walked in on the set stone steps of the cathedral. It had been too long since she had visited. Too long since she’d set foot in any church, for that matter. Eight years. No, ten. Ten years had passed from the day she got scared off by the gentle singing and preaching and silent prayers.

Midnight mass had already begun its ghostly service. She was twenty minutes late. The snow had been vicious, clouding her dashboard and leaning on a blizzard. It wasn’t required that she went to church, but a little tickle in her ear whispered that just this once, she had to. That night was the whitest Christmas she would have in years, but it was the last time she would put in such an effort to go back to the place that haunted her mind with wonderful and terrible memories.

Every sound she made echoed throughout the chambers of the chapel, making her acutely aware of how she sniffled from her cold every few seconds and how her old winter boots squeaked against the hard floor. It clashed terribly with the angelic singing coming from the choirs, and the gentle silence from everybody’s heads lay on the shoulder of a loved one.

The ladies all wore their prettiest dresses and had their hair smoothly brushed to perfection. The men had on three piece suits, with ties that for once were neatly knotted. All the disturbed their perfect beauty were the dolled up babies who had long ago fallen asleep on their parents’ chests. It was the best sleep that they were going to get all year. The choir was superior to any lullaby. The silence was real; it twisted around the singers and the coughs and was not made simply of the lack of noise. It built itself around it.

The girl, or a woman, she supposed she had to call herself now, didn’t have a loved one to lay her shoulder on so she found a place on a pew a few feet away from a pleasant looking lady and her daughter. The cathedral wasn’t as packed as she remembered. Her memories consisted of pews packed so close that she had to become very good friends with the smelly man sitting right next her. This could be better. It could be worse. There was something comfortable about being with a group of strangers who are all the same for just a few hours.

The bulk of the service began. She stood and sat down and knelt as she was instructed. People’s eyes occasionally diverted to her worn out jeans and raggedy jacket. Then they would look away and let her sing and speak and fold her hands in prayer, because for the night they could be nice. They could get rid of the dirty looks. That was the most comforting thing about Christmas in the cathedral.

An hour had passed, or maybe an hour and a half. She didn’t know. She didn’t care. She was drifting off to sleep as the service progressed minute by minute, or hour by hour. Her eyelids were fighting against the will to stay open. Half asleep she heard the Lord’s Prayer begin. Even if she was not fully awake, her lips could form every word.

“Our Father, who art in heaven…”

The girl let her posture go and her back slumped into the hard surface of the pew.

“Hallowed by thy name.”

Her fingernails found their way into her pockets and gripped the inside as hard as she could. Her teeth found her way to her teeth to hold on.

“Thy kingdom come…”

Her eyelids squeezed towards each other, not from sleepiness but to prevent herself from crying. To prevent herself from making any noise.

“Thy will be done…”

Fingernails searched deeper and teeth drew blood, and a few teardrops snuck past her eyelids’ shields.

“On earth as it is in heaven.”

She couldn’t do it. Not this time. She opened one eye to steal a glance at the kind woman. Her head was bowed and her hands were safely held in her daughter’s. They looked beautiful, that night. The girl almost wished she could get the energy to look that beautiful on Christmas.

“Give us this day our daily bread…”

A surge of hate hit her full force and she knew she had to escape. She felt the silence swirling around the choirs and the preacher and wrapping itself around her throat. This was not a safe place anymore. She shouldn't have forgotten.

“And forgive us our trespasses…”

She realized that the choirs had stopped singing a few minutes ago, and she let the silence fly away into the emptiness to fill it and suddenly she could breathe again.

“As we forgive those who trespass against us…”

Screams of loss and longing were held back by just a thin layer on her throat and a small ounce of self control. She needed to get out, she needed to break this before she finished.

“And lead us not into temptation…”

She wished and she begged for something to lead her into temptation just to spite everybody in the room. They all looked so happy. She was happy for them, in a technical sense. She just couldn’t feel it. Every single one of them was like a contented child, in those few hours at the end of December. Safe and warm and heads full of sweets and family or friends or whatever they had. The first few hours of Christmas. The most wonderful time of their year.

