Gore and More discussion

Authors > Brian Keene

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I've only read one of his books, Ghoul by Brian Keene which I enjoyed very much. I find Keene titles hard to come by at my local library and Barnes&Noble. Could this be because he was with the now defunct Leisure publishing company?

Dead Sea is one I really want to read.

message 2: by Kevin (last edited Jun 10, 2013 04:52PM) (new)

Kevin (spiralcity) | 406 comments Mod
Kyle wrote: "I've only read one of his books, Ghoul by Brian Keene which I enjoyed very much. I find Keene titles hard to come by at my local library and Barnes&Noble. Could this be because he was with the ..."

If you have a Nook or Kindle, Dead Sea and Castaways should be available.

Dead Sea at B&N: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dead-...

Castaways: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/casta...

Both books are well worth reading.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't have a Nook or a Kindle, Kevin. Thanks anyway.

message 4: by William (new)

William (wmcc) I just finished Tequila's Sunrise by Brian Keene today and really enjoyed it.This is an awesome collection of short stories,if you're a big Keene fan,you will love the main story as his Labyrinth mythos from previous books are all here.

Kyle,I have ordered from this site and they are pretty good.
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Searc...

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

William wrote: "I just finished Tequila's Sunrise by Brian Keene today and really enjoyed it.This is an awesome collection of short stories,if you're a big Keene fan,you will love the main story as his Labyri..."

Thanks, William, but I order from Amazon.com

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kyle wrote: "William wrote: "I just finished Tequila's Sunrise by Brian Keene today and really enjoyed it.This is an awesome collection of short stories,if you're a big Keene fan,you will love the main sto..."

Kyle,
Amazon owns Abes Books.

message 7: by William (last edited Jun 22, 2013 12:28AM) (new)

William (wmcc) I think in the not so distant future buying books and movies from anyone other than amazon is going to be very difficult.I do like amazon,the choice and at the moment the price is excellent,but there is just something about a big corporation taking over that doesn't sit too well with me.

message 8: by Kevin (last edited Jun 22, 2013 12:44PM) (new)

William wrote: "I think in the not so distant future buying books and movies from anyone other than amazon is going to be very difficult.I do like amazon,the choice and at the moment the price is excellent,but the..."

Yea, Amazon is now a MONSTER and something should be done.They basically have monopolized this market making it impossible for others to compete with them.

Now they own Goodreads! It just never ends.

I wonder why Barnes and Noble haven't tried buying up some sites such as this, they always seem a step behind. I have a feeling they will be the next to fall, and that fall is coming soon.

message 9: by William (new)

William (wmcc) Just started Terminal by Brian Keene .I hope this brilliant author is busy writing!!!I'm starting to run low on his books.

message 10: by Kevin (new)

William wrote: "Just started Terminal by Brian Keene.I hope this brilliant author is busy writing!!!I'm starting to run low on his books."

He hasn't produced as much work as you would expect. Perhaps he's just a bit slow with ideas.

message 11: by William (new)

William (wmcc) He was very prolific when he was on leisure,I'm sure he had a couple of books out a year.I remember reading he wasn't in the best of health,so i suppose that puts everything into perspective.

The last time i read his blog he was planning on writing a series based on his labyrinth mythos!!!if all goes to plan,it will be well worth the wait.

message 12: by JDB (new)

JDB | 64 comments He has a ton of short stories, that's for sure. I would like to see some full length novels start to hit the market. I hope his health isn't an issue. He's not that old, I would hate for something bad to happen to him.

message 13: by William (new)

William (wmcc) I think it was a heart attack he had a couple of years ago,and yeah,i hope he's doing okay now.

Most of my favorite's by Keene have been novellas or short stories.I do agree though,it would be good if he started releasing a few full length novels.It would be nice to have a few stories that are going to take longer than a day to finish.

message 14: by Kevin (last edited Aug 25, 2013 02:15PM) (new)

Oh man, I hope his health is better. We already lost Laymon to a heart attack, I don't want to lose Keene also.

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Eugene wrote: "Brian has plenty of novels and I highly doubt he's lacking on ideas. This man is awesome! Check out Dark Hollow, Castaways, A gathering of crows, Urban Gothic, Darkness on the edge of town and many..."

