David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Dust & Decay (Rot & Ruin, #2)
This topic is about Dust & Decay
Buddy Reads! > Dust & Decay Buddy Read!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
Jenny and I are starting a buddy read soon of Jonathan Maberry's Dust & Decay, the sequel to Rot & Ruin. Anyone is welcome to join in the discussion!!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments Love this series. I need to read book 3 soon. The first two books are great on audiobook btw :)

message 3: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
You can join us for book 3, Heidi! I think there were others who wanted to read it as well.

Well, I went ahead and started, I hope that's okay!
19 % in, not a lot has happened yet. (view spoiler)

message 4: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Of course it's OK and I started too ;) 13% in!

(view spoiler)

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Tom!!!! Love Tom!

message 6: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lol! The buddy read of the 4th book is going to be epic!

message 7: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

LOL, that part with Nix cracking Benny in the head with her stick had my giggling!

message 8: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hehe me too! 38% now (view spoiler)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments I am so excited for someone to finish this one!

message 10: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm now 59% of the way in (view spoiler)

message 11: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

Heidi (Seriously. Trust me.) wrote: "I am so excited for someone to finish this one!"

At the rate I'm going, I'll probably finish tomorrow! I have a packed morning, though, I have to do a physical and drug testing for my new job, then some HR paperwork. Start orientation on Thursday! Woot, woot!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments Jenny wrote: "Heidi (Seriously. Trust me.) wrote: "I am so excited for someone to finish this one!"

At the rate I'm going, I'll probably finish tomorrow! I have a packed morning, though, I have to do a physica..."

I will know when someone has finished it by the spoiler tags! Can't wait! p.s. I agree with your comments about the "plot device" and was irritated with that at first as well but by the middle to the end of the book I just kind of went with it. I did roll my eyes at first though, which I normally don't do with this series.

message 13: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

LOL! I continued to bug me and I kept thinking "ARGH! If he'd just come up with a better reason for Chong to end up off on his own it would have been waaaaay better!" But like you, I just went with it, and it certainly was a necessary thing to make the book TOTALLY AWESOME!

I'm 95% done (just the epilogue to go) and wow...just wow, what a climax (that went on for like 25% of the book!). Another awesome read, I'm happy happy happy (view spoiler)

Thanks Jenny! Can't wait to read the next one with you and Heidi and anyone else who wants in!!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments Yay David! SO glad you are almost done so we can chat! (view spoiler) Book 3 is en route to my library for me so I hope I can finally join a buddy read while others are reading it for once!

message 15: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

I finished it, and loved it!! (view spoiler)
Thanks, David, great read, and I can't wait for the third one!!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments Jenny wrote: "I finished it, and loved it!! [spoilers removed]
Thanks, David, great read, and I can't wait for the third one!!"

Yay Jenny!

message 17: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

Heidi (Seriously. Trust me.) wrote: "Yay David! SO glad you are almost done so we can chat! [spoilers removed] Book 3 is en route to my library for me so I hope I can finally join a buddy read while others are reading it for once!"

I should be able to pick it up from the library next week!

message 18: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny wrote: "I finished it, and loved it!! [spoilers removed]
Thanks, David, great read, and I can't wait for the third one!!"

Awesome, I'm so glad you're enjoying this series! It got a little gory for me there toward the end, but I clenched my gut and hung in there lol! Oh yes, Nix was awesome!!

Glad Heidi can join us for the third!

message 19: by Gino (new)

Gino Alfonso | 10 comments I'm working on book 1 slow going working on my own writing too, but love R&R I have D&D can't wait to read!!!

message 20: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Awesome! The second ones really good too, you'll love it :) Enjoy!!!

message 21: by Gino (new)

Gino Alfonso | 10 comments Thanks can't wait to read your books

message 22: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thanks so much! I doubt they're better than Rot & Ruin though!

message 23: by Gino (new)

Gino Alfonso | 10 comments Where can I find it? Ill be near a Barnes and Noble tomorrow.

message 24: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Unfortunately they're still only available in print on Amazon.com. Or they're available everywhere ebooks are sold if you have an ereader :)

Thanks for the support mate and I'll respond to your message soon :)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments I am picking up book 3 this weekend so let me know when you all are ready! Yay!

message 26: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rock on!!

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I love this series and will definitely be popping in to offer my two cents. Haha

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments Wendy F wrote: "I love this series and will definitely be popping in to offer my two cents. Haha"

Yay! I love Wendy's two cents :)

message 29: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hehe sounds good Wendy!!

Wendy F wrote: "I love this series and will definitely be popping in to offer my two cents. Haha"

I'll be keeping tabs as well. I'm already having flashbacks of when I read the third book. Apparently I was sitting at a coffee shop for some of it (per my review). I am completely and utterly invested in these characters.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments I just picked up book 3 today!

message 32: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have mine as well...David suggested Wednesday for our buddy read?

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments Sounds good - I have two other library books to read and I want to start David's Country series this week if I am feeling better :)

message 34: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have plenty to read,too, lol! But I'm excited for Flesh & Bone! Its going to be so different without Tom, though :(

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments I am interested to actually read it Jenny because I listened to the first two on audiobook (and LOVED them on audio) but this one is not available on audio :( Per the author there was a conflict with the narrator (I emailed him :) I flipped through it quickly at the library and am excited to have actual pictures this time!

message 36: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yay, that's awesome, Heidi! (about the pics lol)

Oh yea! The collector zombie hunter cards!

message 38: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lol love the cards! And that's hilarious you emailed him! Well done :)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Totally love the cards! My daughter loves to open the books and look at the zombie cards too.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments Ohhhh I hope there are cards in book 3. I feel so left out! I love audiobooks but sometimes you miss things - that is the same reason I had to buy a print copy of The Book Thief because I missed the pictures in there as well (Max's) and I went to the library to look at A Monster Calls, which also had awesome pictures.

message 41: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy F wrote: "Totally love the cards! My daughter loves to open the books and look at the zombie cards too."

Haha, that's awesome!!

message 42: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Heidi (Seriously. Trust me.) wrote: "Ohhhh I hope there are cards in book 3. I feel so left out! I love audiobooks but sometimes you miss things - that is the same reason I had to buy a print copy of The Book Thief because I missed ..."

Yeah, that's true about audio and sometimes true about ebook too, because you can't see the maps and things that are too small. Print always is still the BEST!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments David wrote: "Heidi (Seriously. Trust me.) wrote: "Ohhhh I hope there are cards in book 3. I feel so left out! I love audiobooks but sometimes you miss things - that is the same reason I had to buy a print cop..."

Print is still my favorite - I have to flip pages!

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I love print! I'll read a book in e-form, love it and buy it in print, then I read it again just to feel the pages.

message 46: by Cindy III (new) - added it

Cindy III Karen wrote: "Tom!!!! Love Tom!"

Me too.

message 47: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cindy wrote: "Karen wrote: "Tom!!!! Love Tom!"

Me too."

He's awesome :) Have you read all three books?

message 48: by Gino (new)

Gino Alfonso | 10 comments I'm about halfway through Rot & Ruin very cool so far

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments Gino wrote: "I'm about halfway through Rot & Ruin very cool so far"

Yay!

message 50: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gino wrote: "I'm about halfway through Rot & Ruin very cool so far"

Awesome! Glad you're enjoying it :)

« previous 1