SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

General Topics > Iain M. Banks dies at age 59

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06...

Novelist Iain Banks, who enlivened Scottish literature for three decades with his dark humour, has died from cancer just days before the release of his 27th and final novel "The Quarry".

Banks announced he was suffering from the disease in April and said he had asked his partner, the author Adele Hartley, if "she will do me the honour of becoming my widow" - the ghoulish humour, he explained, helped them cope with his impending death.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I was coming here to post the same message. He was my favorite among the living science fiction authors and perhaps the most "literary" in the genre.

message 3: by Charles (last edited Jun 09, 2013 05:59PM) (new)

Charles (nogdog) He will be sorely missed. I, as well, can think of no other SF author writing today that I liked better than Mr. Banks. Between his skill and talent along with the willingness to suppose that mankind is not necessarily destined to live in some dystopia, I usually found his books to be both enjoyable and thought-stimulating.

message 4: by John (new)

John Baker (bakerjw) | 39 comments And I just started reading Consider Phlebas too. Hate to see the loss of a good author.

message 5: by Chas (new)

Chas (chazza123) There was a good interview with him on a Review Show special with Kirsty Wark on BBC 2 recently, catch it if you can on the iPlayer site.