Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Retail therapy is totally allowed. It's sad about Banks. :(

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

1/3 of the way thru the month and I haven't cheated!! *pats self on the back*

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Weasel wrote: "Kate wrote: "1/3 of the way thru the month and I haven't cheated!! *pats self on the back*"

Have you read much of anything?"

Well...no. What's your point? :P

Two novels (Queen of Attolia and one which I'm not admitting to you or you'll yell) and Kaje Harper's LHNB story.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Weasel wrote: "Kate wrote: "Well...no. What's your point? :P"

Must I have a point? I can't be bothered! I'm busy!"

Mmmm hmmm. Surfing the web and reading The Hydrogen Sonata probably.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

How's the outline going?

message 6: by Emma Sea (new)

Emma Sea (pekapeka) I'm going to have to cheat: I feel tense and uncomfortable and need a happy feelgood read. Like Fear, Hope, and Bread Pudding

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Emma wrote: "I'm going to have to cheat: I feel tense and uncomfortable and need a happy feelgood read. Like Fear, Hope, and Bread Pudding"

Self medication is always a good reason, Emma. :)

message 8: by Emma Sea (new)

Emma Sea (pekapeka) I re-read a Mary Calmes shifter book instead. That's like candy-coated prozac.

message 9: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Emma wrote: "I re-read a Mary Calmes shifter book instead. That's like candy-coated prozac."

Heh! Which one?

(And way to stay strong!)

message 10: by Emma Sea (last edited Jun 11, 2013 01:59PM) (new)

Emma Sea (pekapeka) Change of Heart aka Jory is a Werepanther

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 11, 2013 02:10PM) (new)

Werepanther Jory sounds awesome. *goes off to find someone who can lend it*

ETA: Isn't this the one Damon Suede gushed all over? His reviews make me want to laugh. So much pretentiousness he has to be doing it on purpose.

message 12: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Emma wrote: "Change of Heart aka Jory is a Werepanther"

I don't know if I can do Werepanther Jory. I felt something break inside of me after Timing Jory. (It might have been the part when they're going to a wedding, and all the bridesmaids turn to tell Timing Jory how gorgeous he is...)

Maybe shifter Jory is more tolerable though. I should try it sometime.

message 13: by Emma Sea (new)

Emma Sea (pekapeka) ttg wrote: "Maybe shifter Jory is more tolerable though. I should try it sometime.

aah, no. Shifter Jory is worse. He's a magic one-in-a-million special-snowflake shifter and everybody loves him and wants to touch him and join his tribe. It's like distilled essence of Jory.

SN: That bride in Timing is certifiably batshit.

message 14: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments Shifter!Jory is on my omg-wtf-bbq list. *nods*

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't wait.

message 16: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments Did Jenn send it to you yet?

message 17: by Jenn (new)

Jenn yep! :)

message 18: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments So.... I ran across this particular Sherlock fic and when I went to save it to my hard drive it said it was already there and so I searched on my kindle and it showed up and I clicked on it and then it downloaded it from somewhere and then it said 'New' in the list. Did I break my self imposed rule or not?

message 19: by Jess (new)

Jess Candela (jesscandela) | 9 comments Mod
I've barely read anything, which makes not buying much less impressive. And even so, I cheated. I couldn't resist Reach for the Moon for $0.99 at ARe.

Emma, I hope you love FHaBP as much as I did! It's definitely a happy feelgood read.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

LenaLena wrote: "So.... I ran across this particular Sherlock fic and when I went to save it to my hard drive it said it was already there and so I searched on my kindle and it showed up and I clicked on it and the..."

I'm so confused the answer must be "no". My paperwhite did something almost like that to me the other day and I have no idea why. I think you get a pass for electronic weirdness.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

But the fanfic I did this with was one I'd already started. And normally when you put a mobi on your kindle and open it, it creates another file with the same name as the AZW3 file (can't remember the extension) and never ever says "new" again.

message 22: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments Mine only say New until I open it, or until I download another batch. I am thinking this is a fic I downloaded to the K3 before and now got downloaded to the paperwhite.

message 23: by Susan (new)

Susan (syleegurl) | 53 comments Mod
I.
AM.
A.
FAILURE.

Shit. I'm out too. I cheated today and bought Starry Knight. F'ing GR! I totally could have waited on this one, but since everyone else was pouncing on it, I gave in.

Go ahead, vote me off the island.

12 measly days...and I was doing SO well.

message 24: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "12 measly days...and I was doing SO well."

Come back to the island. :D You still have 16 days to go through any titles chilling on your shelf.

message 25: by Susan (new)

ttg wrote: "Susan wrote: "12 measly days...and I was doing SO well."

Come back to the island. :D You still have 16 days to go through any titles chilling on your shelf."

YES. Thanks for the invite. I'm back IN! :)

message 26: by Susan (new)

ttg wrote: "I don't know if I can do Werepanther Jory. I felt something break inside of me after Timing Jory. (It might have been the part when they're going to a wedding, and all the bridesmaids turn to tell Timing Jory how gorgeous he is...)..."