Hi Eugene,
I'm very aware of Brian Keene's catalogue. He's been writing for quite some time, it feels as though there should be a few more full novels to choose from, but unfortunately this isn't the case.

I don't think anyone replying to this thread doubts that Brian Keene is a good writer.

message 16: by William (last edited Aug 31, 2013 01:35AM) (new)

William (wmcc) Yeah,we're all Brian Keene fans here.I'm currently working my way through everything he has out,which was why i was hoping a new release was imminent.Brian's last full novel was "A Gathering of Crows" which was over 3 years ago.

message 17: by JDB (new)

JDB | 64 comments Is Brian working on something new? I've been waiting for anew release.

message 18: by William (new)

William (wmcc) According to his blog from the beginning of the year Suburban Gothic the sequel to Urban Gothic was due for release in the second half of this year!!Here's hoping.

message 19: by JDB (new)

JDB | 64 comments Thanks William. I'll be waiting for this.

message 20: by Karl (new)

Karl The newest books by Keene are supposed to be released in November from Thunderstorm Books and they are "The Rising 10th Anniversary edition" by Brian Keene, "The Last of the Albatwitches" by Brian Keene

Here is a list of the Keene books that I have read I hope it helps you find any of these books as I have included the publication date and the publisher ...
Keene Brian 2003 Fear Of Gravity Delirium Books Stories
Keene Brian 2004 Terminal Bloodletting Press Horror
Keene Brian 2004 The Rising: Necrophobia Delirium Books Anthology
Keene Brian 2005 Terminal Bantam Horror
Keene Brian 2006 Take The Long Way Home Necessary Evil Press Horror
Keene Brian 2006 The Rutting Season Bloodletting Press Horror
Keene Brian 2007 Dead Sea Delirium Books Horror
Keene Brian 2007 Ghoul Delirium Books Horror
Keene Brian 2007 Tequila's Sunrise Bloodletting Press Horror
Keene Brian 2007 The Rising : Death in Four Colors Delirium Books Horror
Keene Brian 2007 The Rising: Selected Scenes Delirium Books Horror
Keene Brian 2008 Earthworm Gods: Selected Scenes Delirium Books Horror
Keene Brian 2008 Ghostwalk Delirium Books Horror
Keene Brian 2008 Kill Whitey Cemetery Dance Horror
Keene Brian 2008 Killing Stages Cemetery Dance Chapbook
Keene Brian 2008 Terminal : The Play Morning Star Horror
Keene Brian 2009 Castaways Bloodletting Press Horror
Keene Brian 2009 New Dark Voices II Delirium Books Anthology
Keene Brian 2009 Unhappy Endings Delirium Books Stories
Keene Brian 2009 Urban Gothic Bloodletting Press Horror
Keene Brian 2010 A Gathering Of Crows Thunderstorm Books Horror
Keene Brian 2010 Clickers III : Dagon Rising Delirium Books Horror
Keene Brian 2010 Dust Thunderstorm Books
Keene Brian 2010 Girl On A Glider Cemetery Dance Horror
Keene Brian 2010 Leader Of The Banned Thunderstorm Books Horror
Keene Brian 2010 Scratch Cemetery Dance Horror
Keene Brian 2010 The Cage Cemetery Dance Horror
Keene Brian 2010 The Rising : Deliverence Thunderstorm Books Horror
Keene Brian 2011 A Conspiracy Of One) Thunderstorm Books Horror
Keene Brian 2011 Alone Thunderstorm Books Horror
Keene Brian 2011 Dead Sea Deadlite Press Horror
Keene Brian 2011 Entombed 422/500 Camelot Books Horror
Keene Brian 2011 Take The Long Way Home Deadlite Press Horror
Keene Brian 2012 An Occurrence in Crazy Bear Valley Deadlite Press
Keene Brian 2012 Bad Dreams (Ray Garton , Douglas Clegg) Cemetery Dance
Keene Brian 2012 Clickers vs Zombies Morning Star Horror
Keene Brian 2012 Earthworm Goods II: Deluge Thunderstorm Books
Keene Brian 2012 Sundancing Thunderstorm Books

message 21: by Mharper (new)