“But deliver us from evil…”

Maybe she could feel like a child again, if she strained to reach all the way back to the times when she was four and five, when this was the safe place for her to fall asleep on her parents’ shoulders.

“Amen.”

“Amen,” she whispered a moment later, and her eyes dropped close, thrusting her into a sudden sleep. Dreams invaded and waited in line. Some about the time at Christmas when she hid in the closet for hours because she was too afraid to go out into the fighting. Some from way back when, with she and her cousins exchanging giggles as they watched grandpa try to fit into his new shirt.

Asleep, she could be like a child. She didn’t wake up until five the next morning, with a blanket laid over her shoulders and a coat under her head to serve as a pillow. For the first time in 12 years, she knelt down and crossed her hands and said a prayer that she truly believed would go to somebody who needed it.

message 37: by Katarina (new)

Katarina | 491 comments It was a cold night on the Wasinbu reserve. I just had my cubs a few nights ago. Today, I had to leave the reserve, it was the hardest thing a wolf could do. The hardest thing anybody would ever think about doing, has to be done. I faced the reality that night.
Before I left, I licked my cubs, told them that I loved them, and I told them to listen to their aunt.I told them when they see me, it might be a while. I knew after tonight I may never see my cubs again. They will have to be brave beyond their years, and possibly live with out me.
It's hard to think about, maybe that was the end to me. My head wasn't in it. I was worrying about my cubs in a war. How stupid of me. I should have trusted my ancestors to watch my children if I didn't come back. I'm too pre-cautious. I should have followed the clan code.
I trust in the clan,
I am one in the clan,
I am trusted in the clan.

If I would have come back with any joy of coming back I would have been put to death, because I didn't trust in the clan. I guess it was better this way. I was once a warrior and always a warrior.

message 38: by Katarina (new)

Katarina | 491 comments Sorry, when I thought about it instantly, I thought of wolves.
I know my story is very vague I wanted to describe the way the main character died but, it was either gory or it didn't happen at all. So, yes..

message 39: by Katarina (new)

Katarina | 491 comments Maria is going to win....

XD!

message 40: by Sevania (last edited Jun 19, 2013 11:44PM) (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments Don't make assumptions... I haven't posted mine yet.

That sounded super awful. I'm sorry. I don't mean that.

message 41: by Katarina (new)

Katarina | 491 comments Sevania wrote: "Don't make assumptions... I haven't posted mine yet.

That sounded super awful. I'm sorry. I don't mean that."

Sorry sev... I didn't realize....

message 42: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Ooh…was that trash-talking I heard?

Well, you're going DOWN!

Not because of me, though…I'm not entering this one….

message 43: by Katarina (new)

Katarina | 491 comments Taylor [Relationship status: In love] wrote: "Ooh…was that trash-talking I heard?

Well, you're going DOWN!

Not because of me, though…I'm not entering this one…."

Who was trash talking?

message 44: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Sevania was.

message 45: by Katarina (new)

Katarina | 491 comments Oh OK.... I was kinda lost for a second there.... so y aren't u entering....

message 46: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Not enough time for writing. I finished another writing project last night, and that was after fighting for time to write for the last two months…I just have too much going on right now with getting ready to move out in August. And this prompt isn't an easy one for me to just sit down and fly through a few thousand words.

message 47: by Katarina (new)

Katarina | 491 comments Taylor [Relationship status: In love] wrote: "Not enough time for writing. I finished another writing project last night, and that was after fighting for time to write for the last two months…I just have too much going on right now with gettin..."

Oh... I see... I wrote mine in 15 minutes at the most. I guess that's y they stink.. I have visions in my head and I rush them into typing and I forget to write parts of it.... my ADHD

message 48: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments I'M SORRY!

message 49: by Grace (new)

Grace (Fives) | 1090 comments Queen Sevania!! You have to hurry!! It's ending tomorrow!!

message 50: by Katarina (new)

Katarina | 491 comments Yea Sev!

« previous 1