Horror Aficionados discussion

Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Kushiel's Dart
Buddy Reads > Buddy Read-Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Nikki (last edited Jun 09, 2013 07:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments ~Read at your own pace or choose a pace

~Post your thoughts, questions, and interesting quotes, etc.

~Could you be so kind as to let us know the page/percent you are at when commenting so we know if we want to read it or not in case someone has not made it there yet?

~Also, to add spoilers tags

< spoiler >Type what you want here< /spoiler >

click on (some html is ok) and it will show you.
Left bracket, type the word spoiler, right bracket, type what you want here, then left bracket, forward slash, type the word spoiler again, then right bracket
No spaces :)

Feel free to join in at any time :)

So far it's:
Nikki
Maxine
Ctgt
Walter

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments You can add my name in as well, Nikki. I'm on page 734 of the paperback (out of 912).

Sounds terribly intimidating, but (at least for me), it's gone by fast. And I'm a sluggish reader. Most of the time.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments I added you, Walter :)

I think I may start a few days early as I finished one of my reads ahead of time.

message 4: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I read this a few years ago and will be interested in seeing what others think.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Chapter 1- I love this line~
(view spoiler)

Ctgt | 761 comments It hasn't been too long since I read this, a year and a half or so, but I had forgotten how much I enjoyed her prose style. I think Walter had mentioned something similar in another thread.

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments I did indeed, Ctgt. Her prose style is like the literary equivalent of comfort food. For me anyway.

And for anyone who's interested, the Sword & Laser folks here on Goodreads did a video interview with Carey recently. Here's a link to it:

http://www.goodreads.com/videos/39418...

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Chapter 6 The writing is flowing now and so is the story~

I feel like a stubborn child when starting a new read and the author has to take me by the hand and introduce me to this new world I am to live in until the story is finished. I want to quit, roll my eyes, throw my hand in the air, find no pleasure in it. But as soon a I find my place in it all, the hardship it caused my mind to think and understand things that weren't natural to my way of thinking, the story grabs me and starts to flow and I find myself reading easier and more fluidly, careless as to which direction it will go, only knowing I want to get there.

For some reason that point came as soon as she left Cereus House.

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments Going to start this one soon!

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Hiya, Maxine! Wondered where you were. Chat soon :)

message 11: by Ctgt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ctgt | 761 comments I agree Nikki, world building can be a bitch.

I found the Judeo-Christian references interesting. I'm not sure I picked up on that the first time through.

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments I'm out of town, so it may be a couple days before I get far enough into this one to comment.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments No problem.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments pg 75

~All knowledge is worth having~

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments After the Showing and lesson have started.
(view spoiler)

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments I'm a little ways in now. The book is intriguing, but I've got a sinking feeling for Phedre, lol. I like her friend, Hyacinthe.

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Nikki wrote: After the Showing and lesson have started.(view spoiler)

Such a familiar truth, but so beautifully expressed.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Walter wrote: "Nikki wrote: After the Showing and lesson have started.(view spoiler)

Such a familiar truth, but so beautifully expressed."

Beautiful indeed~

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Chapter Eighty-One: A quote that resonated particularly well for me: (view spoiler)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments I love the little nuggets of prose that resonate. They are spaced here and there throughout this read. I look forward to catching them :)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments pg 136

(view spoiler)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Chapter 22
(view spoiler)

message 23: by Ctgt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ctgt | 761 comments I had forgotten what a good job Carey did with Phedre. Many times when authors write younger characters they lose track of how a kid would act and what they would say. There are many times early on here that Phedre acts just like a child, jealous, petty and impetuous. (Not that adults don't act like that but you know what I mean)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Jealous for sure :)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Chapter28 pg 258 Things are heating up. Phedre is good at spying and really enjoys what she does. I was sorry to (view spoiler)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Nikki, in reference to your last spoiler, lol.

May make things interesting indeed. :)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments O-ho! I'm on the right track. I must read on to see what transpires :)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Joscelin is having a hard time with his new position.

Was it smart for Phedre to make a promise to a client that she may not be able to keep? I think not.

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments I've come to really like Joscelin. I'm a little farther ahead and he's becoming my favorite character of the book!

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Chapter 38 (view spoiler)

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments Nikki wrote: "Chapter 38 [spoilers removed]"

That was some pretty gut wrenching stuff :( But inevitable in a book this long, I think.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Chapter 41 (view spoiler)

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments FYI, The third book in the series, Kushiel's Avatar, is on sale at Amazon. Kushiel's Avatar for $2.99.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Yeah, I got it even though I already have the paperback. Thanks.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Chapter 68+ (view spoiler)

I hope to finish by tomorrow. I definitely can't wait to find out how Melisande reacts when in the presence of Phedre again.

Maxine Marsh | 736 comments Nikki wrote: "Chapter 68+ So many things are happening. Joscelin has been through so much, especially at the hands of the Skaldi. I was glad when they were able to escape. If Phedre and he didn't have a bond, t..."

I hope to finish today too! Getting into the book was slow going for me but I am attached to the characters now. I'm impressed with Phedre's growth as a character.

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments I love hearing from other folks who are enjoying the book as much as I did.

In fact, it so impressed me that the viewpoint character of my work-in-progress has turned into a fan of Carey's work, and of Phedre in particular. :)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments I have finished one of my monstrously big reads of the summer and I am proud of myself and of Carey for being able to carry me through her entire read with curiosity of what was to come.

I loved it. I read some reviews that said they weren't into barbarian kink and I have to question whether they read the book at all. She did not want to be with the Skaldi, but did what she must to survive and in doing so, she learned about being taken without permission and that even though she was a servant, she was a pampered one and people in other cultures lived their lives by different rules.

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments One thing I'm wondering, prior to beginning the second novel in the trilogy: (view spoiler)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments (view spoiler)