Mharper Harper (harp) I'm in the middle of Kill Whitey. It is pretty good, a little different than his other stuff. What I like about Keene is that he is a blue-collar writer, in that his protagonists are warehouse workers, drink beer, and generally fit what most others would call "losers". They aren't superstars, super soldiers, or super anything. Keene treats them with an easy respect that is often not found in books. You know, I think I'll drink a beer for Keene right now in celebration.

message 22: by William (new)

William (wmcc) Thanks for the info Karl.

message 23: by Kevin (new)

Thanks for the great list. many of those books posted are novellas and I read quite a few of them.

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Mharper wrote: "I'm in the middle of Kill Whitey. It is pretty good, a little different than his other stuff. What I like about Keene is that he is a blue-collar writer, in that his protagonists are warehouse wo..."

I loved Kill Whitey, I have a limited edition signed and numbered copy. I never touched this version, it sits in a case on my book shelf, I also have a version on my Nook which I did read.

message 25: by JDB (new)

JDB | 64 comments Kill Whitey by Brian Keene

;-)

message 26: by William (new)

William (wmcc) I thought this looked interesting,new material from Keene.I can't wait.

THE LOST LEVEL and HOLE IN THE WORLD – Status Update
Fingers crossed, but it looks like I’ll finish my new novel, THE LOST LEVEL, later this week. I’m starting the last chapter today.

THE LOST LEVEL isn’t a horror or crime novel. It’s more of an ode to things like Edgar Rice Burrough’s PELLUCIDAR, Joe Lansdale’s THE DRIVE-IN, Mike Grell’s WARLORD, and of course, Sid and Marty Krofft’s LAND OF THE LOST. I’ve grown up reading and loving that stuff, but writing them… writing them is an entirely different skill set than what I’m accustomed to. I’ve stepped outside of my comfort-zone, challenged myself, and as a result, it’s taken me a LOT longer to finish this one than I’d originally conceived. The downside to that is I kept the publisher waiting, and blew the deadline. And then, because of that combined with an influx of shit I couldn’t control (like a winter storm reducing my home to rubble), I blew all my other deadlines.

Another downside is that my delay on THE LOST LEVEL cause a delay on other new novel, HOLE IN THE WORLD. The two books are very much tied-in together. I began writing HOLE IN THE WORLD first, but when I was about halfway through the first draft, I realized that events from THE LOST LEVEL would directly influence HOLE IN THE WORLD, and therefore, I needed to finish the former before I could complete the latter. The good news is that I’ve begun working on HOLE IN THE WORLD again now, and since that book was already halfway completed, it shouldn’t take as long now.

Although THE LOST LEVEL is very different than my other work, it still ties in strongly with the rest of my overall Labyrinth mythos, and you’ll see a few familiar faces in it, and say, “So that’s where they went!”

Also, it has a scene in which a Tyrannosaurus fights a giant robot…

So, anyway, I’ll soon cross that off the list. And before any of you shout, “Where is ______ novel?” I’d refer you back to the pic below, which tells you exactly where it is.

message 27: by Kevin (last edited Jul 09, 2014 04:57PM) (new)

Thanks for this info William.

I'm not sure how I feel about T-Rex fighting a giant robot! WTF! LOL!

Any new news on the release date?

message 28: by William (new)

William (wmcc) I haven't heard anything lately Kevin i suppose we will just have to be patient.LOL!!!

message 29: by Kevin (new)

Casey wrote: "Keene is on my "Must Try" list, but T-Rex and robots? Please give me a good suggestion on a place to start with this author."

You could try Castaways.
Castaways (Leisure Fiction) by Brian Keene

message 30: by JDB (last edited Nov 20, 2014 07:12AM) (new)

JDB | 64 comments Casey, Castaways would be a great place to start but the real deal would be his first novel The Rising. It's an apocalyptic zombie book that put Brian Keene on the map. It's a good book and if you like zombie novels you will be very pleased with this work. It does have a sequel, so be warned, the first book's ending may surprise you.

If you do read this book, be sure to get the authors preferred text, which has been correctly edited.

The Rising by Brian Keene