OMG...how did I miss the whole Jory conversation? Timing Jory is not my fave, but Timing's Cowboy Sam (Rand) is!!!!

message 27: by Emma Sea (new)

Emma Sea (pekapeka) I have already saved a not-insubstantial amount :)

message 28: by Susan (new)

I'm at $2.99 spent (probably $100 saved already) for the month.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I've actually managed to clean up some of the stuff hanging around on my kindle. Admittedly a lot has just been deleted, but they were from the days of grabbing stupid freebies: amazon, dsp, mlr.

Of course, LHNB has been loading things back up again. Who ever came up with the evil website idea is, well, evil.

message 30: by Emma Sea (new)

Emma Sea (pekapeka) Heh, that's Buy No Books June, the extreme Weasel style

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Weasel wrote: "And I ended up starting a library book. :)"

Figures. :D

I can't deal with that many pages on my Kindle. Even if I put things in collections or whatever. Way too many choices!

message 32: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Weasel wrote: "Hmmm. Do books you've already read count? 5 out of Lauren Haney 8 Lieutenant Bak mysteries are on $0.99 for kindle right now, so I bought them all. :/"

I think it counts. :P But yay for finding a good sale. :)

message 33: by Emma Sea (last edited Jun 19, 2013 12:34PM) (new)

Emma Sea (pekapeka) I think all bargains-too-good-to-pass-up don't count. I bought two 99-cent kindle reads, but only because they were already on my want-to-read pile.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

It counts. No leeway. :)

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Weasel wrote: "Kate wrote: "It counts. No leeway. :)"

But I'm not adding to the TBR pile!"

No buy = no spend money. So, whether it goes on the TBR isn't the criterion we're working with here. :P

message 36: by Susan (new)

Emma wrote: "I think all bargains-too-good-to-pass-up don't count. I bought two 99-cent kindle reads, but only because they were already on my want-to-read pile."

ha! this makes me laugh. Daniel is making us all into cheaters! :)

message 37: by Susan (new)

Weasel wrote: "A whole month is a long time though. Maybe like no-buy tuesdays would work better for me."

*smh*...oh Weasel... :)

message 38: by Ais (new)

Ais (aisness) | 26 comments lol I was doing so well and then I discovered the Raised by Wolves series... I'm telling myself I didn't cheat because I already had the first book, and it wouldn't have been right to read only the first book and not the rest of the series.

OH. Damn. I just realized I gave someone money to buy another book today.

Wow I suck at this XD

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Ais wrote: "lol I was doing so well and then I discovered the Raised by Wolves series... I'm telling myself I didn't cheat because I already had the first book, and it wouldn't have been right to read only the..."

LOL. You're forgiven. It's too rare that you find something so absolutely awesome that you want to roll around in, take to bed with you and snuggle, reread constantly and stay lost in the story. Fuck RL anyway, you need more Wolves. :D Now you won't WANT to buy any more books for awhile because nothing is going to come close to that. Win-win.

message 40: by Jenn (new)

Jenn I've bought NOTHING!!!!!! I've also only read like 2 books, so I kind of suck. I have maybe 8 books started. Whoops.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Jenn wrote: "I've bought NOTHING!!!!!! I've also only read like 2 books, so I kind of suck. I have maybe 8 books started. Whoops."

Hey, two finished is better than 2 more started, right?

message 42: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 28 comments Mod
Congratulations, Jenn! I haven't bought anything either, but I'm really too much of a cheapskate to be a compulsive book-buyer so it's not much of an achievement. I haven't read any of the books taking up space on my hard drive (mostly free downloads), so you're ahead of me there too!

message 43: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Kate wrote: "Jenn wrote: "I've bought NOTHING!!!!!! I've also only read like 2 books, so I kind of suck. I have maybe 8 books started. Whoops."

Hey, two finished is better than 2 more started, right?"

Good point. Just need more hours in the day to read.

message 44: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Cheryl wrote: "Congratulations, Jenn! I haven't bought anything either, but I'm really too much of a cheapskate to be a compulsive book-buyer so it's not much of an achievement. I haven't read any of the books ta..."

haahhah, true dat. I really wanna buy the new Mary Roach, though ngl.

message 45: by Jess (new)

I bought one book, it was one I've been waiting for and it was on sale for .99. How could I resist? HOW? So, natch, I didn't.

Of course, I've also barely read anything.

message 46: by Ais (new)

Ais (aisness) | 26 comments whaaat, 99 cents? You'd be crazy not to get it at that price!

message 47: by Jess (new)

Yay, validation, thank you! :D It really didn't feel like cheating to get a book I've been waiting for on super sale like that. And, frankly, if that's wrong I don't want to be right. ;)

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I think we're getting support for the wrong kind of behavior around here. :P

message 49: by Emma Sea (new)

Emma Sea (pekapeka) I felt really itchy not buying anything for the first couple of weeks. New books are like a dopamine hit. I kept loading up online shopping carts then forcing myself to log out.

message 50: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
I still say even .99 cents is cheating, but I'm bitter because I held out on a .99 cent sale and it's over now.

Wait, so who is still on the "no-buy" at all? Kate, Cheryl, me...Lenore? Marlene?

« previous 1